Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-16-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 6

N23 Winbooks - External backing provider not recognized

2017-07-16, 15:30 PM

We are a school with a computer lab based on Lenovo N23 Winbooks running Windows 10.  We use imaging software to copy the N23 disk to a USB drive, so that we can restore the Winbook in the event of problems.  We do this for all compuiters in the school, but with the N23, it leads to a strange issue:

After the image is restored to the Winbook from the USB drive, the device boots but the event log begins to show many service failures for the reason "external backing provider not recognized".  Also we cannot install any of the Microsoft cumulative updates, although other types of Windows updates do install.  The error message is again "external backing provider not recognized"

If we try to do an upgrade or repair or clean install of Windows, it fails with error code 8007042b - 4001E.   We trace this in the windeploy logs to error 1501 - data control interface not recognized.

I looked up the "external backing provider not recognized" error, and all I could find was that it's a manufacturer issue.  Lenovo does not offer direct support for this model, so am hoping someone here can help.

I feel like there is a step we are missing, that something must have been done (perhaps a provisioning step) by Lenovo to enable an image to run correctly on a given device.   We don't have recovery media for these, other than what ships on them.  That does not appear to work after the drive has been re-imaged, even when the new image is just a copy of the old.

I've been doing the imaging thing for years and have never encountered this.  Maybe it's not possible on these N23's?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Options

4 Posts

02-21-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: N23 Winbooks - External backing provider not recognized

2018-02-21, 18:09 PM

I have a similar problem. My Lenovo N23, Win 10 is brand new but there is no memory to reset to factory settings or to install the requested update. Nothing works. I need to remove all my data from the hard drive but there are no such options. Help me please. Thank you.

Options

4 Posts

02-21-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2018-02-21, 18:10 PM
I have a similar problem. My Lenovo N23, Win 10 is brand new but there is no memory to reset to factory settings or to install the requested update. Nothing works. I need to remove all my data from the hard drive but there are no such options. Help me please. Thank you.
Options

4 Posts

07-16-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2018-02-21, 18:32 PM

The solution I found for this was to download the Lenovo factory provisioning image for the N23, as well as the software which ceates a recovery installer image on a USB flash drive.  Then if you boot the N23 into that flash drive, Win10 will do a clean install and it will work properly afterwards.  The install takes several hours, it's a long process to provision the N23, but it does work.  You cannot do a clean install of Win 10 yourself.  It may appear to work but many small issues will occur if the N23 is not provisioned correctly.

Options

4 Posts

02-21-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2018-02-21, 18:59 PM

Can you please tell me step by step what to do? Also, can

I use "used" USB drive or I need to get a brand new one?

I not computer wizard. I almost want to return this laptop

but I am afraid that there is still my data on it. Thank you.

Options

4 Posts

07-16-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2018-02-21, 19:31 PM
If all you want to do is clean the laptop of your account and data, and it's working ok otherwise, there is a short automatic way, and a longer manual way.

The short way is to go under Settings, Update and Security, Recovery and look for the option to Reset This PC. It will give you the option to keep your data or not, you would choose not if you want to wipe it.

The long way is to create a new user account under Windows 10 (name it New User), leave the password blank, and make it an Administrator account (a member of the Administrators group). You can do this either under Settings-Accounts or under Control Panels- Administrative Tools- Computer Management -Local Users and Groups.

Then log-in under the new account, go back into Accounts as above, and this time, delete your existing account (the one with your data). Windows will ask you if you want to save the data. If you say yes, it will make a new folder on the desktop with all your stuff. If you say no, the data will be deleted.

Please note both methods above are irreversible, you cannot change your mind and go back, so be sure first. An extra step would be to go under Settings- Apps or Control Panels- Programs and Features , and make sure any apps you may have installed are gone. If not, uninstall them.

The final step is to wipe the free space on the drive, where your files used to be. To do that, open the Run window by pressing Windows key and R simultaneously. In the Run window, type this:

cipher /w:C

where "C" is the letter of the Windows drive (almost always C). Let it finish, might take awhile.

After this your machine could be safely given to someone else or returned.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms