Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yasinbalci
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,860
Message 1 of 6

How to Upgrade BIOS remotely on Thinkcentre M

Hi,

how can i upgrade BIOS version of ThinkCentre M remotely.

Could you please inform me?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,832
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to Upgrade BIOS remotely on Thinkcentre M

As far as I know, the two ways are to run a program in Windows, or burn a CD, boot and run a program from it.   But check your Hardware Maintenance manual. 

yasinbalci
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,830
Message 3 of 6

I mean upgrading it from a server computer.

For example, i tried to upgrade via Lenovo PC Cloud Manager but i could not upgrade.

On the PC Cloud Manager windows it says "succesful"; the client computers restarts, but nothing happens.

naimc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,588
Message 4 of 6

We have M93p Tiny computers that we update remotely.  We use psexec.exe by systeinternals to run a modified version of the lenovo flash.bat batch files.

I have cmd batch that pull's all computer objects from AD

-uses WMI to check machine type bios version

-uses quser to see if a user is logged.

If all conditions match correct machine type and bios version and no logged on user the main loop copies the bios update files to the remote PC then psexec runs our customer flash.bat

Our Flash.bat does the followign :  ( script used a mixture of cmd batch and powershell) 

- exports  all the bios setting using wmi

- test's the bios password using wmi ( we exit is password is unknown)

- Back's up Bitlocker Key in AD

- Suspends Bitlocker for 1 boot

- Send Bios update warning message to console ( so user does not think PC is frozen)

- Run's the Lenovo Bios update  .exe  ( this takes about 4 minutes), system reboots

Main loop waits 4 minutes, and ping machine that was just updated. IF PC does not reboot we send an email to our SD,  As last time we did 1200 updates about 10 M93p where bricked in the process, would not reboot after the bios update tool ran, required changing the MB.

If your are interested I can post a sample.

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,568
Message 5 of 6

yasinbalci,

The best way to upgrade a bios is having the executables directly on the computer and not from a server share.  You can use scripting to copy items from a server and kick off the installation but in all of our testing here for a blog post, ThinkPad, ThinkStation, and ThinkCentre all needed the executable to be on the computer itself and run from that location.  The blog post that details an installation of a BIOS from a WinPE environment can be found here.

HTH,

Tlawson

yasinbalci
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,537
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for all your advices.

I have tried Lenovo PC Cloud Manager / BIOS Upgrade feature again and this time it worked.

But many thanks for other advices too

Top Kudoed Authors