Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,462
Message 1 of 15

T490 not imaging

I just received our first T490 from Lenovo, but am running into an issue I have not encountered before.  When I boot to MDT, it applies the lite_touch wim, and then I see the Windows logo and the white spinning dots, but then the screen goes black.  The power is clearly still on, but nothing on the screen.  Never run into this before, anyone have any ideas?  I had a demo T495 that imaged just fine.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,388
Message 2 of 15

Re: T490 not imaging

@Hyp_Support,

We had another customer here in the forum report the same thing-ish.  It may be related to too many or incorrect storage drivers in the boot.wim.  Can you remove all the storage drivers from the boot WIM and add only the ones here?

TLawson

Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,382
Message 3 of 15

My only concern is that that Win PE has to do imaging for all of our models on a daily basis, so I don't want to remove something that is going to stop us from imaging, say, a T540p.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,350
Message 4 of 15

@Hyp_Support,

What version of ADK and WinPE Addon are you using?  I have seen the best results with using the ADK 1903 and WinPE Addon.  It has quite a bit of inbox support.  You could always set up a USB media with the vanilla boot.wim and boot a device, see what it does and does not have and go from there.

Also, as easy as changing drivers and building the LiteTouchPE_x64.wim is, you can easily move the drivers out of the selection profile, build a test wim, move the drivers back in, and rebuild the boot image.

TLawson

Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,190
Message 5 of 15

Ok, I just finished trying that and a whole bunch of other things, still no luck.  Everything else continues to image just fine (just not this generation, I tried a P53 this morning).  I'm also surprised that the T495 imaged fine, but the T490 does not.  I added the storage and network drivers for the T490/P53 to no avail.  I wonder what changed so drastically between the T480s and T490 that we have?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,181
Message 6 of 15

@tlawson wrote:

@Hyp_Support,

What version of ADK and WinPE Addon are you using? 

TLawson

Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,140
Message 7 of 15

So, I'm not sure about ADK (I had to look it up).  How do I find the versions?  In the case of Win PE I'm just using what was installed here by my predisessor, he set up the environment, and all the back ground.  When he left, it was turned over to me, though I don't fully understand it so I've been using it "as is" for quite some time, adding drivers to make things work when needed.

Sorry, I know thats not really helpful.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,129
Message 8 of 15

@Hyp_Support,

Thanks for getting back to me.  There are a few ways to get this information.

The first way to find out the ADK and WinPE version to be on the MDT server, navigate to the Control Panel > Programs and Features and look for Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit - Windows 10 in the list.  Then look at the version on the far right.  If you see Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit PreInstallation Environement Add-ons - Windows 10 as well, check the version on that too.

The second way to find the ADK and WinPE is, on the WDS server, open the WDS console, navigate down Servers > ServerNameHere > Boot Images and look at the OS version of the boot image used to PXE computers for MDT.

Lastly, you can PXE boot a computer to WinPE.  When WinPE loads and you see the MDT wizard, press F8.  This will open a command prompt.  At the top of the command prompt, you should see Microsoft Windows [Version 10.x.xxxxx.x]

To translate the versions, you can reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment to find the code base.

Once you have this info, let us know.

TLawson

Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,112
Message 9 of 15

Sorry, its going to be a little bit.  The boot images disappeared and I really need to get those back online first.

Hyp_Support
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,094
Message 10 of 15

Ok, back up and running!  Looking at the boot images folder, it looks like the OS version for most of them is 10.0.10586.  Using https://www.autoitconsulting.com/site/deployment/winpe-version-list/ it looks like that is:

10 (1511)Windows 10 151110.0.10586.0Windows ADK (Windows Kits 10.0) 1511

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors