Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kronos2
Paper Tape
Views: 2,612
Message 1 of 16

X1 Thinkpad Lenovo 65W Travel AC Adapter - no country plugs!?

Hello,

Lenovo offers the 65W Travel AC Adapter to be lighter and smaller than the ordinary AC Adapters,

which it is why it is handy for travel.

Also, it comes with a country specific plug, that can be removed / changed,

anyhow, I learned Lenovo does not think that to exchange the power plug makes it a travel adapter, apparently.

This is despite the fact that the country plug can be removed.

Amazing.

So here there is few questions:

1) why does Lenovo not sell a kit with the spare country plugs for different countries?

After all, that was meant to be a travel adapter?! Ah no, i forgot, the hotline told me it is only a travel adapter because it is smaller and lighter - NOT becuase you can remove the country specific plug!!!

2) The only picture with the other country plugs is attached, anyhow I found it on a site with bad english, which is why my concern is it might be a copy, not the original part.

3) This document shows the US, CN and EU country plugs with Replacement Number Parts (FRU),

e.g. FRU 03X6286 for the US country plug. Anyhow, nobody seems to be able to ship such a single country plug.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/acc100125

4)This document shows the country plugs for other regions, e.g. UK, AU, BR...

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/acc100168

Why are these two seperate documents / what is the difference - if there is any -

since the body part FRU 03X8995 seems to be the same in both editions?!

5) In case those parts can not be shipped, is it known if Lenovo relied on a standard housing / enclosure

for which I could find the country plugs elsewhere?

Thanks a lot.

kronos2
Paper Tape
Views: 2,543
Message 2 of 16

Re: X1 Thinkpad Lenovo 65W Travel AC Adapter - no country plugs!?

Hello, will a Lenovo engineer look at this soon? I would like to know why it is that one can not get separate country plugs!

In the meantime i am furnishing a German version of this post as Germans are focused on environmental friendly business practice,

this AC power plug topic might be a match for the "planned product obsolescence" forum.
Monearqoqandi
What's DOS?
Views: 2,344
Message 3 of 16

Hi there, 

I'm searching to buy the US plug in peace for the charger. 

Is it sold separately and where can i buy it from? 

Thanks 

yugoport
Punch Card
Views: 1,856
Message 4 of 16

Hi folks,

has anyone ended understanding this? I wanted to buy the travel adapter for my x1 yoga but is such a confusion that I don't know which and where to buy.

Thanks

joe75
HDMI
Views: 1,090
Message 5 of 16

Hello Kronos,

I am in the same boat as you.

I  live in Europe but i bought my Lenovo product in the us with the lenovo travel adapter and i was obviously clearly expecting to find in the box a EU Plug also...

Why lenovo provides only on local plug for a travel adapter is beyond me since each plug costs probably a few dozen cents( less than a dollar.).. and as always LENOVO don't respond here! 

I don't intend to buy the european version AC adapter so i am forced to use another travel plug on top of it!

So this is another one reason why i am now very picky when i have to get a lenovo product now which is a shame because i like their product but i find their support a bit lacking(Thinkpad 8 anyone)

Please Lenovo give us the opportunity to just buy the plug prongs parts for a few dollars, thank you very much

Thinkpad 8 4G/128 GB LTE 64 bits Windows 10 pro/8.1 pro
yugoport
Punch Card
Views: 982
Message 6 of 16

It's just ridiculous.

you can see my post regarding the adapter plug here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-Options-and-Accessories/Where-to-buy-EU-tip-for-Lenovo-65W-tra...

First, I don't understand why the travel adapter is not the standard adapter. it's lighter, handier and it has the same 65W.

Second, How the hell a travel ( HEY, the thing says "TRAVEL ADAPTER".. TRAVEL ) comes only with one plug. 

Third, to buy this thing, it's just difficult, I had to buy it in the lenovo US online store and ship it to Europe.

You see, lenovo might build good machines, but i's just a messy experience. I have bought my X1 yoga 1st generation immediately after it was launched.. Then in my company, people liked the laptop and we bought for other employees. To make a better experience we have bought the ThinkPad OneLink + docks.. then we bought more x1 yogas, the 2nd generation ones, and we just learned that the docks are not compatible anymore.. Seriously Lenovo?? Now we do what? we buy new docks or we upgrade several 1 year old 2500$ laptops.. It's just ridiculous.

Sorry for the vent, but do yourselves a favor and buy a surface or a apple laptop.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Lenovo Employee Oemchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 922
Message 7 of 16

Hello yugoport,

I don't know what exactly is the product strategy behind these decisions, but normally most customers simply buy a universal travel adapter for 5€-15€ and use it in conjunktion with the standard power supply that comes with the notebook.

That's a quick and cheap solution, that seems to be ok for most customers.

It's probably not economically feasible for Lenovo to produce such a cheap item, when nobody will buy it for a profitable price, and it's already available for such a low price everywhere.

And there is no need for a Lenovo brand on it, if it works just as well with a third party product...

Lenovo Employee PhilX1
Lenovo Employee
Views: 851
Message 8 of 16

I've asked the after-sales service. Replaceable country plugs do be unavailable, but I got some interesting info.

The reason why there's no country plugs is:

Different countries have different standards. Safety certifications are needed to validate all the launched products. This also goes for plugs. 

Acquiring safety certifications needs a bunch of money, which means the price will go up much, not for the material and manufacture cost but certifications.

They think the price is too high to customers just for the small plugs, which is unworthy of.

So, I'd recommend you to buy a plug adapter from a 3rd party manufacturer.

Lenovo Employee Oemchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 845
Message 9 of 16

please have a look at this link:

https://support.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/acc100125

I hope this helps. 

joe75
HDMI
Views: 735
Message 10 of 16

Hi thanks for your link 

https://support.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/acc100125

but unfortunately  i did not find it really helpful

The plug only part for France (European) would be 4X20H15596 and is not available for order , only the complete charger EU 03X6288 is found for around 33 dollars.
Also there is an additional 15 euros charge for order less than 100 euros which amounts 48 dollars when all i want is just  a piece that costs less than 1 dollar Smiley Sad

Field Replaceable Units (FRU)
FRU Option
Description Part # Part # H S
----------- ------ ------- - -
Lenovo 65W Travel AC Adapter - US 03X6286 4X20H15594 R 1
Lenovo 65W Travel AC Adapter - CN 03X6287 4X20H15595 R 1
Lenovo 65W Travel AC Adapter - EU 03X6288 4X20H15596 R 1

Thinkpad 8 4G/128 GB LTE 64 bits Windows 10 pro/8.1 pro
Top Kudoed Authors