Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
escadan396
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,801
Message 1 of 11

NVMe Drivers and M715q Tiny- AMD

Having one heck of a time getting our corporate image on an M715q Tiny.  A few months ago, we received a demo unit which (with great help from this forum), I was able to get up and running.  Unfortunately, what was purchased was not the same as the demo.  Specifically, the purchased units come with an M.2 drive.  The specific model number is 10M2S02M00. 

Things I have tried:

*Creating a bootable USB drive with a base Windows 7 64bit image on it.  Injected the USB3 drivers into the WIM files and was able to get the USB stick to boot into WinPE.  However, I was not able to detect a hard drive to install to.

*Tried a Lenovo provided hotfix which injects a Windows Update supporting NVMe booting into WIM files on install media.  This caused the install media to stop working and will no longer boot into the WinPE environment (did boot to WinPE)

*Attempted to install a BIOS update for the specific model mentioned above which should enable booting to NVMe storage without being set in UEFI boot mode.  This BIOS update failed to complete.  When running from Windows, the updated begins and will reboot to start the install but the system never recovers.  Screen goes dark and that is it.  When performing the update from USB stick, again the update begins but reboots and never recovers.

*I have also tried taking a frech Tiny out of the box (which comes pre-loaded with Windows 7 64 bit and is known to be working….just without our corporate image) and pulling drivers directly from it, then injecting those into the USB install media.  Still no luck there.

*Finally- I followed the steps from this article- https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103541 without any progress.  (I was delivered a similar but different article from a Lenovo engineer which I am working through now)

My largest concern is that I can't get the BIOS updated.  I keep reading that I need to update the BIOS before this whole process will work.  I don't know that to be true considering the OS was put on the harddrive in the first place, but yeah...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,784
Message 2 of 11

Re: NVMe Drivers and M715q Tiny- AMD

escadan396,

To be able to deploy W7 to an NVMe drive, you will need to patch your .WIM files with the MSU from MS.  It is hotfix 2990941.  We have written a blog post on this and it can be found here.

By default, the BIOS on Skylake and Kabylake hardware, including this AMD box as it is part of our latest hardware release, will support NVMe drives in UEFI BIOS.  Legacy BIOS on SKylake hardware will require an update.  KabyLake hardware and should be ready for the legacy.  In reading the readme for the BIOS on the M715q, I do believe that yours should already be good to go with applying W7 to NVMe under legacy.

HTH,

Tlawson

escadan396
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,768
Message 3 of 11

I have injected the AMD USB 3 drivers, as well as the msu file from the hotfix into my boot.wim and install.wim files.  I have USB support in WinPE, but still cannot detect a drive to install to.  All driver/update injections suceed without errors.  I've tried booting into WinPE and changinge the USB drive to a different port and Rescanning as well.

The machine has a copy of Windows 10 on it currently, and that works.  This is when Boot Mode is set to Auto.  When I set the Boot Mode to Legacy only, I can boot to the thumbdrive (but not detecting a hard drive to install to) and from hard drive itself.  When I switch to UEFI only mode (with CSM enabled), I cannot boot from any device.  Hitting F12 during boot so I can choose my boot device results in zero available boot devices.   I'm concerned I have a BIOS setting that I'm missing.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,764
Message 4 of 11

escadan396,

In BIOS, while you are set to UEFI Only / CSM Enabled, go to Devices and choose Network.  Make sure that IPv4 and IPv6 are set to enabled.

HTH,

Tlawson

escadan396
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,751
Message 5 of 11

I enabled the IPV4 and 6 network stacks.  When I attempt to boot, no devices are available in the boot device manager.  The drive with Windows 10 on it does not appear, and neither does the Win7 install disk or bootable BIOS flash disk I created.  The only selection I have availabe is to enter setup. This is in UEFI only mode with CSM enabled.

Lenovo Employee rechols
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,690
Message 6 of 11

I will be picking up a M715q Tiny today and I will see if I duplicate your issue. Will post results as soon as I can. If you get to a solution prior to my post, please update.

Thanks
Lenovo Employee rechols
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,644
Message 7 of 11

A few questions and points of clarity:

• Are you using SCCM or MDT?
    • Ver 1606 of SCCM or MDT 2013 U2 should both require an ADK that has support for NVME
  • If not 1 of the above then What version of WinPE – If you can use WinPE 10 then the NVME support is built in
  • Does the USB drive contain the entire deployment or is it just connecting back to the server?
irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,448
Message 8 of 11

*Attempted to install a BIOS update for the specific model mentioned above which should enable booting to NVMe storage without being set in UEFI boot mode.  This BIOS update failed to complete.  When running from Windows, the updated begins and will reboot to start the install but the system never recovers.  Screen goes dark and that is it.  When performing the update from USB stick, again the update begins but reboots and never recovers.

Hi escaden396,

I am having this exact same issue.  I can't upgrade the BIOS.  I've worked with support and they thought it was a system board issue.  This was a brand new machine, so I had them send me a new one.  Same thing with the new one.  Two m715q tiny PCs and both doing the same thing.  It just hangs at the black screen when trying to reboot after installing the BIOS update.  If you look at the system log in the BIOS it says update installed, but it doesn't have the new version.  I thought maybe it was the version trying to be installed, but now they just released M11KT33A and it doesn't work either.  Its good to see I am not the only one.  Did you resolve this issue at all?

Thanks,

Isaac

irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,419
Message 9 of 11

I found the solution to this issue:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504463

Looks like support has acknowledge it as a problem and has provided a file for a fix.  I followed their instructions and it worked.  It looks like this was released 7/9/17.  What is unfortunate is that I've spoken to support since this was relased and they were working on replacing the system board instead.  I wish they would all know about these fixes.  I only found this one after doing a very specific google search.  Hopefully this helps the OP and others.

m715qUser
Paper Tape
Views: 3,301
Message 10 of 11

I just purchase an M715q and it will not wake frm sleep and cannot update BIOS. Can someone explain this fix further? I am using Windows 10, 64bit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors