cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sullyc3po
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,259
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Update Retriever not displaying all available updates, Bios Updates missing

I can reproduce this on 3 other computers in our domain.

Example- Start process to get new updates for any system, let say for this example 20JM, select system, click next, UR goes out does it's thing search/download, updates screen appears (no errors) but is missing updates like Bios firmware updates (no hidden updates exist).

After troubleshooting the problem found that all updates are appearing in this folder C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\UpdateRetriever\temp but not appearing in UR console. I found these errors in the Event Log under Lenovo>ThinkVantage>UpdateRetriever

-The software encountered an issue and was able to handle it appropriately: Error validating XML descriptor: Severity: Error Message : The 'CRC' element has an invalid value according to its data type.

-The software encountered an issue unexpectedly and was unable to handle the specific issue: Error loading the XML Descriptor

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\UpdateRetriever\temp\n20ku10w_x64_2_.xml'.
File name: 'C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\UpdateRetriever\temp\n20ku10w_x64_2_.xml'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)
at Tvt.XmlPackageProcessor.XmlEngine.LoadPackage(String file)
at Tvt.XmlPackageProcessor.PackageProcessor.LoadFromFile()

This problem has been plaging me for over 6 months. I have called Lenovo Phone support with no help. Please help

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,221
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Update Retriever not displaying all available updates, Bios Updates missing

What version of UR are you running? You should be on version 5.00.0037.

What version of .Net framework is installed? You need 4.5.2 and above.

For the 20JM, which OS are use using in the selection for download?

I used 20JM, win 10, it does find the BIOS.

It is failing download for the Thunderbolt firmware update.

Make sure "show local packages " is checked.

Your other "failure stuff" appears to be old, junked version of downloads.  Rebuild your database anew to clear this up.

t470 ur.PNG 

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,183
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo Update Retriever not displaying all available updates, Bios Updates missing

I have been able to pull all updates for that model in Win10.  As sclexman states, what version of UR are you using as well as the version of .NET framework.

TLawson

sullyc3po
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,173
Message 4 of 6

I'm using Update Retriever 5.00.0035. .Net Versions 2.0 SP 2, 3.0 SP 2, 3.5 SP 1, 4.0 Client, 4.0 Full, 4.7.1

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,168
Message 5 of 6

Latest revision of UR is 5.0.0037.  You can download it here.  It would be best to use that, as we have seen a few errors when not on the latest version.

TLawson

sullyc3po
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,159
Message 6 of 6

Latest version Update Retriever 5.00.0037 (2.8 MB) fixed the issue. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors