Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PCAdmin-cj
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 1 of 14

T495 Hibernation during imaging

we are a having consistent issues with the T495 laptops going into Hibernation mode during imaging process. They are powered on with the USB-C charger and stay plugged in through the whole process. After PXE Booting and in the WinPE screen where we apply our image, it sometimes suddenly goes to sleep or hibernation. The screen will turn off, the red dot on the lid will slowly fade on and off as if it’s sleeping. Some instances we just close and open the lid and it will wake up, as if it thought the lid was closed. Other times it does not work and we need to press the power button or other buttons. We have to do a hard power down and restart the imaging process. We haven’t even applied a custom power setting at this stage.

This has happened to 4 computers today. One went into hibernation after the imaging process. We logged in and downloaded the latest Windows 10 v1809 patches. Did a reboot, it shut down, turned back on. It went to configuring updates and then the screen went black and the red dot on the lid faded in and out.

Other times it gets further in the process before going into hibernation. After applying the WIM and reboot, it may go to sleep or hibernation when installing the drivers, or configuring settings. It doesn’t appear like it is completely frozen, as we are able to toggle the Fn Lock light on the kb when this happens.

Reached out to our Lenovo rep and engineer, directed me here.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 402
Message 2 of 14

Re: T495 Hibernation during imaging

@PCAdmin-cj,

During WinPE and the Full OS, are you setting the power plan to High Performance.  I would recommend setting this to prevent sleep and to allow the CPU to run at its full potential.

To do this, add a run command line to your Task Sequence during WinPE prior to applying the OS.  Additionally, add a run command line step to the State Restore phase.  Set the command to:

powercfg.exe /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Towards the end of the task sequence, add another run command line to apply the custom power plan or set the power plan back to Balanced.  To set it to balanced, set the command to:

powercfg.exe /s 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

TLawson

PCAdmin-cj
Punch Card
Views: 397
Message 3 of 14

Actually, in some cases we haven't even gotten to that point where we select which Task Sequence for OSD we are going to apply. At that screen it will just go dark.

Strangely, this does not happen to any Intel based laptops - the T470, T480, T490's. None have gone to sleep. Perhaps this might be an AMD Ryzen issue that needs to be addressed? Once it is imaged, patched, and sent to the user, we haven't had any issues reported about power.

I will try your suggestion and see.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 391
Message 4 of 14

@PCAdmin-cj,

I will grab my T495 tomorrow and test to see if I can replicate.

TLawson

PCAdmin-cj
Punch Card
Views: 380
Message 5 of 14

Let me also state since the T495 came out this happened maybe once every 20 or 30 machines, if that. The ones that seem to work were from May and June. With this recent batch that arrived, we're sitting at around 12-14 out of 20 seem to have this issue. Ryzen 5 Pro and Ryzen 7 Pro manufactured in mid-late July.

Part of the task sequence is installing the latest BIOS. On the one that went through the entire TS and went into Windows, my coworker was working on it and it suddenly powered off/went into hibernation.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 364
Message 6 of 14

@PCAdmin-cj,

I meant to ask for the BIOS rev.  Thanks for letting me know you are using the web version.  I will perform some deployments on older and newer BIOSes and see what happens.

TLawson

PCAdmin-cj
Punch Card
Views: 309
Message 7 of 14

There has to be some kind of power issue. This T495 was sitting here at my desk, went into a deep sleep/hibernation mode. I spent a minute trying to power it on, and it refused to turn on. Finally it turned on and resumed from hibernation. High performance power plan with hibernation disabled. I have a video. Where should I send it? This happens randomly during imaging process, and even after for some reason. The battery is charged, over 90%.

Here's the video I took

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 221
Message 8 of 14

@PCAdmin-cj,

I have run some deployments with the T495 devices here.  I have an AMD Ryzen 7 PRO.  I am running ADK 1903 with the WinPE Addon.  I have not encountered the hibernation that you mention.  To add time to the deployment to ensure we would have time to hit a hibernation threshold, I have add a 30 minute delay to the deployment.

Can you confirm if you are using ADK 1903 with the WinPE Addon?

TLawson

PCAdmin-cj
Punch Card
Views: 183
Message 9 of 14

We're using 1809 ADK for Win PE.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 133
Message 10 of 14

@PCAdmin-cj,

I am currently using ADK 1903 and the 1903 WinPE Addon.  I will spin up a WinPE image with the 1809 ADK and Addon and test to see if it goes to sleep.

TLawson

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors