Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-04-2018

Ireland

19 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkBIOSConfig Version 1.28 still wont let me save SECURE BOOT,Enabled to BIOS on desktop models

2019-12-11, 14:25 PM

I use SCCM 2016 and in a Task Sequence after Disk Partitioning I call a Package and execute an INI file in the context of the package. It won't save the settings change I want to make for SECURE BOOT. I have not had any success for months on certain desktop models using Version 1.25 of the tool, so I downloaded Ver 1.28 which is a November 2019 release. The situation seems to be the same in V 1.28 I am trying to make this settings change on the following models M79, M800, M910t and M715s and most importantly the M79 where I have over 1800 units. With experimentation I can say that the INI file DOES work when I want to change and save settings for "OS Optimized Defaults","BootPriority","QuickBoot","BootMode" and "CSM" but it just wont save the change on the line that says "Secure Boot,Enabled". I've copied the utility (both versions) down locally to a PC and run the command line option but upon reboot the setting in the BIOS still shows Secure Boot as Disabled. I've run the GUI for ThinkBIOSConfig.hta (again both versions) and changed the drop down to Enabled - it goes RED - I've saved the changes and it tells me it has been successful in saving the changes but on reboot the BIOS still shows Secure Boot as Disabled. I've also used Powershell commands and something similar there too, announcing success but no change on reboot. The particular M79 machine I am trying it on now is BIOS Version MOLKT12AUS 1.12 of June 2016. I am beginning to suspect that ThinkBIOSConfig is for laptops only (ThinkPads) and is not meant for Desktops - am I correct ??? and can anyone tell me how to automate the change of the Secure Boot setting. If I am in front of the machine and in the BIOS (for the 4 models mentioned) I can change the setting manually and after a reboot I can see it saved - but I cant do it in the tools! Help

Options

193 Posts

06-02-2015

United States of America

824 Signins

9733 Page Views

• Views: 9733
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkBIOSConfig Version 1.28 still wont let me save SECURE BOOT,Enabled to BIOS on desktop model

2019-12-16, 14:34 PM

Hi GarrettB,

The ThinkBiosConfig tool is made for all Think branded machines. The issue you are experiencing on the M79 is that the WMI for controlling the SecureBoot setting is not implemented. I believe that no matter what the current setting of SecureBoot is, the WMI will always return Disabled.

I'll look at the other models you have listed to figure out if it is the same issue. If there is a problem with the tool not being able to change these settings on the newer machines, I'll see if we can get a new version out as soon as possible.

Options

6 Posts

01-04-2018

Ireland

19 Signins

133 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: ThinkBIOSConfig Version 1.28 still wont let me save SECURE BOOT,Enabled to BIOS on desktop model

2019-12-16, 17:16 PM
Thanks for reply dmcdermott - I would be most grateful for a special version that would allow it for the models mentioned - but especially the M79 - as we have a lot of them to change in this fashion
Options

6 Posts

01-04-2018

Ireland

19 Signins

133 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

Re:ThinkBIOSConfig Version 1.28 still wont let me save SECURE BOOT,Enabled to BIOS on desktop models

2020-05-16, 15:59 PM

Hi dmcdermott again

Were you ever able to get a new version of the ThinkBiosConfig tool for me that would allow me to set Secure Boot to Enabled on my Lenovo M79 desktops of which I have over 1,800 ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms