cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 9

Hard drive assignment in the BIOS changes

I am tasked with imaging 1800 N23 for the school district using SCCM. I have created a stand alone USB to do this (because of UEFI) but the HD assignment in the BIOS changes between seeing the hard drive as drive 0 or drive 1. If it were consistent if would not be a challange, but it can change with each boot. This required me to build two USB key, one for drive 0 and one for drive 1, and stopping the task sequence to check where the hard drive is assigned. If not, the USB key get repartitioned and the TS fails.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone have a solution? Are these devices not approbiate for the enterprise (if they can't be easily imaged)? The only other devices i have seen this issue on were disposable devices which did not last even three years.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 9

Re: Hard drive assignment in the BIOS changes

Can you tell us what version of WinPE you are using on your boot media?

What other drives do you have in the N23?

ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 9

1. WinPE 10 (10.0.10240.16384). Drive assignment changes when reboot to same WinPE USB key.

2. None. SSD HD and USB only.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Message 4 of 9

I would suggest trying using the current Win10 ADK for build 1607.  With later builds of 10 we have been seeing that the drive number swapping around at every boot went away.  The problem is that previous capabilities to target drives relied on INT13 calls in Legacy BIOS.  Now with UEFI we don't have the INT13 capabilities.

ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 9

Booting to UEFI with Secure Boot on. I will try the 1607 WinPE as soon as can be arranged.

ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 9

Looks like using the 1607 WinPE is going to resolve the issue. Now I have to upgrade our existing SCCM 1511 installation to support 1607 for this one model. Good thing I am being paid by the hour.

ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 9

Nope, I marked the reply as the answer too soon. WinPE 1607 worked on my two testing computers, but as soon as i promoted it to production we ran into a machine with the USB set as drive 0 and the SSD as drive 1. The task sequence re-partitioned the USB to the I have had to go back and put a stop into the SCCM task sequence to allow the tech to check the hard drive assignment. Not an ideal solution since we have 1800 of these to do, but I guess you get what you pay for. The BIOS is current and I can think of nothing else to do. Any other suggestions?
ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 9

I uncheck my solution as it did not hold up in production. Issue still unresolved.
ROlmstead
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 9

I created two USB drives in SCCM Tasksequence - one that installs the OS on Drive 0 and the other installs on Drive 1. Both have a stop before initiating. At the stop I open a command prompt and check the drive assignment with Diskpart. Usually, I can switch to the appropiate USB (drive 0 or 1) and then initiate the imaging.

HOWEVER, now I have encountered devices that CHANGE THE HARD DRIVE ASSIGNMENT after I switch the USB key, partitioning and formating the USB before failing because it just wiped out the source image. It take ~20 minutes to recover and rebuild the USB key so this is getting very frustrating.

I did get some USB dongles and the same WinPE operates when PxE booting to the server, but they take 3 times as long to image. As I said, I have 1800 of these things to image and cannot afford to triple the imaging time.

Has any one else tried to image the N23 in this manner, or seen this issue? I looked at updating the BIOs but they are coming in with the latest version.

Nice little consumer machine, just not ready for the Enterprise, IME.

Top Kudoed Authors