Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

07-31-2015

United Kingdom

7 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 5

X240 SCCM 2012 R2 OSD issue - no IP address after WIM application

2015-07-31, 13:32 PM

I'm having some serious issues trying to image X240s with our new SCCM-led build.

After populating the WinPE image with every driver known to man and only being able to image the T series laptops, I stripped the image back to basics, creating an MDT WinPE image and adding no drivers.

I could successfully build all T series from 420 to 450 as well as W540, but no X series machines.

I changed the driver install phase from within Windows to within WinPE.

After discovering that the X230 SCCM package did NOT contain the driver for the ethernet adapter in the X230 I was testing with I manually added the driver to the X230 package, and the machine built correctly.

I am still having issues with the X240.

I have looked up the exact model via Lenovo and downloaded the supplied network adapter driver, and added it to the X240 driver pack - the install fails.

I have downloaded Intel's version of the driver, and the install fails.

I've monitored the build, and run ipconfig at the WinPE stage - the machine has a valid IP, downloads and applies the WIM, and successfully opens up a Multicast session to download the X240 driver pack.

Once the machine reboots to apply the drivers, there is a Local Area Connection adapter specified in ipconfig, however the IP is an automatic private address.

Running ipconfig /release fails, and ipconfig /renew just hangs and does nothing.

When downloading the drivers and applying them to WinPE (as a test) they show up as l217-LM drivers.

When building, the machine identifies as having an l218-LM adapter, so I'm not sure if something is going strange there.

Any advice?

Options

7 Posts

07-31-2015

United Kingdom

7 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: X240 SCCM 2012 R2 OSD issue - no IP address after WIM application

2015-07-31, 15:13 PM

Hmm.

After all this it appears it might just be some funkiness with the X240 in general.

When I went back to the machine, I found that ipconfig /renew had worked - it just took ages. The machine had failed to join the domain, but it successfully gained an IP to do some other network related tasks.

I've added an ipconfig /renew step to my task sequence and used WMI to ensure it just runs for the X240, and am testing it again now.

Options

7 Posts

07-31-2015

United Kingdom

7 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2015-07-31, 19:10 PM

Scratch that.

The step 'Setup Windows and ConfigMgr' runs. The first part of this step starts in WinPE, when there is connectivity.

The machine then reboots and immediately continues with the second part of the step - at this point, an automatic private address is issued.

Any ipconfig /renew after this point is pointless, as by this time the domain join has already failed.

I've now put in a small sub-group that runs specifically for X240 machines, which will ipconfig, run the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step AGAIN, and then continue.

I'll have to wait to see if that works as it's late and it's Friday!

if someone from Lenovo could weigh in on this, and advise why only an X240 is exhibiting this weird problem of not being able to retrieve an IP address (considering that after an ipconfig /renew it works again) immediately after booting to Windows, that'd be great.

Options

1 Posts

08-20-2015

Australia

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-08-20, 5:57 AM
Hi MorsePacific,
Did you ever get around this issue.
I am facing exactly the same problem as yours but with a different model and was wondering if adding ipconfig /renew worked for you?
Thanks
Options

7 Posts

07-31-2015

United Kingdom

7 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2015-08-20, 14:37 PM

Hey, sorry I should have updated this thread.

In the end I went into the driver pack itself once it was imported into SCCM and discovered that there were four different NIC drivers, all supporting variations of Windows.

I removed all but the one driver which supported all OSes, re-distributed the driver pack, and then miraculously it worked!
It seems that the machine was picking up the wrong NIC driver from the pack.

This is very frustrating because the way that the pack is presented by Lenovo, you would assume that they had it set up so that the machine would be capable of selecting the right driver, but apparently not.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms