cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connorb057
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,955
Message 1 of 3

When will Lenovo Fix these Flickering Thinkpad Docks?!?

Hello, for the past 2.5 years I've been in IT at a company that uses about 250 Lenovo Thinkpad Laptops (T440-T460) along with Thinkpad Pro docking stations. Since I've been here we've had issues with these docking stations just losing signal while the employee is working and their screen goes black multiple times a day. I've since been promoted to Desktop Engineer and put in charge of the fleet of laptops and equipment. We've tried swapping cables, laptops, etc. We finally narrowed it down the these docks. We're still getting BRAND NEW Lenovo docks that we've been purchasing out of the box that do this and the only thing that we've been able to do is warranty them and hope we don't get additional bad ones.

We have to replace atleast one of these docks a week. Also trying the firmware update that Lenovo has provided for the docking stations has never worked for us.

Guru
Views: 2,918
Message 2 of 3

Re: When will Lenovo Fix these Flickering Thinkpad Docks?!?

Hi, welcome to the forum

I think you already done the steps to analize your issue so it may be the right thing to open a ticket to Lenovo.

You are using what Lenovo calls "ThinkPad Pro Dock 65W and 90W" ?

Let me just list the actions that I would take, just in case you forgot some step.

1) Update the Firmware of the T440 and T460

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

2) Update the firmware of the Dock.  - 2.33.000     6 Jan 2017

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd027981

3) Update the video drivers on the Lenovo Machines. If some machines are the one that cames with the NVidia drivers, update those too.

4) Do some trial and error with different screens, maybe using some HDMI TV that you may have at the office.

5) Do some trial and error with different adapters to use different port of the dock like DVI2HDMI, or DP2HDMI.

6) Also do some trial and error with different cabled (You already did that too).

7) My last ideas ( and not supported by Lenovo) will be to try DriverEasy to see if there is a newer Video Driver that is not officially released by Lenovo but that may help. Since you are an IT guy I think you would not have a problem using it for a little trial and error test.

But again, I think you should open a formal support ticket from your company to Lenovo.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

connorb057
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,912
Message 3 of 3

Re: When will Lenovo Fix these Flickering Thinkpad Docks?!?

Thanks for the quick reply Martin! We've tried all of these as well. We'll go ahead and open a support ticket with Lenovo to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors