Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keggy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 589
Message 21 of 29

Re: IX2 major security issues and I've been hacked

I don't believe you will find it. From what I could read, wondershare did say that they do restore filenames but I'm not certain that this will be the case off a NAS drive. The creation date will also be lost so not all the aspects of the data will be restored. 

If the drives are empty then it's likely they have removed the files. Were you left with a text message on the drive? It indicated to me that the files were removed to off-site.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 543
Message 22 of 29

Keggy,  I wanted to let you know that I have been able to verify that I could down the the flash update to a USB.  I plugged it into the machine and used then local console to then do the update with no isuses. 

rnono
Fanfold Paper
Views: 540
Message 23 of 29

Yes, and we are not the only ones.

It appear that there was a big attack on Lenovo / Iomega NAS systems ::

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-decryptiomega.html

https://www.enigmasoftware.com/decryptiomegaransomware-removal/

Another forum with some people with the same issue

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/701380/decryptiomega-nas-ransomware-your-files-are-the-saf...

On my side, I'm trying different softwares to rebuild my data.

It seems to be feasible (but very long and without folders and filenames)...

I'm trying :

- R-studio

- Recovermyfiles

- EaseUS data recovery

- Recuva

- ZAR

- Use of a special distribution of Linux ot try some recovering solutions...

Dear Lenovo, Are you working on a definitive protection about that issue and/or a method to get the data back???

I will have a new NAS to buy, do you have any suggestion?

rnono
Fanfold Paper
Views: 524
Message 24 of 29

I've been able to update mine also through the web console.

For that I replace the two hard drives by a old one I had since I changed the two disks a few years ago.

Keggy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 479
Message 25 of 29

Thank you. I will download the update to usb and update but I have no faith in using this device again. 

This problem is bigger than I first thought with lots of other people reporting similar issues. How are Lenovo washing their hands of this problem? 

Can your tech guys not even suggest a way of recovering the data? I'm sure they have been through this before.

rnono
Fanfold Paper
Views: 466
Message 26 of 29

The most important point is to have regular updates.

My iomega has always been difficult to update and the last update has not been announced (generaly I had a mail from the NAS to inform of an update pending).

After that, the hacking we have is linked to linux not to iomega.

It seems that all the brands have been attacked.

The one that are updating regularly and also the old products have more chances to be protected...

One of the conclusion is also that the NAS is very good for material breakdown but nothing replace a good offline backup for hacking/sofware defect...

Keggy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 379
Message 27 of 29

I see that Lenovo have not replied to your queries.

Just washing their hands of the problem and not helping in any way.

Have you found yet if the files are encrypted and hidden or have they been removed. Initially, I felt that they had been removed but is there a possibility that they have been encryped and hidden from view ?

Going to try disk recovery, Linux reader next as both Wondershare and Aesus have returned similar results. Wondershare have structered them better IMO.

Lenovo company ideaology :  “We aspire to be more than just a leading personal technology company, but to be a company that is known, admired, and respected around the world.” - Not doing a great job. Are you ?

rnono
Fanfold Paper
Views: 292
Message 28 of 29

I think the fact that Lenovo doesn't take place in the discussion is only a question of legal advice.

If they support us, it can be understood as the fact that they admit a fault.

nevertheless, I get all my important data back through recovery software.

I'm now trying to find another ways to do it but apparently, the files have not been erased neither encrypted on our drives.

The only thing lost for the moment is the folder architecture and the files names.

For your recovery, the data files structure seems to be NTFS and not Ext2 as I was expecting.

Highlighted
Keggy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 111
Message 29 of 29

I know how you feel. I've not successfully recovered my files as yet. It would have been nice if Lenovo offered some help due to the fact that this was caused by them. They are just ignoring everyone and as far as compensation goes, dont expect it. I've already chucked my nas in the bin and kept the drives.

Total joke of a company. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors