Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanneUlf
Paper Tape
Views: 708
Message 1 of 9

Uninstall preinstalled McAfee

We use Lenovo 300e which comes preloaded with Win10 pro education. The systems are being prepared using Autopilot and Intune.

In the autopilot preparation, Panda antivirus is being installed. This causes some problems since McAfee is already preloaded on the system.

What we basically want is to have McAfee uninstalled silently. We haven’t found any way of doing this (other than manually on each system) and we have tried a lot.

If we could have the installationpackage that McAfee provide Lenovo with, we could use that to have a fully automated uninstallation of McAfee.

If there is any other way we could uninstall McAfee in an automated way, we would be very interested in how to do that.

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 692
Message 2 of 9

Re: Uninstall preinstalled McAfee

The following is not official procedure, and should be done with a small scale test to see if it will work the way you want.

In Powershell with appropriate rights, see if you can determine the install/Display name of the package you want to remove with the command 

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select DisplayName | Sort DisplayName

Once you have the DisplayName variable, see if you can use this command to uninstall the package, replacing "xxxxxx" with the DisplayName. Leave the asterisks in place for this command, just the xxxxxx needs replacement.

Get-AppxPackage *xxxxxx* | Remove-AppxPackage

You should be able to use this command for other packages as well that you want to eliminate, if any.

For some systems, Lenovo also offers the Ready to Provision preload as a custom option. This would be "stripped" Windows 10, just the OS, drivers, and critical code to run the system correctly. If you specify this when you order the unit, it would come the way you want already.

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 674
Message 3 of 9

pretty sure the preloaded mcafee on those systems is not an appx package, so scripting the removal of a non-appx package will be out of the question.

OP, you'll need to double check that by going to add/remove programs and see if mcafee is listed there.  if it is, mcafee has an uninstall tool available.  whether or not it supports silent uninstall, you'll have to test to confirm.  if it does support it, you can use the win32 content prep tool to convert to an .intunewin format, upload to intune, and deploy.

for future devices, you should also check with your account rep regarding a cleaner preload so this won't happen in the future.

DanneUlf
Paper Tape
Views: 667
Message 4 of 9

I have been in contact whith McAfee and did´nt get much help there. They cant provide me with the installpackage I want. And, yes it is possible to uninstall it from add/remove program but only as a manual option. I have not yet managed to do it silently. As shown below the uninstallstring is C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\mcuihost.exe /body:misp://MSCJsRes.dll::uninstall.html /id:uninstall. If I run that from RUN it works but not silent. If there where a switch like /q I could use then the problem would be solved. But there is not.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Installer\mcinst.exe" "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MfeAV\vsoLI.inf" /uninstall
SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A96FA488-2856-437F-8EAC-1FD67F0EE32C}

MSC:
        DisplayIcon=C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\\mscinres.dll
        DisplayName=McAfee LiveSafe
        DisplayVersion=16.0 R20
        EstimatedSize=0x00102229 (1057321)
        InstallLocation=C:\Program Files\McAfee
        Publisher=McAfee, Inc.
        UninstallString=C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\mcuihost.exe /body:misp://MSCJsRes.dll::uninstall.html /id:uninstall
        VersionMajor=16
        VersionMinor=0
Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 662
Message 5 of 9

did you try the uninstall tool i linked to see if it supports unattended uninstall?
DanneUlf
Paper Tape
Views: 658
Message 6 of 9

Yes. and no, It does not support anattended uninstall. If I just could get the installation package for McAfee LiveSafe, Panda can build the uninstallationprocess for us. Thats why I try to get the original installation package.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 582
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

I am unsure if it will work silently with your particular pre-loaded version of McAfee LifeSafe, but ESET does offer an uninstall tool that covers a couple of thousand versions of different security and utility programs. It can be found at http://support.eset.com/kb146/.

As always, make thorough backups and test extensively on a scratch system before deploying to production.  About six years ago I wrote a somewhat-generic guide to switching security products on computers running Microsoft Windows.  It is located at https://goretsky.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/the-secret-guide-to-uninstalling-any-anti-virus-software/ and comes out to about six pages when printed.  It might be helpful, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
DanneUlf
Paper Tape
Views: 499
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I tried that but it doesnt support McAfee LiveSafe. I did however manage to get hold of the original installation package that is packet in the recovery partition on the computer. Panda need that to make an uninstallation process that they can include in there instation agent for Panda. So hopefully can they produce a solution for us. Thanks for all tips, they are always welcome. Smiley Happy

DanneUlf
Paper Tape
Views: 455
Message 9 of 9

The problem is now solved thanks to Panda who managed to build a uninstallation process and include that in their installationagent. We have tried it on several klients and it seems to work.

Thank you Panda Security. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors