Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemEnterprise Client Management
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-07-2021

Italy

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 91 of 169

Re:rtump64x64.sys bluescreen on X1 Yoga Gen 4 attached to ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Type 40AC

2021-03-08, 19:17 PM

@ Keessie wrote:

To circumvent the problem with the Realtek 8153 I use for the time being a DeLOCK 62121 usb3.0 to ethernet adapter. It has an ASIX chipset and works flawlessly.

Thanks, Keessie. Actually I ordered a StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter that also has a ASIX chipset. I should receive it the day after tomorrow and will test it right away ;)

Options

174 Posts

11-10-2015

United States of America

203 Signins

1214 Page Views

• Views: 1214
  • Message 92 of 169

Re:rtump64x64.sys bluescreen on X1 Yoga Gen 4 attached to ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Type 40AC

2021-03-08, 22:02 PM

In case it helps anyone else here is our current working process:

1. Open Device Manager -> Network Adapters
  2. Find the Lenovo USB usually but might have a different name.
  3. Right click and choose uninstall.
  4. Make sure to check box to delete driver.
  5. Scan for hardware changes
  6. Wait for network adapter to return to list.
  7. Verify the driver version is less than 10.43
  8. Update drivers - likely via Windows Update
  9. After the drivers update to 10.43 or 10.44 rollback the drivers.

This process should tell Windows to stay at a pre 10.43 driver version until at least 10.45 drivers are released if not forever. You need to repeat this process if you attach to a different dock / usb ethernet.

Options

10 Posts

03-07-2021

Italy

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 93 of 169

2021-03-09, 7:44 AM

@ BrianHFASPS wrote:

In case it helps anyone else here is our current working process:

1. Open Device Manager -> Network Adapters
  2. Find the Lenovo USB usually but might have a different name.
  3. Right click and choose uninstall.
  4. Make sure to check box to delete driver.
  5. Scan for hardware changes
  6. Wait for network adapter to return to list.
  7. Verify the driver version is less than 10.43
  8. Update drivers - likely via Windows Update
  9. After the drivers update to 10.43 or 10.44 rollback the drivers.

This process should tell Windows to stay at a pre 10.43 driver version until at least 10.45 drivers are released if not forever. You need to repeat this process if you attach to a different dock / usb ethernet.

Many thanks, Brian!

Options

19 Posts

03-09-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 94 of 169

2021-03-09, 18:28 PM

I really hope Lenovo is taking this issue seriously. My company has around 75 Lenovo laptops that seem unable to maintain a network connection when starting a MS Teams or Zoom call. Fortunately, we mostly have T590's and T15's so we have just moved the network cable from the Lenovo USB-C Dock Gen 2 (Type 40AS) directly to the laptop.

On top of that, we also recently had a Realtek Audio driver issue where Lenovo pushed a driver update and the built-in microphone array disappeared from all our T15 laptops. The fix for that was to insure all T15 laptops were on the 1.17 BIOS, then use the Realtek HD Audio Drivers 2.82 package directly from Realtek (which ironically looks like it uses Intel drivers from some of its hardware). The installer we used was the "0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282.exe" package. Even so, this has been problematic recently - sometimes the installer locks up when trying to first uninstall the drivers, and then may later error out when trying to reinstall the drivers. We now suspect that the laptop may be trying to acquire drivers from across the net even as we are rebooting to finish installing the package. We now plan to disconnect the laptop from all networks and WiFi until we have completed the update.

I really seems like Lenovo has been force pushing out driver updates that don't go through the Lenovo System Update app. This could be devastating for my company. Most all of my company's revenue for the entire YEAR occurs in the month of March and if/when Lenovo starts pushed unrequested driver updates they potentially jeopardize the entire company. We need those computers to be rock stable for February and March. Lenovo has to start doing a BETTER job on driver releases! And no more forced driver pushes!

Options

174 Posts

11-10-2015

United States of America

203 Signins

1214 Page Views

• Views: 1214
  • Message 95 of 169

2021-03-09, 18:41 PM

Speaking of the network driver specifically it wasn't pushed by Lenovo. It is an updated driver that was submitted by Realtek to Microsoft for Windows Update. That driver applies to devices from many manufacturers that use the Realtek chips and was pushed out via Windows Update. As best I can tell Lenovo has no control over this driver only Microsoft and Realtek do. It might be a similar case of the other drivers you are speaking of.

The issue is truly Realtek but we didn't buy anything from Realtek we bought from Lenovo so they are the ones helping out in this process.

Options

19 Posts

03-09-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 96 of 169

2021-03-09, 20:56 PM

Thanks for the clarification! I'll have to check into that further. Normally my company has all Win updates go through its servers and it locks everything down during this season. But perhaps these updates were previously approved and we just didn't realize there was going to be a problem until employees that were working remotely came back into the office and connected to our network and then received them. It's a relief to know there isn't some extra, unknown installer kicking in.

Options

1 Posts

03-10-2021

Denmark

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 97 of 169

2021-03-10, 10:30 AM

I, too, have been struggling with this driver issue and I have about 200 computers with potential BSODs. 

First, my experience is, that all above driver versions above 10.39.518.2020 are not working properly. 

When using the rtump64x64.sys driver (10.4x), the ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 (type 40AF among others) could eventually crash if network cable is attached, just like many others have experienced. 

But when using the rtux64w10.sys driver (10.39.518.2020), the computer stops crashing. 

To force the device to use this driver, in Device Manager, uninstall the current driver (Lenovo USB Ethernet) and don't forget to remove the device driver. Rescan the device and let Windows find the the driver automatically. 

It is possible to automate the process with Powershell. 

Edit: This does not solve the actual issue with the driver, nor does it fix the Windows Update pushing this driver to the device - this is a work-around until the driver has been fixed from Realtek. 

If implementing this work-around, disable automatic driver update in Windows Update settings. 

Options

12 Posts

11-20-2019

Germany

54 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 98 of 169

2021-03-10, 14:55 PM

@ Clawdia wrote:

... except it seems like I cannot roll back to a previous version of the driver :'(

My interface is in Italian, obviously, but as you can see, the rollback option is greyed out:

If you think there are other things I can do (in addition to using Wi-Fi, I guess?), let me know! Thanks in advance.

Hello Clawdia,

you can use this driver here https://download.lenovo.com/km/media/attachment/USBCG2.zip

It is version 10.33.

• in device manager click on "update driver" (the second button in your screenshot)
  • then choose the second option "browser my computer for device software"
  • then choose the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • then click the button "Have disk..."
  • browse to the extracted files of the ZIP archive above
  • install this driver

Have fun with NO bluescreens ;-)

Options

10 Posts

03-07-2021

Italy

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 99 of 169

2021-03-10, 15:36 PM

@ AlexB1971 wrote:

Hello Clawdia,

you can use this driver here https://download.lenovo.com/km/media/attachment/USBCG2.zip

It is version 10.33.

• in device manager click on "update driver" (the second button in your screenshot)
  • then choose the second option "browser my computer for device software"
  • then choose the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • then click the button "Have disk..."
  • browse to the extracted files of the ZIP archive above
  • install this driver

Have fun with NO bluescreens ;-)

Thank you, Alex!

Just a question, please bear with me: if I install this driver, won't my PC try to automatically look for a newer one? I apologise if this is a stupid question, I'm not really sure how Windows Updates/Lenovo Vantage really work!

Options

12 Posts

11-20-2019

Germany

54 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 100 of 169

2021-03-11, 9:02 AM

@ Clawdia wrote:

Thank you, Alex!

Just a question, please bear with me: if I install this driver, won' my PC try to automatically look for a newer one? I apologise if this is a stupid question, I' not really sure how Windows Updates/Lenovo Vantage really work!

Hi Clawdia,

as mentioned one post above "If implementing this work-around, disable automatic driver update in Windows Update settings."

So disable automatic driver update like it is described here: 
How to disable automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms