Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dkearney
What's DOS?
Views: 229
Message 1 of 7

i need some help

I was messing around with my phone yesterday and all of a sudden I lost all of my contacts phone numbers. I did however have all of their other information. then When I went into my text messages i had numbers but no names attached to them. I do not know what to do. Can anyone help me please.........

hvs5
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 7

Re: i need some help

This happened to me too yesterday. I wasn't even messing around with the phone but the exact same thing occured. All my facebook, twitter, linkedin, and plain old phone numbers gone, except for about 8 random ones! I need some help to get them back as at the moment I am at a loss.

Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Can you please share more info on this:

1. if you go to your contact, on top of the screen, it shows "Displaying xxx contacts". Could you please confirm that the number of your contacts is not reduced (well, if you know your old number)?

2. in contacts, if you tap on the menu -> Display options, you can choose whether you want to show contacts from one particular accounts. (like Corporate Account, facebook account).

3. Menu->More->Settings, you could change the default group where you want to save any changes into the specified account. I always use my gmail account to keep my contacts. So even I reset the phone/change to another phone, my contacts will be kept with my gmail account. Right after I sign in with my gmail account, I got all my contacts back.

4. If you also use your gmail or corporate email to keep your contact, please login to this account on the computer, check if you still have the contacts' phone number there. If you do, you can try to remove that account from your phone and re-add it back. That will force the contact to sync again from your gmail account.

Hope this will help.

hvs5
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 7

I started off with 365 phone contacts, plus whatever came from facebook, twitter and linkedin. I had moved all the contacts from my old phone, to my sim, then onto this new phone. Then I removed them from the sim card. Once I had just finished linking all of these contacts and sorting out the doubles I was going to back them up online and on my sim card etc. I only just got a gmail address since I'm not using Android and don't have any contacts in there.

When my contacts first disappeared I was left with about 8 which were an assortment of people who had recently been added to one of my accounts, i.e facebook and twitter. Now I have about 20 seemingly randomly selected contacts on my list of "all contacts".

I've had a look at the forums with this problem but I havn't been able to find a solution. I have removed some new apps I installed to see if they had effected it and I installed an anti-virus. Neither made a difference.

I have most of my contacts on my old phone still but I'd like to know how to fix the problem and if this sort of thing would happen again. I had only had the phone 3 days when it happened.

Thanks for helping.

Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Well, welcome to the Android World.

With Motoroa phones, you don't need to use the SIM card to save your contacts any more as there are a lot of limitations using SIM.

When you setup the accounts on your phone, it will automatically sync all your contacts from different sources like facebook, linkedin, gmail account, and they will all synced into your phone contacts. Of course, when you modify them, they will be synced back to clouds.

There is also a FAQ in the motorola portal to tell you how to import contacts from your SIM card as well.

hvs5
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, I did that. Eveything sync'ed well for about 3 days. Then I lost my contacts and can't find any back up anywhere and the problem is still not fixed. It would be good to know where this cloud of information surrounding my contacts is so I can get them all back.

Moto_Calvin
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

hvs5,

You can check what has been stored in the cloud by going to contacts.google.com and entering your Google username and password.