Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-17-2021

Iceland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 14

Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 (Type 20WN) - major shutdown issues

2021-11-18, 11:32 AM

Hello.

My company recently purchased Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 (Type 20WN) for laptop renewal and we've been experiencing major issues with "Shut down". Every time the computer shuts down, the fans are still constantly running and drain the battery very quickly. When we go to turn the computer on again, we have to force shutdown by holding the power button down for 10 seconds in order for the fans to stop. I have tried many different solutions, here's what I've tried so far:
-Disabled fast startup in power settings

-Disabled hibernate 

-Downloaded all the latest Lenovo Vantage, driver and Windows updates
-Tried changing shutdown registry keys

-Tried changing power settings in the BIOS

The only thing I've been unable to complete is the BIOS update from your website. When I load the .exe file and it goes to reboot to start the update, it shuts down instead with the fans running constantly. The only way to get to boot the computer again is to hold down the power button. Also it does not work to start the update from Lenovo Vantage, through command prompt or when I create a boot the update from USB as per your readme instructions. It either rejects the command/update completely or goes into the shutdown limbo. 

This is affecting all of the laptops we purchased, I am unsure of how we can continue going forward with this persistent issue. We deploy the workstation via WDS through PXE boot and we've had no problems with other types of T14s or T480s in the past. Do you have any idea what could be the cause of the issue? The windows version we're deploying is 20H2.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Kind regards!

Options

962 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1106 Signins

6511 Page Views

• Views: 6511
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 (Type 20WN) - major shutdown issues

2021-11-18, 12:20 PM

Do a control test using one of the systems, but NOT using the image you deployed to see if this is a flaw with the hardware (which would be fixed under warranty) or a flaw in your image.

Load either the default factory image (media can be created from 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

OR, create bootable install media from Microsoft's download site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reimage the system, destroying all previous partitions. If using Microsoft bootable media instead of factory media, that is an Advanced install where you delete all previous partitions. You don't need to recreate any; the install media will take care of that for you with no partitions on the drive.

After reimaging, run System Update

Test the shutdown operation.

If everything works as designed...it is your image that has some flaw. If, with the Lenovo factory image it does not work, you should engage a warranty repair (this is highly unlikely, the fact you observe the same behavior on all your T14s models indicates an image flaw)

Also....Windows 10 21H2 just launched within the last few days of this post, and is to be the "last" (no more versions) of Windows 10 according to Microsoft at the present time, though there will be the usual security updates, and major updates once a year. You should consider going to 21H2 as the "last" version you would need to run before moving to Windows 11.

Options

6 Posts

11-19-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 14

2021-11-19, 9:03 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Same image installed onto the laptops, some can be updated absolutely fine, others experience the power issue as soon as the INTEL Management Firmware update has been installed.

Options

6 Posts

11-19-2021

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2021-11-19, 14:16 PM
My hypothesis is that those laptops that had the latest BIOS firmware update installed could update the Intel firmware without issue. The laptops that have the Intel Firmware updated before the BIOS update are the ones experiencing the power issue. Presumable the Lenovo System Update software installs the Critical Updates first, which includes the Intel Firmware, then the BIOS update second as it's considered an Important update, which I believe is another reason why this issue is becoming prevalent. If these could be switched around, that may go someway to at least preventing the issue spreading.
Options

962 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1106 Signins

6511 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2021-11-19, 17:15 PM

The way to eliminate externalities is to start with a control...in this case, that would be the Lenovo Factory preload, to see if it is something introduced elsewhere...

Sidenote, DO NOT load "Optional Updates" from Windows Update...it can sometimes be "wrong". Only do official knowledgebase articles, and leave driver updates to the manufacturer, Lenovo.

Options

6 Posts

05-10-2016

Russian Federation

7 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 6 of 14

2021-11-23, 7:46 AM

Hello!

Have absolutely the same problem with 6 new laptops (Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 2 Type: 20WN), the problem exists with Windows 10 21H2 LTSC Enterprise image. All drivers + windows updates are installed. Firmware updated to the latest recommended.

Seems to me that preinstalled image have some drivers/configurations which is not standard... or something else...

The idea to use preinstalled image is not good, as it's corporate type of laptops so we can use any valid image of Windows 10 recommended and tested for this type of laptops (we use Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 version in our company). Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 - tested and recommended by Lenovo. 

Options

6 Posts

11-19-2021

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2021-11-24, 11:02 AM

Rebuilt a machine using the default factory image:

• Had to manually turn off the PC after every restart (and there are a lot of restarts when building a machine using that image!)
  • Installed all the drivers through System Update
  • Issue remains
    • Can't power off without holding down the power button or using the hard reset paperclip method
    • BIOS Update won't install as the machine can't restart

The solution to me is either find a way to get the BIOS to update that doesn't require a 'soft' restart, or rollback the Intel Firmware update.

Options

2 Posts

11-17-2021

Iceland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 8 of 14

2021-11-25, 11:10 AM

Having total control on which drivers are injected into the image does not solve this issue. We've done a lot of cleanup in the Win PE driver folder as well but this issue continues to affect us. Injecting the HSA driver package solves the fan issue when fast startup is enabled(you still have to force shut down to be able to turn it on again), but once you disable it and shut down, the fans run continuously. 

Options

6 Posts

11-19-2021

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2021-11-26, 15:02 PM

Just to add a little bit more information.

On the devices with the issue, in Device manager, the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface device has a yellow exclamation mark - Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43). Uninstalling the device, and removing the driver, creates Intel(R) Management Engine Interface #1 which appears to work, but doesn't solve the problem and will have the yellow exclamation mark on next reboot.

Options

962 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1106 Signins

6511 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2021-11-29, 12:52 PM

This does appear to be a problem with your imaging process and the drivers selected...Windows PnP makes mistakes sometimes, make sure you are parsing application of drivers through the WMI queries listed on the Lenovo Imaging recipe sheets https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT504220/?linkTrack=footer%3ASupport_Imaging_and_Security_Resources

The step about creating a control is not to replace your current procedure, but to determine if it is, in fact, the problem, or if it is hardware related.

I would encourage you to test with the factory image just to see if this is the case, so you can focus resources on the problem area if it is the imaging process.

Also, double check that the Intel Management Engine (ME) firmware is at the most current release level.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms