Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjohns07
What's DOS?
Views: 803
Message 1 of 3

EX124G MP3 Player

I just bought an EX124G, and installed an 8 gig micro sp chip.  I've downloaded music to both the internal 50 meg memory and the 8 gig chip.  Both contents were sync'ed to folders, but the phone won't play them.  I assume I have to move songs from the folders into playlists first, but neither the phone nor the motorola manual provides a clue on how to do this.  What do I do?

jjohns07
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 3

Re: EX124G MP3 Player

Thanks, Tom.  Since my posting, I have discovered many of the same steps you mentioned, so I guess this must be the correct procedure.  I still have difficulties in several areas. though.

First, I discovered that Windows Media Player does not automatically convert my music files from .mma to .mp3, as it is supposed to.  I guess the cellphone is not correctly identifying itself as an MP3 player.  To work around that, I have had to first convert the files on the computer, using available freeware.  This works, but is very aggravating. Since Windows Media Player doesn't show file extensions, so you have to take care that you select correctly from the two versions now in the library.

Second, the synching process doesn't always transfer the music titles correctly, and stores some of them on the memory card with "unk" or some other obscure coded title.  You have to do some fishing to dicover which as which.  For that reason, I certainly agree with you that it is best to sync on album at a time.

Third, the cellphone software doesn't always put the tracks on your playlist in the order you add them.  This is an aggravation  for me, as I listen to a lot of classical music which have multiple movements.  It would be nice to hear them in order.

One other thing I have discovered is that the player will stop after playing  only one song on the play list.  This is another aggravation, since I listen while I am exercising, and I don't like to have to stop and get the playlist going again.

Thanks again for answering my post.  Any comments on the above?

Best wishes for a great holiday season!

Jack in Melbourne

tom98168
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3

Re: EX124G MP3 Player

Thanks, Tom. Since my posting, I have discovered many of the same steps you mentioned, so I guess this must be the correct procedure. I still have difficulties in several areas. though.

First, I discovered that Windows Media Player does not automatically convert my music files from .mma to .mp3, as it is supposed to. I guess the cellphone is not correctly identifying itself as an MP3 player. To work around that, I have had to first convert the files on the computer, using available freeware. This works, but is very aggravating. Since Windows Media Player doesn't show file extensions, so you have to take care that you select correctly from the two versions now in the library.

I don’t use Windows Media Player as anything other than an MP3 player on my machine, so I can’t help you there. I store all my music on my computer as MP3s, and manipulate those files (and copy them to my cellphone) using Windows Explorer (ie Win 7’s file manager). I don’t even use WMP as a CD ripper. Instead, I use the Goldwave audio editor for that purpose.

Second, the synching process doesn't always transfer the music titles correctly, and stores some of them on the memory card with "unk" or some other obscure coded title. You have to do some fishing to dicover which as which. For that reason, I certainly agree with you that it is best to sync on album at a time.

I’ve run into this, too. The phone objects to either long file names or special characters in the file name. (I haven’t taken the time to figure out exactly what chokes it.) When I encounter this problem, I rename the offending track or folder to a shorter name that doesn’t use any special characters.

Third, the cellphone software doesn't always put the tracks on your playlist in the order you add them. This is an aggravation for me, as I listen to a lot of classical music which have multiple movements. It would be nice to hear them in order.

When you have a playlist open, you can select the Move option (I think) from the Options menu to relocate tracks within your playlist.

One other thing I have discovered is that the player will stop after playing only one song on the play list. This is another aggravation, since I listen while I am exercising, and I don't like to have to stop and get the playlist going again.

I haven’t encountered that problem, so I can’t comment.

Happy Holidays, Jack, to you and yours.

Tom