Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-28-2020

Canada

9 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 31 of 36

Re:T490 Boot Issues

2020-09-17, 19:46 PM

I sure would like to know what they mean by Data lost.  Can someone from Lenovo comment on whether this refers to the EFI partition?  This was clipped from the IRST readme.

Device name                               Device name in the Device Manager  ----------------------------------        -----------------------------------  Standard SATA AHCI Controller             Intel(R) 300 Sereies Chipset Family                                            SATA AHCI Controller  Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which  devices.  If this package has been installed, updating (overwrite-installing) this  package will fix problems, add new functions, or expand functions as noted  below.  This program is language independent and can be used with any language system. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE  Version  17.9.0.1007 [Important updates] - Fixed BSOD/Data lost issue with IRST 17.5.1.1021. [New functions or enhancements]  Nothing. [Problem fixes]  Nothing.

Options

20 Posts

03-07-2019

Germany

26 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 32 of 36

2020-09-25, 11:33 AM

I just opened a service request with Lenovo support. We have a strong suspicion that this is caused by a subset of Lenovo T490 devices using the Intel SSD Pro 7600p Series (SSDPEKKF512G8L for example). Take a look at this KB article at Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030855/intel-nuc.html

This doesn't happen on devices with Samsung SSDs.

Options

1 Posts

09-28-2020

Canada

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 33 of 36

2020-09-28, 16:48 PM

Hi, all!

I had the same issue after some Windows 10 (v1909) updates (they contained "Lenovo Firmware" update as well) on P43s machine. After restarting the machine I saw something like "BIOS backup ...." on the screen - I assume BIOS was being updated (it was updated to N2IET90W (1.68)). After that I wasn't able to get to Windows, was landed on a boot page, selecting Windows Bootloader there didn't do anything - i always was landed on the boot page (switching off/on of Secure Boot didn't help).

After some struggles and cursing, we decided to try troubleshooting with Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive. So we switched "Secure boot" off in the BIOS and booted from the USB drive, went to Troubleshooting and clicked on "Startup Repair". After that the machine had restarted almost immediately, Windows booted, we got to the screen with "Completing updates" and finally got to the Windows (all the data is intact and Windows is up to date). Booting seems to be repaired now. 

Options

20 Posts

03-07-2019

Germany

26 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 34 of 36

2020-09-29, 7:49 AM

If you are affected by this issue, the system partition will be corrupted. Do the following in a PE environment for example, to recreate the system partition.

CAREFUL: Make sure that you are really using disk 0 and partition 1 for the system partition by using list disk and list partition.

Also, if you are using a third party encryption provider, like McAfee, you will need to manually decrypt the disk first, before recreating the system partition.

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 1

delete partition override

create partition efi

format quick fs=fat32 label="System"

assign letter=S

exit

bcdboot C:\Windows

Options

1 Posts

10-10-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 35 of 36

2020-10-10, 9:11 AM

Same issues for me in a 3 week old T490. Just ordered a replacement. Ugh. I hope this one lasts like my 9 yo X1-C

Options

1 Posts

01-21-2021

Germany

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 36 of 36

2021-01-21, 20:06 PM

Thanks it worked out! :) Here are more details for dummies like me:

1) BIOS Settings
- UEFI mode on
- Secure mode of
- restart config of

2) Windows 10 Installation Media: (for example over USB stick)
Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
Boot from the media.
Select Repair Your Computer.
Select Troubleshoot.

3) Choose Command Prompt from the menu:

Type in the command:

Diskpart

Type in the command:

List disk            (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)

Type in the command:

Sel disk 0

Type in the command:

List vol               (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 2. Its fat32 and approx 100-250mb size)

Type in the command:

Sel vol 2

Type in the command:

assign letter=V:

Type in the command:

Exit

Type in the command:

V:

After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:

Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:

format V: /FS:FAT32

Type in the command:

bcdboot c:\Windows

Type in the command:

bcdedit -set {default} nointegritychecks 1

Now reboot and remove USB stick :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms