Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonPichie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 509
Message 1 of 22

P320 Cannot Capture with MDT

Hello,

I am having issues Capturing a WIM image using WDS and MDT.

At first, I thought the issue was with the PCIe NVMe SSDs drives, and me not having the proper drivers to capture.

I confirmed I am on the latest winPE (win 10 1803), and that the drive is recognized within the WinPE environment with Diskpart.

I tried a capture with a SATA SSD and a SATA HDD and all 3 drives gave me the same error below.

CaptureFail.jpgCan anyone think of anything else it could be?
I have even loaded all the LAN drivers for this Model into my WinPE WIM and it did not help.

Oddly enough, I could deploy an image to the hard drive no problem, but something odd is happening with the Capture.

This capture task has worked on our Lenovo P510 and Dell XPS machine without issue, with Windows 7.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 498
Message 2 of 22

Re: P320 Cannot Capture with MDT

@jasonPichie,

What does the BDD.log state around this error?  Also, what does the SMSTS.log state?

Just curious, but why are you capturing an image from a physical computer?  Best practice is to get a reference image from a VM, then deploy that out and layer on drivers and software as needed.

TLawson

jasonPichie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 492
Message 3 of 22

so make the image in VM, with all my apps installed and what not, and then inject drivers during deployment?
Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 484
Message 4 of 22

@jasonPichie,

By using physical hardware, you will pull in drivers and other hardware specific configurations.  Using a VM, you will remove all the "physical hardware stuff" and should have a fairly clean OS.  The VM will make your capture hardware agnostic so that you can use the same reference image across all computers.  If you have to maintain model specific images for the P510, P320, P700, ThinkPad T570... and so on, you will spend a ton of time on image management patching, updating drivers, updating software, updating updating updating.  By laying down the reference image, adding in drivers, letting MDT boot into OS, and letting it layer on the software and configurations you need, you will significantly decrease your image management time.

I highly advise you to review deploymentresearch.com by Johan Arwidmark and deploymentbunny.com by Mikael Nystrom.  Search their sites for reference image information.

Also, another high profile bit of information is driver management and you can find a great post on DeploymentResearch.com for this.  Highly recommend Total Control Method.

TLawson

jasonPichie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 445
Message 5 of 22

tlawson,

thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try this way.

The reason I was using a physical machine before was that the image i was creating was just for that model.

We have different PCs/Applications in our different College labs.

Is there an easy way to get all the required drivers for a specific Lenovo model and Windows version?

It would be for WDS/MDT

Thanks

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 439
Message 6 of 22

Yes. 

Check out the Think Deployment Resource Center here

TLawson

jasonPichie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 398
Message 7 of 22

tlawson
thank you for all this info, so far I am getting close to what I want to get done with this deployment.

In the end, I would like to deploy the image I have created in VM, as well as 2 clean installs of Windows10. I work for a College, and we require 2 full admin/non-domain logins for students to learn (read "break stuff").

I am currently having 2 issues.
1 - deploying the image I captured works, but it does not change PC name, join domain or post deploy the applications I have. could I post/send my BDD log and maybe you could let me know the issue? I also have not Sysprepped this image yet, not sure if that matters.

2 - I know I can deploy the other 2 partitions with imagex (found a working command line for it), but would DISM be better? is it possible to use an MDT Variable with DISM for the /applypath /applydir , etc?

Also, can ImageX select an index for Windows10 wim? I have the all in one WIM, and need to select index 6.

also, I have the partitions formatted in my task, and gave them both variable names.

Thanks

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 389
Message 8 of 22

1.) Sysprep your image before deploying it.  This is the best place to start in troubleshooting these issues.  If you post your BDD.log, I can take a look and see if I notice any pitfalls right off.  Dont forget you may want to sanitize it of Usernames or passwords or domain information prior to posting.

2.) Are you just trying to create new partitions for something like Data drives or new partitions to actually deploy another copy of Windows to it?

TLawson

jasonPichie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 384
Message 9 of 22

1 - the PC name and domain join I use is part of the MDT deployment process (litetouch).
2 - I need to deploy 2 fresh installs of window10, once I get this working, I will use an unattend file with it to make it one click if I can

I was able to do the fresh installs with ImageX for Windows 10, I just need to do a BCD update after I think to make them accessible from boot menu.

Was just wondering if DISM is better than ImageX for this.

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 348
Message 10 of 22

@jasonPichie,

DISM is the best tool to apply images.  ImageX may still be around, but MDT and SCCM, from what I remember, do not use it anymore.

TLawson

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors