Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

External Displays, Options and AccessoriesDisplays, Options and Accessories
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 7

y27q-20 displays light grey as white

2021-04-16, 6:14 AM

Hello,

I just bought a new y27q-20 and using it for the first time, noticed that the light greys are being displayed as pure white. In the reference image below, the last grey bar before the White (235) bar, is being displayed as pure white. There is a range of light greys that are displayed as pure white.

I have tried:

• Changing the monitor's settings: brightness, contrast, modes, color temperature, etc.
  • Changed the resolution in windows
  • Changed the cable (HDMI)
  • Other devices
  • Used other monitors at both FHD, QHD and 4k, without this issue via HDMI.

Is there anything else I can try? This monitor wasn't cheap and was marketed as having good color representation. If I cannot resolve this issue, I will be returning it.

Example Image:

Options

5656 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28789 Page Views

• Views: 28789
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:y27q-20 displays light grey as white

2021-04-16, 9:44 AM

Hi katonda89!

Welcome to community forums

Can you send a sample photo or image on the screen? try installing the Software and Utilities for the monitor here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/monitors-and-projectors/lcd-monitors/y27q-20-monitor/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Software%20and%20Utilities

Let us know.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-16, 16:51 PM

Thanks for the reply Jwes_Lenovo.

I installed the drivers, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. Is there anything else you could recommend? I really want to be able to use this monitor and avoid the hassle of returning it.

Options

5656 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28789 Page Views

• Views: 28789
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-04-16, 19:22 PM

Can you test the white screen here if it's displaying correctly? And also, kindly share a screenshot of it. Thanks

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-04-17, 11:57 AM

Hey,

White looks white. No dead pixels. My issue is that very light grey becomes white.

Here's the screenshot. I'm not sure if it actually shows what my monitor is displaying or if it shows what my PC is trying to have my monitor display.

Fullscreen:

And here's the screenshot of the greyscale from my first post to test if screenshots actually capture what is being displayed.

Edit: They don't. On my laptops TN panel, I see the lightest grey bar in the screenshot below, on the y27q-20, I don't.

And a picture of the y27q-20 from my phone:

Edit 2:
I just realized that the same is happening to the darkest grey. It is being displayed as black. Seems both very light and very dark greys are being clipped. I wonder if it affects colors of other hues too. 

Options

586 Posts

06-26-2016

Germany

1099 Signins

16369 Page Views

• Views: 16369
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-04-17, 15:07 PM

My advice would be to not use HDMI.  DP/USB-C  is better  for connecting monitors to computer systems.

If you need to use HDMI  then check https://www.howtogeek.com/285277/how-to-avoid-washed-out-colors-when-using-hdmi-on-your-pc/

Tech-Savvyness does not replace reading the fine manual.
Options

4 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-04-17, 17:11 PM

Thanks for this tip, aUserHasNoName. I appreciate any responses. Unfortunately my laptop does not have DP. Perhaps this will work for another user facing similar issues, that finds this thread.

I was aware of the framerate being capped via HDMI, but I did not expect the colors to suffer as well.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I have connected to a 4k IPS monitor (will not name brand/model since I don't know Lenovo's forum policies) without this type of issue. This is a QHD monitor, so I don't see why it should be bottlenecked when the other is not.

I tried using the USB cable provided, but it didn't display. I don't think it's meant to be used as a display cable according to the documentation. It seems to be meant to used as a relay for connecting peripherals to the computer, via the monitor.

This monitor doesn't have a USB-C connection option afaik. It comes with DP and HDMI, one of which only seems to function to a limited extent (at least my unit does).

I've got a few more days before my window to return it ends. Based on the specs and design, it was my favorite. It would be a shame if I wasn't able to make it work for me.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)