Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CruzJr
Not applicable
Views: 1,805
Message 1 of 6

How do I deploy BIOS settings via Quest KACE or a Lenovo utility

We have over 3000 ThinkCentre desktops. I NEED to find a utility that will allow me to DEPLOY BIOS settings to enable Wake-On-LAN and turn off HIBERNATE.

We have Quest KACE; both K1000 and K2000.

NO SCCM.

Is there a utility to streamline deployment of BIOS settings to over 3000 M72, M73, M700 and M710q desktops ?

What does Lenovo's I.T. Dept. use ?

I'd like to avoid extensive scripting and ThinkConfig Tool dows not deploy across the network.

tlawson
Not applicable
Views: 1,746
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I deploy BIOS settings via Quest KACE or a Lenovo utility

Using KACE, why not push the ThinkBIOS Config Tool down to the local computer and execute it there.  You can attach a .ini file, generated from a source computer, to change just the settings you want.  I would suggest doing this locally instead of trying to do this across the network.

If you are set on doing this across the network, you can use the ThinkBIOS Config Tool by using the Targeting section of the GUI and clicking the Target Remote button.

Before these settings take effect, a reboot will have to occur at some point.

TLawson

CruzJr
Not applicable
Views: 1,732
Message 3 of 6

Understood.  HOWEVER, we have over 3000 desktops; some are off-site in satellite offices.  I would like to choose a model, deploy that BIOS ini to that specific model and restart so that HIBERNATE is disabled and Wake-On-LAN is configured and enabled.  We can focus on the on-site systems first.  AGAIN, NO SCCM; we have KACE 1000 and 2000.  This is time consuming planning out multiple scripts and processes.

tlawson
Not applicable
Views: 1,720
Message 4 of 6

If I am reading your goals correctly, then the hibernation piece you refer to is a function of the OS.  A quick Google search indicated that you can use the command 

powercfg -h off

to turn off hibernation in the OS.  In W8 and newer this will disable fast boot.

Really, if it were me, I would look and see if the BIOS Setting across the models are the same.  If that is the case, then you can use the same INI file for them.  One you know what pieces you need (ThinkBIOS Config Tool and any relevant INI's), set up the packages you need into a format that can be pushed via KACE and then deploy to your computers.

At this point, it is on the functionality of KACE to be able to do this.

TLawson

CruzJr
Not applicable
Views: 1,704
Message 5 of 6

The HIBERNATE OFF command we have ready.

We have 6 model types: M72, M73, 2 types of M700 and 710q.

ThinkConfig is unable to TARGET by model; just a single IP

So, am I to understand that, unlike Dell or HP, Lenovo does NOT have a utility to deploy BIOS changes throught the network ?

tlawson
Not applicable
Views: 1,679
Message 6 of 6

Another solution and best method to do this will be the following.  Looking across the models you listed they have a common Wake On LAN entry in the BIOS.  This means that the same command, executed from the ThinkBIOS Config Tool, will be able to set the setting.  The TBCT also can handle changing one setting from command line.  

Create a label that contains your Lenovo Desktop Models (M72, M73, M700, and M710 devices) and deploy this to the label.  

Take the ThinkBIOS Config Tool, import the HTA into KACE. Set the full command line to:

ThinkBiosConfig.hta "config=Wake On LAN,Automatc"

Note:  I referenced the KACE Sandbox environment to get some of the above information.

Note2: the Wake On LAN setting has 3 possible values: Automatic, Primary, and Disabled.  Automatic and Primary are Boot Sequences (Set in the BIOS) to follow.  I used Automatic as the example, but if you prefer to set the Primary boot sequence as the one to follow, use that one instead.

Im not familiar with all the Dell and HP technologies, so, at this moment, I cannot answer your question about do we have a similar tool.  Can you provide the name of the tool(s) you refer to and I can see if we do have something similar?

TLawson

Edit: Add note 2 above to clarify setting to apply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors