Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 456
Message 1 of 14

Intel ME 11.8 Firmware update get stuck

Hi again!
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Intel-Management-Engine-11-8-Firmware-11...
Seems to “n23rg10w : Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware - 10 [64]” get stuck during update using Thin Installer (TI). First I saw there was a task FwUpdate.exe and after “killing” it (waiting long time before doing this) lets TI to proceed, but now (another attempt) I see TI stuck, but no such a exe showing in tasks. Anyway, when I ruled out this update TI finished ok. Package in question is not altered.
Ahjaa, device I’m trying on is ThinkPad T480s.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 399
Message 2 of 14

Re: Intel ME 11.8 Firmware update get stuck

How are you running ThinInstaller?  This particular firmware update package has a GUI and can't be executed silently or in an unattended way.  So if you are invoking ThinInstaller from SCCM where there is not any desktop environment, it may behave the way you described.  Try running ThinInstaller from a logged on user and see if that works, as a first step.

LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 351
Message 3 of 14

Hi and thank You! Sorry for delay.
Well, this explains. I don’t care running it using GUI. Well, this rises another question – if I have hundreds of devices I need to deploy it, how?! Bothering users? No-no, not during my watch. Yeah, I don’t have so many devices, but … why release this kind of updates for setup only using GUI!? Also, even there is no other way to accomplish this update (from Lenovo side!, but … BIOS updates they do) then must be some filter to not let even run this update unattended, don’t You think!?, please advise. Mh. In my case, it’s stuck and … that’s it.
More thanks, Alar.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 343
Message 4 of 14

Silent update is possible, but you can't use the package as-is.

The package calls FwUpdate.exe which launches the GUI to prompt user about plug in AC, close other applications, prepare for reboot, etc.  You can skip this by calling MeUpdate.cmd directly.  Note that MeUpdate.cmd has a "shutdown" at the end, so if you want to control the reboot yourself, remove this line containing "Shutdown.exe -r -t 10".  You must reboot for this firmware update to take effect.

LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 326
Message 5 of 14

Hi and thank You!
Could I accomplish this change using Update Retriever? I see I could clone particular update and add updated cmd and set launch task for it, but then it turns out as draft and … can’t find how I can publish this update. Also, must add supported systems, in draft it’s missing. Just curious. Not sure this is very productive way, but … one must try it out!
More thanks, Alar.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 302
Message 6 of 14

This is how I would do it:

1.  Download the ME firmware package using Update Retriever, and set it to active

2.  In the repository folder that contains the ME firmware package, edit the XML file.  Find the line that calls %PACKAGEPATH%\FwUpdate.exe /fw xx.x.xx.xxxx (it is in the "Install" section) and change it to call %PACKAGEPATH%\MeUpdateSilent.cmd instead.

3.  In the repository folder, run the package EXE and extract it to some temp folder as prompted.  Uncheck the option about "Install now..." at the end

4.  In the temp folder, copy MeUpdate.cmd to MeUpdateSilent.cmd in your repository folder

5.  Edit MeUpdateSilent.cmd in your repository folder to remove the call to shutdown.exe (near the end)

6.  Run ThinInstaller to test, and make sure you reboot after it finishes

Now, when you run ThinInstaller, it will call your MeUpdateSilent.cmd instead of FwUpdate.exe

Here is a n23rg10w package which I modified as described above: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhf1k4hv3yy7mmNOi6A

Note that n23rg10w_2_.xml has been modifed and that the package contains a MEUpdateSilent.CMD file.

LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 235
Message 7 of 14

Hi and thank You!
And sorry for delay.
Very kind of You! I’ll give a try, already changed update as You described it. But have another issue, will open new thread.
But … is there a way to publish updates from drafts (using Retriever)? I mean, my idea for cloning was to keep original update as “fresh” as it is and therefor I cloned it for making changes we talking here about.
More thanks, Alar.

LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 156
Message 8 of 14

So, no idea for question in last post?
Also, now tried Intel ME 11.8 FW update as You suggested, but … failed! Not deeper logs for now.
Alar.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 143
Message 9 of 14

Sorry, I did not understand the question from your previous post.  Also, when I tested the ME firmware solution I provided, it worked here.  If you tell me how to reproduce the failure I can take a look.

LenAlf
Punch Card
Views: 106
Message 10 of 14

Hi!
Sorry. What I meant is – when to clone update in Update Retriever draft update is created. Is there a way to publish it as real update to apply? Couldn’t find a way.
Concerning Intel ME, subject. I tried once again with changed cmd as You suggested, but … this time TI hang for 15 minutes and was killed. Secondly I tried Intel ME using original update xml and files, nothing changed – I got back results just as SCAN was launched instead of INSTALL, history.db did show “applicable” (2 more beside n23rg10w), nothing more. Odd, lost a bit.
Also, I do run TI using SYSTEM account, do You?
More thanks, Alar.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors