cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toure999
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,931
Message 1 of 10

Unable to deploy using MDT2013/WDS on L440 cause of SSD16gb + HDD presence ?

Hello everyone,
I am currently experiencing a big problem to deploy the Windows 7 Enterprise Images on our L440 using MDT2013/ WDS with my Server 2012 installed on my Lenovo D30 workstation.
The problem is that MDT can not figure out what disc to install the windows system since the L440 have a SSD of 16GB and a HDD of 500GB.
I did several tests with my task sequences by specifying the hard disk on which to install by Disk 0 or Disk 1 but I still have the same error Failure (5456): Unable to determine the Destination Disk, Partition, and / or Drive ...
Yesterday I had to open an L440 machine and physically remove the SSD, then do a new test so that it works perfectly.
I note that in our company we use only computers Lenovo (x131e, L420, L430, L440, T450s, x230, M93p and other models ...)
Is there another way to deploy the images using MDT2013 (the one I use) on the L440 without having to physically remove the SSD, even if it is necessary to disable it in the BIOS before deploying? Or someone knows the solution so that MDT can determine on which disk to install the OS.
Thank you very much, waiting for your answers

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,878
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unable to deploy using MDT2013/WDS on L440 cause of SSD16gb + HDD presence ?

toure999,

On your install Operating System Task in the TS, what did you set for the "Select location where you want to apply this operating system?"  I have Logical drive letter stored in a variable in the drop down and the Variable is OSDisk.

Also, have you looked in the Validation and Preinstall sections and verified that the Validate task has the Check to ensure specified image size will fit (MB): is enabled and set to a number larger than the size of the Windows 7 Wim file you are deploying?

I think these two items will help.  Please let me know what happens.

Tlawson

toure999
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,859
Message 3 of 10

Re: Unable to deploy using MDT2013/WDS on L440 cause of SSD16gb + HDD presence ?

Tlawson,

On my Task Sequence for L440, I have set also Logical drive letter stored in a variable, and the variable is OSDisk.

But I just look now on ''Validation'' section, Validate, that ''Check to ensure specified image size will fit (MB) is uncheck effectively.

I will set it as you said and will let you know if it work or not tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,839
Message 4 of 10

That configuration of drives in its original factory image was used as a cached storage device.

You must reinitialize both storage devices using the Microsoft DISKPART command, with the sub command CLEAN to wipe all partition information from both drives. Google DISKPART if you are not familiar with the command.

You can then set the primary boot device in the BIOS in the boot order sequence.

If you don't use the CLEAN command, you will continue to have issues.

toure999
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,816
Message 5 of 10

Tlawson,

I check in Validate section of my task sequence the option ''Check to ensure specified image size will fit (MB)'' and I put a number larger than my windows 7 .wim image and it is not working, a new error come just after deployment and restart of the laptop. it show ''An operating system was not found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system Press Ctrl+Atl+Del to restart ''

I'm going to try the solution proposed by rbkirk, by integrating the disk part option on my task sequence.

Thanks again for your reply, will let you know rbkirk if it work.

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,805
Message 6 of 10

Here is the official support article on the problem you are seeing...

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT080868

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,785
Message 7 of 10

toure999,

Sounds good.  rbkirk is on to something here.  I know there is another post about this in the forums from someotherguy with a script.  It is from MDT 2010 but should be similar for the BIOS format and partition.  If you are doing UEFI, you will have to edit the scripts some.

HTH,

Tlawson

toure999
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,733
Message 8 of 10

Hi everybody,

After some test, still the same issues and error message, even if I specify the drive to use on the task sequence or if I run Diskpart clean manualy or/and on the task sequence, it is not working. But during my test, when I manually disable the SSD16gb boot on the BIOS, it successfuly deploy Windows on some computer with a simple task sequence, but not on other. Weird, because I actually don't know why it is working like that in some computer and not in other knowing that all of them are L440.

Any other solutions please ?

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,721
Message 9 of 10

Change the primary boot order to put the rotational drive before the 16GB SSD. Better still, remove the 16GB SSD from the primary boot sequence in BIOS settings.

You still have to do the Diskpart Clean command on both storage devices...

That should make the rotational drive the only thing SCCM "sees" for installation.

toure999
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,678
Message 10 of 10

Hi everybody,

Actually it seems to be the one solutions for deploy, I mean, changing manually the boot order and remove the SSD16gb from the boot list.

It is actually working for all the remaining L440.

We have actually ordered L460, hope that it will be fine with this model. ;-)

Thank you very much for your support, I accept that as solution rbkirk and Tlawson.

Best regards,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors