Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnVH
Paper Tape
Views: 623
Message 1 of 6

Default Command Line options on BIOS Update

Question / Comment / Suggestion.

Why does the BIOS update from Lenovo repository ask the user if they want to update the model number? 

2019-03-27_9-28-37.png

This is not something a user should be messing with and causes confusion when they see it. From an enterprise perspective this cost us money.  I understand you can change the command line in the UR downloaded repository.  But i don't think we should "need" to do this.   The UR repository should have a "user appropriate" command line option on the BIOS update. 

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 611
Message 2 of 6

Re: Default Command Line options on BIOS Update

BIOS updates, or any other update for that matter, that is downloaded to a UR repository is the same update that anyone can download from the support site.  By default, it's going to prompt the user if they want to update the BIOS or model number.   There isn't a separate update for UR repositories that alters the way it presents itself to users.  UR allows you, the enterprise admin, to change this behavior once it's deployed to users.  That's the purpose of the -s switch, to allow a silent install.

JohnVH
Paper Tape
Views: 586
Message 3 of 6

i understand what you're saying.  if i download it directly i'm free to run it with whatever commadn line options i like.  But if i use your tools (system update or an unmodified UR download repository called by TI or SU) lenovo explicity chooses the commadn line option to change the model Name.  Why would a user ever need to do that?  Why would you give a user the option to choose that and possibly break their PC?

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 568
Message 4 of 6

I got your point.  I've been here a long time and I also don't know why I would use the "update model number" option of WinUpTp.  Also, it's not documented in the readme or anywhere else that I could find.  I do know that the model number is referring to the MTM (Machine Type Model) so it's not like someone could change their X270 into a T470 or cause System Update and other tools to break.  But I got your point that this isn't something that should be exposed to a typical end user.  Let me have some internal discussion about this and come back here later.  Thanks.

JohnVH
Paper Tape
Views: 556
Message 5 of 6

Thanks!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 452
Message 6 of 6

The "update model number" option has been in the tool since IBM days (prior to 2005) and we don't know why it's still there today.  It's just one of those things that has been carried forward forever and apparently, nobody internal has questioned whether we still need it or not.  Now I'm asking about the possibility to remove it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors