Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VanderDan
Paper Tape
Views: 659
Message 1 of 6

Can't image new x270 20K6 with Toshiba thnsf5512gpuk NVMe drive

Exactly as the tread title says. I already installed the two hotfixes in the Win7 image and re-captured it. We had to do this back with the first few NVMe drive T460's and x260s. I also put the OCZ drivers in the image. -  but still it gets a 0x0000007E boot loop after MDT applies the image. Any ideas? Is there a newer driver I should be using?

VanderDan
Paper Tape
Views: 581
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't image new x270 20K6 with Toshiba thnsf5512gpuk NVMe drive

Nothing? Who can I call at Lenovo for Help on this. We have premier support, but calling the regular line - they won't discuss using a corporately deployed image. They only care if the OEM one works - which we're obviously not using. IS there some Escalation number or email I can contact about this?

VanderDan
Paper Tape
Views: 547
Message 3 of 6

I I should add the the Samsung NVMe drives in other x270 and T470 laptops image with Windows 7, with no issue. Also - Windows 10 images on these x270's wih the Toshiba drives just fine - but we're still in testing mode with Windows 10, and we still need full Windows 7 support. I reached out to our sales rep, but was told taht we do not get to choose which drives are installed at the factory, so we can't request Samsung drives only. This issue needs to be addressed. We can't be the only company not able to image a standard Win 7 Wim file using MDT onto these drives.

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 541
Message 4 of 6

try taking the OCZ drivers out of your image.  that's likely causing your issue.  the only hotfix needed for these NVMe drives is the win7 hotfix.

VanderDan
Paper Tape
Views: 536
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

I only put the OCZ drivers in the image, because this issue was occuring before putting them in, and discovering these laptops had the Toshiba drives. I tried to image the same x270 with a previous version of the wmi, without the OCZ drivers, and I get the same result.

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 524
Message 6 of 6

VanderDan,

In researching the 0x7E boot issue, it appears this is a result of some driver not working correctly on boot.  0x7B would indicate a mass storage driver issue, so I dont think that is causing the problem.  I too recommend removing the OCZ driver unless it is absolutely needed.  Since it seems that this is a driver issue, you can do a few things.

1. Disable your Inject Drivers Task Sequence step.  If it boots fine after disabling this, it sounds like there is a problematic driver being deployed.

2. Leave the Inject Drivers Task Sequence step enabled, but after it bluescreens and starts to reboot, go into safe mode and see which driver is failing to load.  Not sure if you are out of Setup or not so this may or may not work.

In MDT, how are you controlling the drivers being delivered to the X270?  Are you using selection profiles to import only the specific drivers needed for that model and OS or are you just letting PNP detect what it thinks is best?  If you aren't using any mechanism to limit the scope of drivers to search and import, I would highly suggest looking at https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management for an excellent process for getting just the drivers you need with out the ones you don't.  Depending on your environment, this may even save you time on the length of deployments.

In addition, we have deployed our X270 20K6 without any difficulty using our Recipe Cards found here.

HTH,

Tlawson

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors