Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB-LMTSD
Paper Tape
Views: 1,583
Message 1 of 7

capture image Lenovo X1 carbon 5th Gen

trying to capture an image of a Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen with SCCMwhen I run the task to capture an image it goes through the sysprep but then  it does not go any further, the TsProgressUI just runs when the progress bar finishes it starts up again. see link to the video

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,569
Message 2 of 7

Re: capture image Lenovo X1 carbon 5th Gen

JB-LMTSD,

The video says it is unavailable.  

Can you capture an image from any other device with this TS?  I am kind of curious as to why you would want to capture a sysprepped image from a physical piece of hardware?  I could understand grabbing the image from a computer where someone important left the company, but, to me, sysprepping an image means you are getting it ready to redeploy.

Thx,

Tlawson

JB-LMTSD
Paper Tape
Views: 1,541
Message 3 of 7

thanks for the reply,

yes i can caputure other machines with it (Dells), the laptop is it not sysprepped,  the machine will be my base image so i can deploy the same image to other X1 Carbons. see pic.. I'll try to fix the video link.. IMG_2976.JPG

Lenovo Employee tlawson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,519
Message 4 of 7

JB-LMTSD,

I would recommend creating your reference image built on a VM.  This will mean that you then dont have an image out there for the each piece of hardware you own, ie an image for each Dell, for each Lenovo and so on.  That is expensive to manage.  My reccomendation would be to stand up a VM in HyperV, create an reference image with all the software, plugins, configurations, updates, and other common items amongst your environment.  Then take that reference image, which is now hardware agnostic, and deploy it to each of your models.  You would then layer on the drivers (specific to the model), hardware specific apps, and then applications and other configurations that make that computer an accounting computer, an HR computer, or a receptionist comptuer.  As a final step, you then layer on the apps that are specific to a user (licensed software....) through SCCM.

This will in the end reduce time and workload required to maintain images specific to each piece of hardware.

For deploying Lenovo systems, we have some good resources available to assist IT Admins with deployments.  Feel free to browse our ThinkDeployment Resource Center, specifically our Deployment Recipe Cards for individual pieces of hardware.

To directly address your question about what is happening in the video, which is now working by the way, is that we would need to see your logs from that specific comptuer to begin to diagnose what is going on.

HTH,

Tlawson

Edwinx
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,070
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

I am trying this exactly method. in my VM image, I have 2 partitions. when I restore to the laptop, do I overwrite all partitions and place it with this image or retain most of the default Lenovo partitions and just replace the 2 partitions in Windows?

this is on the latest X1 Carbon with usb-c connector.
Thanks,
Highlighted
Kev2019
Paper Tape
Views: 130
Message 6 of 7

Did anyone figure out a solution for this problem?

Kev2019
Paper Tape
Views: 83
Message 7 of 7

I know this is an old problem but we just got some Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen. Laptops and I was also having this issue. 

Synaptics Pointing device driver is the problem. Go to Device Manager and select Uninstall. Make sure you check “Delete the driver software for this device” checkbox. Do not restart and just run the image capture wizard. I was able to succesfully capture the image and that device driver will reinstall when the pc reboots.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors