cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krassegrand
Fanfold Paper
Views: 338
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Z50-75. New W8 install not working properly. Not updating.

Maybe I should start a new thread instead of

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Lenovo-Z50-75-with-Ubuntu-14-04/m-p/2221694/highlight/...

I have been getting problems since I tried to reinstall W8 on my Lenovo laptop (Z50-75) witch alredy have Ubuntu.

I downloaded a .img and burnt it on a CD (or DVD) but the laptop is not workking properly.

It cant find my second screen (it works ok with Ubuntu) and the WIFI does not work (also works with Ubuntu).

It does not seem to update eather.

I have tryed a lot of advices I have gotten from different sites but nothing helps.

I am suspecting that the .img I downloaded is not working well with my laptop.

Can I find an image that fits to Lenovo better that the one I have?

Jörgen

60 and still childish.
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 293
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Z50-75. New W8 install not working properly. Not updating.

When you first got the Z50, there WAS an option in Control Panel to create recovery media...if this was not done, you effectively destroyed the factory image provided when you overwrote the OS with Linux.

Otherwise, you would have to order factory recovery media. There may be a charge for this, and Lenovo would be limited to sending the licensed OS the machine originally shipped with....

Order Physical Disc/USB

1. EMEA Region (Online Portal) - How to obtain a product recovery disc

2. Other Regions - Contact Support Center 

3. Windows 7 Pro Machines with Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 10 Pro license (on limited machines only ) -  Downgrade Systems for getting Window8.1 Pro and Windows10 Pro. .

The other alternative is to buy a retail version of Windows 10 Home or Pro. I would suggest you wipe the drive with the Microsoft DISKPART command using the CLEAN sub command to destroy all information on the drive first.

You can test Windows 10 on the system by creating Windows 10 media using the Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool (google or bing search this, make sure it comes from a microsoft domain). You can make an install USB key for Windows 10, and run it for a while in an unactivated state to make sure your older model works well with Windows 10...and then buy an official retail activation license key from Microsoft.

Krassegrand
Fanfold Paper
Views: 277
Message 3 of 5

I will ask at the store I bought it at to see if they want to help me.

Jörgen

60 and still childish.
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 268
Message 4 of 5

They probably can't...you are effectively asking for either a service part (recovery media is considered a service/repair "part"), or the licence for a new upgraded OS, which Microsoft charges for.

If you happened to take advantage of the free upgrade offer from Microsoft for Windows 10 that expired around June 2016, then you do have an option, as your system was "fingerprinted" by Microsoft with a Windows 10 license. You can just reinstall Windows 10, and it should self activate after "talking" to Microsoft activation servers.

I would still do a test with Windows 10...install it without activation, to make sure the system will even WORK with Windows 10...that wifi/other drivers are there for it, even in an unactivated state. The Z50 was not tested with Windows 10 by Lenovo, but that doesn't mean it won't work with W10, just that there is no official support, nor drivers (other than what is built into the OS). If you are not joining a domain, then you can test out Windows 10 Home. Note that any code to play back DVD's (if so equipped) is gone in this operation.

Krassegrand
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 5 of 5

Well.
I was beginning to doubt Ubuntu but this experience do convince me that I did make the right decision when I went for Linux.
I think I will give up Windows.

Jörgen
60 and still childish.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors