cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,043
Message 1 of 38

Deploying Images to ThinkPad T460s | WDS on Server 2012 R2 | Intel 1219-V LAN Driver | Win10 Image

Hello, community

My name is Taveres Harris and I am new to the Lenovo support community. Please help me make my first experience successful.

I have been tasked with deploying new Win10 PCs by the EOY. My company purchased Lenovo ThinkPad T460s(s) and Lenovo ThinkCentre M900(s). I didn't have any trouble creating the image and uploading it to the WDS server, which is Server 2012 R2. However, I am having no luck deploying the image to the PCs.

Here's what is known:

*Each PCs MAC address has been added to the 'Allowed' filter on my DHCP server

*Each PC has the same ethernet LAN drivers (Intel 1219-V 64-bit Windows 10)

*WDS is configured correctly (I have no trouble deploying images to my Windows 7 machines)

*Boot.wim for my Windows 10 machines is correctly added to the WDS server

Here's the issue:

When I boot a PC, press F12 to initate a PXE boot, and choose the NIC adapter to boot, I have no trouble. From there, I get to my boot options listed in the WDS server and choose the Windows 10 boot image.

From there, WDS goes to the setup window, and eventually, I get a message stating the following:

WdsClient: An error occured while obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server. Please check to ensure that there is an operational DHCP server on this network segment.

I have researched the possible reasons for that error, and have narrowed it down to the LAN driver not being provisioned for Windows Server 2012 R2. For my Windows 7 machines, I can simply add a drivers package (according to the LAN driver on the machine) and inject it in the Win10boot.wim, but I cannot do this for the Intel 1219-V LAN drivers.

When I try to add the driver package, I recieve the error message stating the following:

Windows Deployment Services could not add some of the packages to the server. To view a list of the failed packages, click Next.

The .inf file I am trying to inject into the Windows10boot.wim is listed below:

e1d65x64.inf (which is listed as e1d65x64.sys in the device manager description on the Windows 10 machine) This is the same .inf file I need to use for the ThinkCentre M900.

I need to know how to force-inject that driver to the boot.wim, or if there another way I can circumvent the error and deploy the images to my PCs.

This is HIGH PRIORITY and I have exhausted all of my other resources to fix this issue. Please advise.

N3F
Token Ring
Views: 6,030
Message 2 of 38

Re: Deploying Images to ThinkPad T460s | WDS on Server 2012 R2 | Intel 1219-V LAN Driver | Win10 Ima

Okay, so two parts to this reply.

Quick googling brings me to these articles.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759162(v=ws.11).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd348456(v=ws.10).aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFiQixg4dbc

Alternatively it sounds like you need to invest time into setting up an MDT server. Also free from Microsoft. It can handle injecting (all) the drivers, and so much more. It is well worth the investment and since this and WDS are free from microsoft, there is a ton of resources available.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/deploy-windows-10-with-the-microsoft-deploy...

There are resources out there. You just need to google around. In IT, someone has almost always already done it, or done close to what you are looking for.

TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,967
Message 3 of 38

Re: Deploying Images to ThinkPad T460s | WDS on Server 2012 R2 | Intel 1219-V LAN Driver | Win10 Ima

Thanks for the response. I know how to add drivers to the server and inject them in the boot image. I'm just having trouble with a specific driver.

WDS is working fine for us, aside from this issue, so I do not want to create an MDT server.

Any other suggestions?

N3F
Token Ring
Views: 5,960
Message 4 of 38

When you create your source Windows 10 image, do you have it running (say in a VM) that you capture it from? If so, you might be able to inject the driver into the driver store.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2013/03/25/how-to-add-a-driver-to-the-driverstore/

I know you can also mount a wim file to browse content, but I don't know a way to inject the driver that way.

I personally made an MDT server, that handles the drivers. When I did that I had to get the PE drivers for the PE boot image that WDS loads. What happens if you try to inject the PE version of the driver for that model? I wonder if your boot image doesn't know how to use the Windows 10 specific one.

TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,955
Message 5 of 38

No, I didn't capture a VM image.

When I try to inject the driver into the boot image, I get an error that says the The request is not supported. See the attachment.

TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,953
Message 6 of 38

Also, when I am on the erro page that says an IP address cannot be assigned, I try to run the ipconfig /renew command in the command prompt (by pressing SHIFT+FN+F10) and I get a message that says The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,942
Message 7 of 38

You mentioned you are booting a Win10boot.wim when you PXE boot from WDS on the T460s and M900 machines.  What version of WinPE did you create this boot image from?

N3F
Token Ring
Views: 5,935
Message 8 of 38

Hmm, a bit out of my wheelhouse for WDS specifics, but I'll see if I can help troubleshoot. Under drivers, I am guessing you have a driver package folder. Does the file show up there? If you right click on it and select properties, is the status enabled?

TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,933
Message 9 of 38

I'm relatively new to WDS and PE. Can you tell me how to find the PE version?

What I do know is I installed the WDS feature and roles on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with nothing else running on it. I didn't install PE. If PE is built in with WDS, please tell me how to determine the version.

TaveresHarris
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,926
Message 10 of 38

Yes, I have a driver group and the packages installed and enabled. Please see the attachment.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors