Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cblunschi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,545
Message 1 of 15

M800/M900 BIOS Update in SCCM 2012

Hi

A customer of ours is attempting to update the BIOS as a step in a SCCM 2012 task sequence.

They are using the /sccm switch to suppress the automatic reboot after the BIOS update utility is executed as the SCCM task sequence will not continue after an unscheduled reboot.

The BIOS Update utility used in conjonction with the /sccm switch requires a shutdown (not a restart) to complete the BIOS reflash and SCCM 2012 does not support shutdown in the middle of a task sequence.

Does anyone know how a BIOS update can be achieved within a task sequence?

Thanks

Christian

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 18,362
Message 2 of 15

Re: M800/M900 BIOS Update in SCCM 2012

cblunschi,

One option would be to put the BIOS update as the last task in the task sequence and at the end of the task sequence, as a final option, have the device shutdown.

Also, in our blogpost here, we talk about how to update the BIOS from WinPE, but not a task sequence.  Feel free to see if you can adapt this to what you need.  We did note that when we used the WPEUTIL Shutdown command in WinPE, that the ThinkCentre would actually reboot and install the BIOS.

HTH,

Tlawson

Lenovo Employee rechols
Lenovo Employee
Views: 18,349
Message 3 of 15

Also one other option is to use the DOS shutdown /r which will shutdown the system (I believe to s5 state) and then restart the machine. This could be added as a "Run Command Line" task sequence step. There is more info for controling the shutdown command at http://ss64.com/nt/shutdown.html

I would not be able to test the above method myself until some time next week, but it is another option for solving your problem.

cblunschi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,237
Message 4 of 15

Hi,

I would appreciate it if you could test this and get back to me.

Thanks

C

MTSt
Punch Card
Views: 17,630
Message 5 of 15

Hi,

could testing be done in the meantime?
It would be very interesting for other customers too, because we are facing the same issue.
Task sequence breaks when using shutdown /s or bios update process is not completed after normal reboot.

Thanks

M

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 17,606
Message 6 of 15

MTSt,

I am unsure what testing you are referring to.  We have provided a post on our blog on how to do this in WinPE.  The correct way to execute this in Windows is defined in the readme.txt of the BIOS.  The only real "gotcha" that we have is that for now, the M800/M900 BIOS does not support exclusive x64 installations.  Meaning to install the BIOS in WinPE, one would have to be in the x86 version.  We have contacted the ThinkCentre BIOS team to try to obtain this funtionality, but it has yet to show up.

HTH,

Tlawson

MTSt
Punch Card
Views: 17,557
Message 7 of 15

TLason,

thanks for  the update. But desired solution is to update bios of ThinkPads, ThinkCenters and ThinkStations during initial SCCM deployment. 
My referring for testing was based on the post from rechols dated 11-30-20116. For my understanding he assumes that he will test a bios update in a SCCM task sequence with shutdown /s.

As far as we know ThinkCenter Bios flash require a shutdown /s /t 0. And that will lead to power down the system and break the task sequence. Therefore a test in SCCM would be very helpful. Especially when information of the working process can be shared here.

Thanks in advance,

MTSt

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 17,505
Message 8 of 15

hi,

i was successfully able to update BIOS on an m800 and m900 with a custom task sequence.  if these systems have already been deployed out in the field, the task sequence will need to execute in full OS.  if you're updating the BIOS prior to OSD (new shipment coming in), you'll need to boot to a 32-bit boot image to update due to lack of 64-bit support for the flash utility. 64-bit support is in the works but no ETA right now. 

you will need to download the latest BIOS from the support site, extract the contents, and create a package in your SCCM console pointing to the BIOS source files.  do not create a program for the package.

task sequence steps:

Disable BitLocker - if the system is encrypted, you'll need to disable bitlocker first. this step only executes in full OS mode.

Flash BIOS-FWKT - this is a run command line step, with the command line being flash.cmd /quiet /sccm /ign

tick the box to specify a package, which will be the BIOS package created as described earlier.

Enable BitLocker - add a step to re-enable bitlocker (if necessary).  

Shutdown system - add a run command line step to shutdown the system: cmd.exe /c shutdown /s /t 0 /f

this won't actually shut the system down to the point of physically pushing the power button back on to boot up.  this just instructs the BIOS update to proceed to phase 2 of the flash process. the system will reboot and finish out the update.

you can also leverage the SMSTSPostAction variable with the same shutdown parameters. 

let me know if this works for you.

MTSt
Punch Card
Views: 17,298
Message 9 of 15

Hi pjorgensen,

I have received positve feedback from our SCCM team.

It works like a charm now, thanks for your assitance and detailed explanation.

This can be marked as solved out of my perspective.

Regards MTSt

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 17,275
Message 10 of 15

glad it worked for you and thanks for the update

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors