cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray311073
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,526
Message 1 of 46

Thunderbolt Firmware Detection Tool (1810r) - Download/Versions/output ?!

Hello,

we are about to develop a strategy to deploy the Thunderbolt FW and Driver Update on about 1.500 Clients (All kind of supported models). To get started we need to find out current Driver and Firmware Version of Thunderbolt Devices. To do so, we want to use the detect1810 Tool which has been mentioned several times across the board by Lenovo Staff.

But I need some more informations about this tool:

- Is there an official Lenovo Download Link, I only found direct links on some kind of file hoster posted by Lenovo Staff members, but I need to make sure this tool is an official Lenovo Tool and has no malware etc...

- Is there a list which Modell is supported by which version and how many version are available ?  (I know there are at least two version, 1810 and 1810r )

- Is it possible to save output straight into Registry/WMI or do we have to script that by ourself ?

- Instead of using the tool, does anybode know a WMI Query to read the Firmware of the TB Controller ? I can get DriverVersion but not Firmware yet....

Thank you in advance

Greetings

Heiko

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,487
Message 2 of 46

Re: Thunderbolt Firmware Detection Tool (1810r) - Download/Versions/output ?!

What model ThinkPads do you have?

One (easy) way to do this would be to use ThinInstaller and a repository (created by Update Retriever) that contains only the thunderbolt firmware updates for your models.  Then use ThinInstaller to handle the detection and apply the update as needed.  Could that work for you?

The detect tools come from the update packages.  So even if you don't want to use ThinInstaller, you can get the official detect tools by downloading the firmware packages with Update Retriever.

Ray311073
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,410
Message 3 of 46

A quick check showed that at least the following models are being used in our enviroment:

• ThinkPad X1 Tablet(Diff. Generations)
  • ThinkPad P52
  • ThinkPad P51
  • ThinkPad T480
  • ThinkPad T470/ThinkPad 25
  • ThinkPad Yoga 370
  • ThinkPad X280

So our customer owns amlost every affected Model

Unfortunatelly ThinInstaller is no option for us. All Clients get wiped and re-installed by our Enterprise Software Deployment, and being re-installed without any 3rd Party utilities, apart from System-Drivers, Thunderbolt Software and maybe Hotkey Feature.

But its good to know, that I could get the detection Tools, from the Firmware Update Packages.

I also found out that I can use Intel/Thunderbolt WMI Class to get Driver and Firmware Version. We have to do some more test with the WMI class, not sure if we can get the FW Version which is shown on the Download Pages: 

E.g. WMI shows FW Level like 14.0 for X280 and FW Download Page Readme shows new FW Level like N20TF19W for X280.  there is another String like 17.0.0.3 - is this the version as well ? Our example x280 has 14.0 installed and the new FW  N20TF19W  is same as "17.0.0.3" ? If this is the case, I can use powershell and dont the need detection Tool for our first inventory.

Thank you

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,343
Message 4 of 46

Using ThinkPad X280 as an example, take a look at the readme and scroll to the "Version Information" table about halfway down.

17.0.0.3 is the version of the update tool (not a firmware version).  N20TF19W is the lenovo-unique build number for the firmware... you won't find this in WMI.  The TbtControllerDetails class in ROOT\Intel\Thunderbolt namespace will have the NVMVersion property which corresponds to the "NVM Image" from the table.  For example, you can know that "NVMVersion = 20.00" corresponds to the latest firmware N20TF19W.

Also, I think you may not understand what ThinInstaller is.  It's a stand-alone tool which does not get installed.  It just applies updates and nothing else.  You can run it from a USB key, network share, or as part of a SCCM task sequence.  There is no "setup.exe", and nothing remains on the system after ThinInstaller has applied updates.  See here for more info:  https://thinkdeploy.blogspot.com/search?q=thininstaller

puderbaer
Punch Card
Views: 1,288
Message 5 of 46

Hi Heiko,

actually I have exactly the same problem as you, but with a lot more affected systems...

Could you eventually tell me which command you used to read out the Thunderbolt firmware version?

I only receive an error message "Thunderbolt not found", no matter if i use wmic or Powershell...

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Axel

Ray311073
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,245
Message 6 of 46

Hi  

Greetings

Heiko

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,219
Message 7 of 46

@Ray311073 wrote:

In addition to setting supervisor password, did you also set "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users" as Disabled?  If so, then you would need to change this setting to Enabled prior to updating BIOS, and you will need to know the supervisor password in order to change that setting.  After 3rd wrong password guess by WMI you will see "0199 Password Count Exceeded" error at POST and will be required to enter the supervisor password manually at the keyboard, or else system won't boot anymore.  ThinInstaller (or any other tool) can't bypass this.

So I would say that if you set "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users" as Disabled, and you have to guess supervisor password more than 3 times, then updating BIOS remotely is not realistic for you.

Ray311073
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,203
Message 8 of 46

@someotherguy wrote:

@Ray311073 wrote:

In addition to setting supervisor password, did you also set "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users" as Disabled?  If so, then you would need to change this setting to Enabled prior to updating BIOS, and you will need to know the supervisor password in order to change that setting.  After 3rd wrong password guess by WMI you will see "0199 Password Count Exceeded" error at POST and will be required to enter the supervisor password manually at the keyboard, or else system won't boot anymore.  ThinInstaller (or any other tool) can't bypass this.

So I would say that if you set "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users" as Disabled, and you have to guess supervisor password more than 3 times, then updating BIOS remotely is not realistic for you.

No, that "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users"" option has never been disabled by us. But still, if WMI calls with wrong passwords raise that 0199 error we cant do anything anway. Guess we will first focus on the models which do not need a minimum Bios Version, according to Readme. The clients which need a BIOS update first, will be taken care of later.

Thank you

Heiko

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,193
Message 9 of 46

@Ray311073 wrote:

No, that "Flash BIOS Updating by End-Users"" option has never been disabled by us. But still, if WMI calls with wrong passwords raise that 0199 error we cant do anything anway. Guess we will first focus on the models which do not need a minimum Bios Version, according to Readme. The clients which need a BIOS update first, will be taken care of later.

What WMI calls are you going to make where supervisor password is required?  The thunderbolt-related queries do not need any supervisor password.

Ray311073
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,149
Message 10 of 46

Thunderbold queries itself are already working (without password of course). But I could imagine to check Thunderbolt Bios Assist mode, or if TB is enabled at all and then change these settings. For future usage we could use WMI to e.g. enable or disable Camera or other devices. We just getting started with edit Bios Settings with WMI and this Thunderbolt FW Rollout may be the first one we really need to use it

The "Lenovo BIOS Setup using WMI Deployment Guide"  says "If a supervisor password is already set, you must specify that supervisor password before you can change any BIOS settings."

And if I check the examples in the PDF , I have to specify the password two times, once for setting the new value and then again for saving the new value.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors