Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Siocnarf65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 938
Message 1 of 13

Changing boot order is triggering Bitlocker asking the recorvery key at reboot

Hi,

With a powershell script, I did change the boot order for T530 on dock station. After reboot, it is triggering bitlocker to ask a recovery key. This is bad.

I did a test with suspend bitlocker before the change and resume-bitlocker after the change.

How may I get that change without the recovery key need?

Thanks,

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 928
Message 2 of 13

Re: Changing boot order is triggering Bitlocker asking the recorvery key at reboot

what you're seeing is by design.  changing the boot order will prompt for the recovery key if bitlocker is not suspended.

this is documented everywhere. here's a link you should review, especially the "What causes BitLocker recovery" section.

Siocnarf65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 923
Message 3 of 13

Re: Changing boot order is triggering Bitlocker asking the recorvery key at reboot

Hi,

But I am running suspend-bitlocker before replacing the boot order and resume-bitlocker after.

Thanks,

Lenovo Employee
Views: 914
Message 4 of 13

does this happen if the system is undocked as well?
Siocnarf65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 911
Message 5 of 13

Hi,

I did not try undock. But when I will push my script, I will not be able to see if the computer is dock or undock. Why would it do a difference?

Thanks,

Lenovo Employee
Views: 899
Message 6 of 13

this is simply part of troubleshooting and process of elimination.

please try undocking the system and re-run your script to see if the issue is replicated.
Siocnarf65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 891
Message 7 of 13

Hi,

OK I did the test and without the dock bitlocker is not appearing. So what is happening exactly? How may I manage that with script?

Thanks,

Lenovo Employee
Views: 886
Message 8 of 13

what are you setting the boot order to?

are you using a mechanical dock, USB 3.0 dock, or other?
Siocnarf65
Fanfold Paper
Views: 878
Message 9 of 13

The boot order is really simple:

1. HDD

2. NIC

I am using a full dock not a usb. I have a power button on the left on the dock.

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee
Views: 864
Message 10 of 13

we don't have any mechanical docks that are compatible with the T530 (being that this came out almost 7 years ago).

i did however test this on a T450 connected to a compatible mechanical dock and successfully changed the boot order from within Windows while encrypted. No recovery prompt was thrown after the reboot.

I tested this on Windows 10 1809 with the TPM set to 2.0, not 1.2.

The next question is, are you on Windows 7 or Windows 10? If 7, I'll have to redeploy and re-test.

edit:

extra info

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors