Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

01-23-2015

Germany

19 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 1 of 3

Copy Supervisor Password using srsetupwin

2015-01-23, 13:40 PM
Hello, for some reasons we are forced to use the Windows BIOS update (thanks for the EFI bootloader at Tx40 BIOS ISOs) and the Windows settings utility. Unfortunately either WMI nor srsetupwin are able to copy a supervisor password. In the past we used the DOS utility to copy the BIOS settings and the supervisor password to a blank machine without problems (srsetup settings_file /c /pap xxxxx -> srsetup settings_file /u /pap xxxxx). The same procedure with srsetupwin is not working. The capture works fine, but the settings-update results in "error in setting secure data: 00000004 / Password does not match / ERR(8) - Secure information could not be written" I know that it is not possible to set a supervisor password via WMI because of security reasons, but why is it possible to copy the password with the dos utility, but not with the windows utility if the supervisor password on the target machine is blank? The windows utility is working if the supervisor password is already set. We don't the luxury to set a supervisor password manually on thousands of machines we have to roll out.
Answer
Options

922 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1170 Signins

9776 Page Views

• Views: 9776

Re: Copy Supervisor Password using srsetupwin

2015-03-11, 17:29 PM

Please be aware that the srsetup utility for DOS works differently than the Windows utility.  This is because when the utility is able to execute under Windows, it can be scripted to run and therefore we have to be concerned about denial of service attacks where someone maliciously sets your supervisor and power-on passwords to something random and now you are locked out of the machine.  The DOS utility requires you to interact with the physical machine to boot to some other media for the DOS boot.

For the Windows utility, it is designed to work where the playback machine already has the same password set as the donor machine.  This will ensure those settings that require supervisor access are set.

Replies(2)
Options

1 Posts

03-10-2015

Earth

16 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 2 of 3

2015-03-10, 10:39 AM

I am struggling with this one also. I would like to understand the reason. I am trying to see if I can find the reason, the documentation is light. 

I am simply doing the following on the donor machine (which has a supervisor password)

• srsetupwin64.exe capture.dat /c /kpap

and this on the playback machine (that has no passwords enabled)

• srsetupwin64.exe capture.dat /u

which gives,

ERR - Passwords do not match

ERR(8) - Secure information could not be written

Answer
Options

922 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1170 Signins

9776 Page Views

• Views: 9776
  • Message 3 of 3

2015-03-11, 17:29 PM

Please be aware that the srsetup utility for DOS works differently than the Windows utility.  This is because when the utility is able to execute under Windows, it can be scripted to run and therefore we have to be concerned about denial of service attacks where someone maliciously sets your supervisor and power-on passwords to something random and now you are locked out of the machine.  The DOS utility requires you to interact with the physical machine to boot to some other media for the DOS boot.

For the Windows utility, it is designed to work where the playback machine already has the same password set as the donor machine.  This will ensure those settings that require supervisor access are set.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms