Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dverbern
Paper Tape
Views: 1,192
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo YOGA X1 - Very slow PXE booting

We use a variety of model of laptop and workstation and build them using Microsoft ConfigMgr (SCCM), using PXE boot to get into Windows PE, where SCCM then applies the image and software.

We are finding the Lenovo units take a long time (between 7 and 15 minutes) to proceed from when we start the PXE boot and when the unit loads into Windows PE.  It sits there saying "Loading files..." and thats where it sits for that time.

Lower spec'd models, such as DELL 7xxx series, proceed much quicker.  We are using Secure Boot, with UEFI when we PXE boot.  We use same settings on DELLs when we PXE boot.

If anyone is also experiencing this issue, we would love to know a fix, as it is adding build time to what is otherwise a fantastic unit.

Lunatech_Fringe
Serial Port
Views: 1,047
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo YOGA X1 - Very slow PXE booting

Did you ever find anything out regarding this problem?  We're having the same issue with the Lenovo X1 Carbon (20FB).  I've been able to reproduce it with a Lenovo dongle built for this model, as well as the OneLink+.  It works...but considerably slower than our older Dells.  It's intermittent, too...sometimes, the speed is normal.  It drags during PXE-booting and downloading WIMs during OSD.  I've already tried adding Lenovo's latest PE drivers and Realtek's RTL8153 drivers for Windows 10 to our 64-bit WinPE 10 boot image.  Nothing has changed.  Currently, I'm in the process of testing the latest BIOS update.  After that, I'll probably try updating the firmware on the OneLink+.  I definitely have the same issue.

For what it's worth, we're running SCCM CB 1610 with the latest update rollups.

dverbern
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 3 of 19

Hello.
No, we haven't got a fix to this issue, we're still having the issue. Yes, for us its the downloading of the WIM as you get into WinPE that's slow.
We're typically using the OneLinke+ dock instead of the dongle.
We're also on SCCM Current Branch 1610.
Lunatech_Fringe
Serial Port
Views: 1,038
Message 4 of 19

I'm curious if anyone at Lenovo is aware of this issue.  I've seen a lot of posts regarding PXE not working at all, but not the slowness issue we are experiencing.  Thanks for the quick reply!

dverbern
Paper Tape
Views: 1,025
Message 5 of 19

No worries, its nice to know we are not alone! We build tons of laptops via this same method (DELLs as well as Lenovos) and its just the Lenovo, the Yoga, giving this particularly slow PXE loading phase.

I've logged a ticket previously with Lenovo support, but it didn't seem to proceed in any useful direction.

Personal opinion is I think that whatever the hardware and drivers are presenting at the transport layer is being negotiated at some relatively slow transfer speed, rather than its actual transfer speed, which isn't available until within WinPE or Windows, but thats just a guess.
Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 996
Message 6 of 19

Lunatech_Fringe and dverbern,

In the past week or so, both my coworker and I have deployed our X1 Yogas many times.  We have not seen an issue with slow PXE boots.  Have you tried updating your BIOS on these devices.  You can find it here.  Make sure you read the readme and understand all the ramifications of going to the latest version, 1.23. (Cannot rollback due to security implementations).

The other devices that you all have mentioned having PXE issues are our T470 and X270 from what I have seen in forums and other reports.  These issues have arisen since our new product launch and I do not think these things are related.

One you test out the BIOS update, please let us know what is going on.

HTH,

Tlawson

Lunatech_Fringe
Serial Port
Views: 978
Message 7 of 19

Hi Tlawson,

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version yesterday on the X1 Carbon I'm using for testing.  It did not correct the problem.  As mentioned (at least for me), it's intermittent.  Sometimes, the speed is normal.  I was also going to try upgrading the firmware on the OneLink+ the X1 Carbon is connected to, but it produced an error.  From what I read online, an external monitor needs to be connected to it in order to upgrade the firmware, but I haven't tried it, yet.  Currently, the laptop and a CAT 6 cable are the only things attached to the dock.

What build of SCCM are you running?

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 960
Message 8 of 19

Lunatech_Fringe,

We are running CB (1610).  In speaking with my colleagues, the OneLink+ Dock seems to be slow.  We use the OneLink+ NIC dongle and dont have any issues with those.  There seems to be some chatter around about the slowness with the OneLink+ Dock, as in we can reproduce it.

HTH,

TLawson

Lunatech_Fringe
Serial Port
Views: 951
Message 9 of 19

That's great to know.  I had it do the same thing with the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter a few days ago.  I just tried the adapter again and had three successful PXE boots with normal speed.  I just upgraded the firmware for the OneLink+ successfully to the latest version, but the problem is still there (and intermittent).  I had two successful PXE boots with it followed by one long, slow boot.

Lunatech_Fringe
Serial Port
Views: 906
Message 10 of 19

I have another post here detailing other issues I'm having with imaging these laptops with a OneLink+ dock.   However, I'm finding that if I disconnect the dock and the dock's power cable for about 10 seconds, I can get the PXE boot speed to occur normally 99% of the time once reconnected.  It's an easy workaround...just annoying we have to do it.

Top Kudoed Authors