Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jgl75
Fanfold Paper
Views: 533
Message 1 of 6

Checking if a password is set on the BIOS on a Thinkpad X390 Yoga (20NN)

Hello everybody and thank you for taking the time to read my first post.

I'm deploying various models from Lenovo using SCCM latest version.

In my TS, I check if the BIOS has a password using this script :

$computer = $env:computername
$passwordState = (gwmi -Class Lenovo_BiosPasswordSettings -Namespace root\wmi -ComputerName $computer).PasswordState
if (-Not $passwordState -eq 2) {exit 0} else {exit 2}

On all Lenovo models so far, it's working as expected (returning code 2 if password is set) but on the X390, the script return 0 so my TS is crashing as it should if return code of the script is different from 2.

On the X390, I've seen that PasswordMode is set to 0 (in the Lenovo_BiosPasswordSettings WMI class) while it's setted on 1 on all pcs where the script works as expected.

The X390 that we have now is a demo unit that we received from Lenovo for our hardware validation before our first order.

Any idea of what is going on ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Jean

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 511
Message 2 of 6

Re: Checking if a password is set on the BIOS on a Thinkpad X390 Yoga (20NN)

There is no official BIOS posted yet on the support site.  The release is set (hopefully) by July 12.  You may have a non-standard pre-release version which might not operate normally.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Lenovo Employee dmcdermott
Lenovo Employee
Views: 482
Message 3 of 6

Hi Jean,

While we wait for an official to be released, I wanted to let you know that I can confirm your issue on a couple machines. If the BIOS update doesn't help, I'll be sure to pass the issue along to the appropriate teams.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

jgl75
Fanfold Paper
Views: 447
Message 4 of 6

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. Hopefully the new bios will help.
pilgi3
Token Ring
Views: 443
Message 5 of 6

Betreff: Checking if a password is set on the BIOS on a Thinkpad X390 Yoga (20NN)

In our environment we use a step in the OSD TS to display a message:

script.jpg

And we use a WMI query option:

option.jpg

You want to prevent an installation without a setted password?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 218
Message 6 of 6

Betreff: Checking if a password is set on the BIOS on a Thinkpad X390 Yoga (20NN)

We found that the PasswordState property of Lenovo_BiosPasswordSettings is not working properly on several 2019 model ThinkPads, such as X390 Yoga and X1 Carbon 7th.  We found the bug and will be releasing new BIOS versions to fix it.  But I don't know the release schedule yet.

As a work-around, there is another way to determine whether supervisor password is set or not, and we used this method for years before the Lenovo_BiosPasswordSettings class existed.

wmic computersystem get AdminPasswordStatus

This method is documented here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/cimwin32prov/win32-computersystem

AdminPasswordStatus will be “1” when Supervisor password exists, and “0” when it does not exist.  We confirmed that this is working even on the models where PasswordState has problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors