Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Views: 379
  • Message 1 of 19

Latest X1 Carbon BIOS Hangs After Driver Installation Reboot in SCCM OSD / Will Not Join The Domain

2017-03-27, 16:56 PM

Hi all,

We have 4th Gen Lenovo X1 Carbon laptops (20FB) that are exhibiting a few problems during Operating System Deployment in SCCM Current Branch 1610 with the latest update rollup.

1)  With the latest BIOS installed, the laptop hangs at the BIOS splash screen after the drivers have been installed and the system reboots during OSD.  The only workaround is to power the laptop off and back on.  The task sequence will continue normally.  Another X1 Carbon that does NOT have the latest BIOS installed does not exhibit this problem.

2)  The laptops are failing to join the domain per the task sequence we have configured.  All other models of laptops we deploy do not exhibit this problem (which includes Dells and Samsungs).  I've tried injecting the latest RTL 8153 Realtek drivers into the boot image, but it doesn't seem to help.  I've also used the latest SCCM drivers posted on Lenovo's website for this model.

Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated!

Answer
Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

Re: Latest X1 Carbon BIOS Hangs After Driver Installation Reboot in SCCM OSD / Will Not Join The Dom

2017-04-04, 22:09 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know we received the Lenovo pass-through Ethernet adapters.  The BIOS hang and domain-join issues have disappeared.  Additionally, PXE booting has the expected speeds and is no longer slow.

Thanks for all of your help!

Replies(18)
Options

940 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1087 Signins

6451 Page Views

• Views: 6451
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: Latest X1 Carbon BIOS Hangs After Driver Installation Reboot in SCCM OSD / Will Not Join The Dom

2017-03-28, 2:47 AM

For the 4th gen X1 Carbon, you should use the ThinkPad OneLink+ to RJ45 Adapter Part number:4X90K06975 for PXE booting...don't use the USB one.

The ThinkPad OneLink+ to RJ45 Adapter will use the built in ethernet adapter present in the 4th gen X1 Carbon, with it's unique MAC address. It's a pass through device.

I would also recommend making sure the BIOS of the system is current

Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 3 of 19

2017-03-28, 17:34 PM

Thanks for replying, but please re-read what I posted.  I mentioned one of the laptops already having the current BIOS.

We purchased the ThinkPad OneLink+ docks, which PXE boot successfully.  However, after a week of trying different things with Ethernet drivers, boot images, and our task sequence, I found that the docks are the reason I'm having problems joining the X1 Carbons to the domain.  Everything else in the task sequence works.  On the other hand, my ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, which we purchased as a previous recommendation for PXE booting these laptops, will allow the laptops I'm testing to join the domain and complete the task sequence as expected.

One of the laptops and docks has the current BIOS and firmware, while the other laptop and dock do not.  They both have the same problem.  I've tried adding the RTL 8153 drivers to both the driver package and boot image, but both still refuse to join the domain.

Additionally, the laptop with the current BIOS now hangs at the BIOS splash screen after drivers install and the task sequence reboots the computer.  I have to manually turn the laptop off and on to allow it to continue.  This did not happen until after the BIOS upgrade.  Thankfully, it doesn't prevent imaging from continuing.  It's simply an inconvenient annoyance at this point.

Since we are probably not going to rush out and buy another adapter that does what the dock is expected to do, I'll need to know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Options

940 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1087 Signins

6451 Page Views

• Views: 6451
  • Message 4 of 19

2017-03-28, 18:51 PM

ThinkPad OneLink+ dock, the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, and the Thinkpad OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter all behave slightly differently when it comes to PXE booting.

The OneLink+ DOCK and USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter use a Realtek USB ethernet subsystem

The OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter allows a passthru of the built in 1Gb intel ethernet adapter on that system...

For imaging purposes, use the OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter  on that system...it will be far easier, and the machines will image faster, assuming a 1Gb full duplex link.

For deployment to end users, the OneLink+ full dock is better to issue to end users.

Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2017-03-28, 22:24 PM

If they establish the same type of connection, why would they behave differently when it comes to PXE booting?  I can boot from PXE and image the computer from the task sequence.  It just won't join the domain when the dock is connected.  If the USB adapter and dock use the same Realtek driver, they should both function the same way.  It's as if the dock loses it's network connection when it comes time to joining the domain.  The dock is intended for our end users.  We shouldn't have to purchase another adapter just to get it domain-joined in the task sequence.

What do I do about the BIOS hang?  You still haven't answered that question.  Is there a setting that could cause the hang I described earlier?

Options

1853 Posts

03-03-2016

United States of America

3922 Signins

47061 Page Views

• Views: 47061
  • Message 6 of 19

2017-03-29, 2:40 AM

Lunatech_Fringe,

I will chime in here regarding your BIOS hang issue.  First, I apologize for the delay in a response on the BIOS hang.  I see that there was a new BIOS released on 23 MAR 2017.  I will grab one of our X1 Carbon 20FB/20FC models and upgrade it.  Once upgraded, I will test with OSD in the lab and see if I can emulate your issue.

As for the network connection issue with the OL+ Dock, could it be that the computer is booting and starting the TS quicker than the Dock > Ethernet > Connecting be registering.  Meaning would a 20 second delay (a guess) possibly allow enough time for the Dock, Ethernet, and connection to get going and then allow the TS to continue and add to the domain.  I will attempt this deployment in our lab, but we do encourage deployment engineers to utilize the OL+ to Ethernet dongle for a few reasons.  

One scenario is that you have 1 OL+ Dock on your deployment bench.  You plug in an X1 Carbon 4th to it and deploy with SCCM.  Then you unplug it, get a new dock from inventory and deploy THAT dock with the X1 you deployed on the original dock.  The original dock MAC is going to be associated to the X1 you just deployed.  Then you deploy another and another...  Can be troublesome.  By using the OL+ to Ethernet Dongle, you will use the onboard ethernet with the MAC associated to it.  This will allow you to keep all that straight.   Another scenario will depend on your naming convention.  If you use the MAC as part of the name, the OL+ dock MAC will be part of the name and you may name the computer the same as another.   The OL+ to Ethernet dongle again will use the X1 Carbon onboard Ethernet MAC instead.  Just a few instances that could cause problems.

Again I will utilize our lab to see if I can emulate your issues (BIOS hang on new version and OL+ Dock not connecting) and hopefully get back to you soon.

HTH,

Tlawson

Options

1853 Posts

03-03-2016

United States of America

3922 Signins

47061 Page Views

• Views: 47061
  • Message 7 of 19

2017-03-29, 15:07 PM

Lunatech_Fringe,

What OS are you deploying to the X1 Carbon 4th (20FB)?

Tlawson

Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2017-03-29, 17:20 PM

We're on our first build of Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, version 1607 (Updated Nov '16).  I figured knowing the task sequence would help, so here's the first part of it:

Install Operating System

-Format and Partition Disk:  Disk 0 / Standard(MBR) - 100% of remaining space on disk

-Apply Operating System:  Image index 2 of our Win 10 Enterprise 64 bit image using a custom unattend.xml with CopyProfile=True

-Apply Windows Settings:  The main thing we have here is enabling our local admin account with a specific password

Apply Driver Package (Lenovo)

-  We're using the Lenovo X1 Carbon package for SCCM from your site (Win 10 64-bit).  I've already removed and reimported it as a precaution during testing.

Join Domain

-Apply Network Settings:  This joins our domain in a specified OU (not the Computers OU).  The domain-joining account has been tested as working when used to join the domain manually.

Setup Operating System

- Setup Windows and ConfigMgr (client package installation)

Install Apps

-  Before all our apps are installed, we also install the Intel Bluetooth, Lenovo OneLink+ Dock, and Lenovo Hotkey packages.

Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2017-03-29, 17:23 PM

BTW, I installed the BIOS just released in the past week or so yesterday (v1.24, I believe).  The hang still occurs, and that's regardless of whether I'm using the USB dongle or the dock.

Options

25 Posts

03-23-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2017-03-29, 17:32 PM

I also forgot to respond to some other points made.  We are aware of the issue that arises when using the same dongle for mass imaging.  We have a workaround for that we've used in the past.  However, each Lenovo laptop we are currently imaging has its own dock, not the same dock over and over.  I do like what you are saying about the other adapter you mentioned and can see how that would be useful to us as a team without having to buy a ton of extra hardware.  That makes sense now.

Our naming convention is pretty simple due to the size of our company, so we don't use the MAC address as part of the name.

I truly appreciate all of your help!  I hope the information I provided can help figure out what's going on.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms