US

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

Audio Drivers not Working for X1 Yoga 5th Gen

2020-06-19, 20:00 PM

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 Enterprise image that I created for the X1 Yoga 4th Gen, and the P43s. The image worked on those machines with no issues. I have updated this image for the X1 Yoga 5th Gen, and the P14s 1st Gen, and I'm running into issues for the X1 Yoga. [Both the 4th and 5th Gen].

On both laptops, neither the Microphone, nor the Speaker work. The image still works on the P Series laptops, and also the X13 laptop as well. Any help is welcome. 

I tried the following

• Re-installed driver
  • Un-installed driver
  • Deleted Device Driver
  • Used DDU to uninstall Realtek driver (this partially worked)
  • re-imaged, and re-installed drivers

Any help is greatly appreciated

Options

1574 Posts

03-03-2016

US

3789 Signins

45323 Page Views

• Views: 45323
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Audio Drivers not Working for X1 Yoga 5th Gen

2020-06-20, 1:47 AM

@TRCJerome ,

What image deployment tool are you using to deploy Windows 10 to these devices, SCCM/MECM, MDT, something else?

Are you creating a thick image with the drivers already in the .wim file or are you using the deployment tool to add a .wim file with no drivers and adding the model specific drivers to the image as it is being deployed?

What version of Windows 10 Enterprise are you deploying on these systems?

In the meantime, I will deploy an X1 Yoga 4th and a X1 Yoga Gen 5 with their respective driver packs and test the audio on the devices.

TLawson 

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2020

US

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-06-23, 21:40 PM
Hey, This is not using either of those tools. The image is booted to Windows Audit mode, and the drivers are installed there. Once that's done, I sysprep the image, capture it, and install it on the next machine to repeat the process. Im using Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Version 1909 I should also point out that I only have the issue after I added the X1 5th Gen Drivers. When it was only the X1 4th Gen, P43s, and P14s, the audio worked fine across those 3 machines. When I added the X1 5th Gen, Drivers, the Audio on both the X1 4th Gen, and X1 5th Gen, stopped working.
Options

1574 Posts

03-03-2016

US

3789 Signins

45323 Page Views

• Views: 45323
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-26, 19:55 PM

@TRCJerome 

I have been able to reproduce an audio issue on an X1 Yoga 4th Gen but not on the X1 Yoga Gen 5.  I have injected the P43s, P14s Gen 1, X1 Yoga 4th Gen and X1 Yoga Gen 5 driver packs on to one laptop.  By injecting so many drivers into an image, this will load potentially conflicting drivers to the driver store, which seems to be the case here.  Continuing to add drivers to a single image will cause unneeded image bloat and introduces a condition where Windows has to make a decision about potentially conflicting drivers.  Additionally, injecting drivers into an image, instead of at deployment time, means higher cost of maintenance on the images long term.

The optimal thing to do in this situation would be, at image deployment time, to inject only the drivers that apply to that device.  This would eliminate the conflicts you are experiencing.

I suggest looking at a deployment solution that would allow for this type of hardware agnostic image and then layering on the drivers, applications, and configurations to complete the process.  MECM/SCCM, or MDT come to mind right now.  Both of these are Microsoft tools and have a great deal of online support and community to assist and provide ideas.

TLawson

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2020

US

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-06-26, 21:40 PM
@TLawson, my deployment solution is Lenovo Cloud Deploy. From there, Lenovo uses my custom image to ship the laptop to our users with the image installed, and ready for Microsoft AutoPilot. From what I understand, Lenovo cannot load the drivers to the laptops as part of manufacturing If I am providing the custom image. If I am wrong about this, can you guide me on adjusting our process so Lenovo can put the correct driver in place during the manufacturing stage? The drivers at this point no longer need to work on the Gen 4 laptop as I can just make an image for those when its needed. The main issue Im running into is that on the Gen 5 laptops, the Lenovo engineer is getting an Error 10 on the Intel Smart Sound Technology OED Device when he goes to validate my image. I cant see how to fix this issue. what I can't do is make a new image. is there a way to completely remove drivers on Windows?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete