Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

04-03-2017

Greece

49 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 51 of 56

Re: Lenovo Vantage for Enterprise

2018-03-28, 16:40 PM

someotherguy

Lenovo Vantage requires Internet Connection to some extent.

For example Hardware Settings and  Hardware Scan can work offline.

Lenovo Vantage Toolbar performs well without internet connection.

The problem is with our corporate Internet.

Lenovo Vantage works well in any situation. All of its problems seem to be fixed.

Options

7213 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29290 Signins

1678503 Page Views

• Views: 1678503
  • Message 52 of 56

2018-03-31, 19:19 PM
>>> Post and reply split to a new thread in the proper forum

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

10 Posts

04-28-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 53 of 56

2019-01-08, 22:08 PM

Well, let's give this a go...

I've got a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on a T430s. Actually, to be proper, I have a lot of clean installs of a lot of Windows 10 Pros on a lot of used/refurb T430s'.

I boot them up for the first time and Ctrl+Shift+F3 the OOBE to get into Audit Mode, then I run all the updates, install System Update, pull and install all the updates, install Chrome, then I went and downloaded the Vantage for Enterprise bundle (now on my USB drive for future reinstalls).

I first reviewed the syntax of setup_vantage.bat and felt its default settings were apt (I don't want to disable any features), so I double-clicked it and let it run -- since the Audit Mode account runs without UAC, its syntax executes perfectly and gracefully without any UAC-induced running-path issues, and everything has admin rights automagically.

It seems like it runs OK, it produces no error messages, but the Lenovo Vantage app is never installed. Like, the "Add-AppxProvisionedPackage" command runs for a long time, says nothing, then it goes on, installs the LSIF package, says nothing, then goes away. Presumably it actually did the proper thing? But the Lenovo Vantage app isn't in the Start menu of the Audit Mode admin account... maybe something weird about modern-mode apps (I hate hate hate^10 Modern apps)?

So I tried exiting audit mode through sysprep (return to OOBE, do not generalize, reboot). I run through OOBE and create a dummy account. Still no Vantage. Of course, I can install it from the store...! (search for "lenovo va" and it offers to install the app - "Free / Get") But that's the point of preinstalling, isn't it?? So it's available system-wide like a system preload?

What logs can I get you to help diagnose this?

Anything I'm doing wrong? Clearly I should be able to install Vantage system-wide, but this is the first time I've ever installed an appx using powershell etc... so I have not even the vaguest idea where to begin debugging this.

edit/update: OK, so installing Vantage from the store, works great. LSIF seems to have installed just fine, silently, as one might expect from a good old .exe installer ;) But the app, and the Modern nightmare... that's the problem. What do?

edit/update 2: OK, so on another computer, Vantage installed, same responses from the commands, and it was then visible in the Start menu from Audit Mode. Great! Go back to the first computer, reboot, re-run the setup_vantage.cmd... same results... "path:" blank, "online: true", "RestartNeeded: false". That's all they ever say. But again, not visible in the Start menu. Not installed. No idea why. And again, back on the 1st computer that DID have it visible after installing, I exited Audit Mode, ran through OOBE, and Vantage is gone. How does this EVER work properly?

Options

7108 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17876 Signins

167585 Page Views

• Views: 167585
  • Message 54 of 56

2019-01-09, 19:25 PM

wrote:

not visible in the Start menu. Not installed. No idea why. 

I think the info you are looking for is here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/preinstall-apps-using-dism

Key points from this article:

1.  Microsoft Store apps (like Vantage) don't run in audit mode

2.  In previous versions of Windows 10, preinstalled Universal apps and Microsoft Store apps had to be pinned to the Start menu. Windows would remove apps that were preinstalled but not pinned to the Start menu.

3.  Starting with Windows 10, version 1803, apps can be preinstalled without being pinned to the Start Menu when you use DISM /add-provisionedappxpackage with the /region option.

Based on the above information, and assuming you are deploying Win10 1803 (or later), you should be able to modify the sample lenovo-vantage-install.ps1 as follows (add the part in red to the last line):

Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackagePath $bundlePath -LicensePath $licensePath -DependencyPackagePath $frameworkPath,$runtimePath,$vcLibsPath,$storeEngagementPath -Region all

Options

10 Posts

04-28-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 55 of 56

2019-01-10, 3:05 AM
That's awesome, that did the trick! It preinstalled, survived OOBE, and on my test account, it was visible and it functioned properly on first try.

Curious, though. In that .ps1 script, there's a line that constructs a $command line, then a line below that just "says" $command - as if to run it as a command? Or is it just printing it on the screen like an "echo"? Either way, I edited both lines to include "-region all" and it worked great.
Options

7108 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17876 Signins

167585 Page Views

• Views: 167585
  • Message 56 of 56

2019-01-10, 12:47 PM

wrote:

Curious, though. In that .ps1 script, there's a line that constructs a $command line, then a line below that just "says" $command - as if to run it as a command? Or is it just printing it on the screen like an "echo"? Either way, I edited both lines to include "-region all" and it worked great.

It's just an "echo".  The last line is the actual command.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms