Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Watto
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,062
Message 1 of 7

M800 & P310 Asset Tag in BIOS

As part of our Build Process we add the Asset Tag details to the Bios.  Presently our WIN98 Boot disk with lenovo Utility works on all Laptops and Desktops.  This is not the case with the M800s and P310s we currently have.  The USB errors out whether booting to UEFI or Legacy.  So far have been unable to create a UEFI Boot Disk to update the Asset Tag without first booting to  Windows.  Our current workaround is to boot into Windows, point to the DOS BIOS update we downloaded for the relevant PCs and insert the asset tag, very time consuming.  Can anyone assist?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,014
Message 2 of 7

Re: M800 & P310 Asset Tag in BIOS

Watto,

In researching your issue, I found that if you download the latest BIOS (Windows Utility) and extract it to a computer, you will have a folder of files, one of which being wflash2.exe.  Reading the ReadMe.txt that is extracted with these files appears to accomplish what you are looking for with the /tag:nnnnnnnn option.  (wflash2.exe /tag:nnnnnnnn)

Also, not sure how you are doing this but instead of using a DOS boot/WIN98 boot key, this can be done from within Windows, so you may be able to alter your deployment tool to set this dynamically.

HTH,

TLawson

Watto
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,989
Message 3 of 7

Thanks T

Thats exactly what we're presently doing.  We want to avoid booting into Windows if we can.  To put it simply, we can boot the PC with a UEFI enabled USB Flash drive, we've been unable to set any parameters/arguments within the BIOS download that will work when we boot.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,984
Message 4 of 7

Watto,

Is the USB key a DOS UEFI key?  If so, ensure you have downloaded the DOS version of the BIOS tool found here.  The file will download as a .zip with the appropriate files needed.  If you get the Window Utility to update the BIOS, they will not work on the key and could present issues as you have indicated in your OP.

Another potential issue is that if the BIOS is older than the tool being used, you could encounter problems with the tool not working correctly.  The version of the BIOS has to be the same version the tool came out of.  For instance, if your BIOS is FWKT45A, and the tool being used is FWKT49A, you will have to update the entire BIOS to FWKT49A prior to utilizing the tool to update the asset tag info.  I believe it has to reference the ROM version provided in the .zip to proceed with the changes, even if you aren't trying to update the BIOS at the same time.

As for our involvment, in the morning, I will pull our M800 and P310 in the lab and test this out to see if I can reproduce the issue you are seeing. 

HTH,

TLawson 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,963
Message 5 of 7

Watto,

I have my P310 here and using a DOS boot disk, I was able to change the asset tag using the flash2.exe from the Flash UEFI BIOS update - DOS utility zip on the BIOS page in the previous post.

That said, I tested the wflash2.exe utility from the Windows BIOS update utility (.exe) and have found that it will not work in DOS as the error displayed shows "This is a Windows NT character-mode executable and then dumps back out to the C:\ prompt in DOS.  I cant say this is exactly what you are seeing, but it sounds close enough if you have it set to run in the AUTOEXEC.BAT

I do have to resolve one mistake from my previous post, if you just want to change the asset tag, you can use the flash2.exe from this .zip file.  It does not matter the rom level or date.  It will work in reverse.

HTH,

TLawson

Highlighted
Corrins
Paper Tape
Views: 3,206
Message 6 of 7

How to update asset tag for M800 desktop?

Hi all,

Recently we changed the motherboard for M800 desktop but found out that the new asset tag was not captured. 

Any idea how can we update the new asset tag for above matter?M800 Bios.jpgAsset Tag <Field Blank>

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,168
Message 7 of 7

Re: How to update asset tag for M800 desktop?

Here is the link to the M800 BIOS page.  Download the Flash UEFI BIOS update (Flash from operating system version) package, extract it and run the WFlash2.exe or WFlash2x64.exe with the /tag:XXXXXX switch where XXXXXX is the asset tag to associate with the hardware.

TLawson

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors