Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 1 of 10

TVSU -ACTION DOWNLOAD is waiting for user input

2020-11-12, 18:41 PM

I want TVSU to only download updates, so that I can later INSTALL them quicker.  

Here is my powershell command syntax:

$Process = "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Lenovo\System Update\tvsukernel.exe"

$Switches = '/CM -search A -action DOWNLOAD -noicon -nolicense -repository "\\SERVER\Repository"'

Start-Process -FilePath $Process -ArgumentList $Switches

This initiates the download process correctly, but at a certain point it stops and presents this in the tvsu_(date).log :

At this point, some updates have been downloaded but the process stops.  Is there something I am doing wrong?  I just want the updates to download, nothing more.  Why is it prompting anything?

The specific update this is hanging at is:  n2wa901w (Intel TXT Authenticated Code Module Driver (Windows 10 Version 1903 or 1909) - 10 [64])

EDIT: We are using Lenovo System Update 5.07.0110

Options

925 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1172 Signins

9786 Page Views

• Views: 9786
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:TVSU -ACTION DOWNLOAD is waiting for user input

2020-11-12, 18:50 PM

Do you get the same result if you call tvsu.exe instead of tvsukernel.exe?

Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2020-11-12, 19:01 PM

I'll try that now, what is odd is that running the same command on the same system, twice in a row, the second time it works.

This leads me to believe that one of the updates it's downloading, or it's detection logic is holding up the process.  Since the second time it may likely skip that update?

Is there a problem with calling tvsukernel.exe ?  This is what I have used for years.

Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-11-12, 19:18 PM

I changed it from tvsukernel.exe to tvsu.  The user got the following pop-up on their system for update : n2hrg28w

The computer is a Gen 7 X1 Carbon.

I chose it because it hasn't gotten updates recently.

Can you please answer if there is a way to silently download all required updates onto a computer using TVSU?

Below is the exact message from the TVSU log file.

"Message: Showing INFORMATIONWITHCANCEL Message: < Lenovo recommends that you install these updates to optimize your computer. Please note, the following updates may require your system to reboot more than once. We recommend saving your work in preparation for system shutdown."

Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-11-12, 19:40 PM

To further my complete confusion about the -ACTION DOWNLOAD switch, checkout what is now happening.

THe command being run is:

$Process = "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe"

$Switches = '/CM -search A -action DOWNLOAD -noicon -nolicense -repository "\\SERVER\Repostory"'

Start-Process -FilePath $Process -ArgumentList $Switches

BUT LOOK WHAT RUNS ACCORDING TO THE LOG!

Message: The command is: -search R -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,3,4,5 -noicon -noreboot -nolicense -defaultupdate -schtask 

WHAT THE H___ ?

It's set to DOWNLOAD not install!!

Options

925 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1172 Signins

9786 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-11-12, 19:50 PM

I just did a test on my own system using your command line.  I have created a local repository for my machine and I know there are two updates that should be applicable and one is a BIOS update.  All I see is a Windows 10 style notification that says updates are available.  In my session folder for SU I can see the two .exe files have been downloaded.  If I then run SU I'm shown the two updates with status "Deferred" which means they've been downloaded but not installed.  When I click Next I get the dialog you reference where it lists the BIOS update with the warning that it will reboot my system so I should save my work before clicking OK to continue.

It seems in your user's case SU believes it should perform the INSTALL action instead of DOWNLOAD.  Do you happen to also have the AdminCommandLine registry value set?

Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-11-12, 21:53 PM

I do not have the admin command line value set in the registry.  We didn't think that was necessary since the only time updates are run, are when we decide to run them.

So it seems that even though we specified DOWNLOAD, multiple DOWNLOAD attempts can trigger an INSTALL.  This seems like a bug to me.

Options

925 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1172 Signins

9786 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-11-12, 23:12 PM

Can you please check the Windows Task Scheduler and see if the default TVSU task is enabled?  The command line parameters you saw seemed to be those of the scheduled task.  This task is in the TVT folder in Task Scheduler.

If you do not want TVSU to run on a schedule you will need to disable this task and also set the registry value at SchedulerAbility to NO.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UserSettings\Scheduler]

"SchedulerAbility"="NO"

When you were calling tvsukernel.exe was that executing as the logged on user or under the System context?  And are your users generally Standard Users and not Administrators?  It seems that possibly when you first ran this the tvsukernel.exe process was hung up trying to present the Notification toast message that updates were available.  You should not have been getting any dialog prompts if the action was DOWNLOAD like you do when the action is INSTALL.  Due to security designs tvsukernel may not have been able to interact with the desktop for the notification.

Just so I'm clear on what you ultimately want to do, you want to execute TVSU silently by command line to download all applicable updates for the machine.  Then at some later point you will run TVSU to install those Deferred updates.  In the later run is that the end-user launching TVSU or will you have another command line that specifies the INSTALL action?  Will these commands be coming from SCCM or a scheduled task or some other means?  This will help us understand if we need to add changes to the backlog to deliver in a future release or what the right process would be to achieve your goal with current version.

Options

35 Posts

08-12-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-11-25, 20:38 PM

Sorry for the delay here, but I had to move on from this problem.

We run and manage all these commands using SCCM, which runs as SYSTEM.  Our goal is to DOWNLOAD updates as step 1.  Then later on, install updates as Step 2.

I think you were right that the command I was seeing was a scheduled task running.  We do have that policy disabled but what i think happened is it began to update and queued the remaining updates after the next restart (which happens).

I'm OK with that.  What I'm not OK with is the DOWNLOAD action did halt and try and present the user with an option.  That is still an issue.

Options

925 Posts

01-17-2010

United States of America

1172 Signins

9786 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-11-30, 23:13 PM

So you just want to silently defer all available updates until you run SU later to install them?

I think we will have to look into the workflow and possibly implement a separate -action option for this.  I'll take this back to the development team.

Another option might be to try Thin Installer triggered from SCCM.  It has the ability to download updates in one pass and then use -action INSTALLDEFERRED to install them later.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms