Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinochio79
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 199
Message 1 of 7

Backup Exec & IBM LTO7 Hardware Encryption Support

We are using BackupExec 14 on W2012 R2 Along with IBM LTO7 Standalone Tape Drive. 6160H7S/ULT3580-HH7

Is hardware encryption supported with this Tape model under Symantec BE.2014?

From teh BackupExec > Storage Setting , I see following ...no encrypt for be 2014.PNG

cterek
WWAN
Views: 185
Message 2 of 7

Re: Backup Exec & IBM LTO7 Hardware Encryption Support

Encryption is only supported through AME - Application Managed Encryption

- if BE.2014 doesn't support this then it's a no and you will need to look at other 3rd party software that can do it, like IBM Spectrum Protect.

Considering all versions prior to BE.16 are end of support, you may need to look at updating your backup software or look at an option that supports AME and would be able to give you the option for encryption on that tape drive.

pinochio79
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 180
Message 3 of 7

upgrading to new backup exec requires license budgeting which is not possible this year.

If we opt for Software Compression + Software Encryption, how much payload or time it will increase?

Currently only Hardware Compression is enabled in BackupExec.

Example we have a x3650 M5 with 10 disks of RAID10 , current backup job compeltes in 6 hours, IF we add Software Compression + Software Encryption (as I heared that we should use only one type of thing either hardware or software and we should not mix hardware/software both ) what is the roughly esitmate that how much time the job will take ?

cterek
WWAN
Views: 176
Message 4 of 7

Depends on the data you're backing up, it's not possible to say or calculate. Run a test with a small data set that would be reflective of the entire data, with and without compression; then you can extend that to the whole data set in order to get an idea of the total time.

pinochio79
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 170
Message 5 of 7

Ok I will Test it tonight with software base compression+encryption.

Is there any way that I can see ensure that encryption is applied on the tape (once the job is completed) ?

cterek
WWAN
Views: 159
Message 6 of 7

If it's based on the BE SW compression/encryption there should be a "verification" option; I'm not familier with BE so it may be worth looking into the documentation to see how it's verified.

You may want to post in the BE forum for something like that though (I'm guessing there is one) as your verion is EOS so you will likely not be able to go to Veritas to get support.

Highlighted
pinochio79
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 127
Message 7 of 7

Just for info.

Ok This is the Backup Job Log after done with Software Encryption + Software Compression. Most of the the data was Lotus Domino NSF mail files & domino folder backup as well.

Compression Type: Software
Encryption Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1.6:1
Software compression ratio: 1.1:1
Software compression ratio: 1.4:1
Without Encryption , job was done in 6 hours, & with softwarer base Enc[128bit]+Compression , it completed in 6.5 hours. So 1.5 hours was extra added.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors