cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfh2001
What's DOS?
Views: 3,018
Message 11 of 913

Re: Droid Pro / Droid 2 Global owners: How is corporate sync working for you?

I'm glad to see that we are finally getting some responses to this problem.

If you spend just a few minutes reading on the DroidX, Droid 2, and now (apparently) the Droid Pro forums you'll find that corporate sync push functionality has issues on all of these devices, on nearly every version/configuration of exchange.

From my personal experience, I've used apple, blackberry, and MOTO products (Droid 1) in the past without any issues regarding exchange push functionality.  Users on the D2 forum seem to have narrowed the problem down to 2 possibilities (though I'm sure there are more):

1) A problem with the corporate sync client in general

2) When the phone locks/times out or goes to nighttime sleep mode, push 'connections' are lost and never reactivate.

Also, just throwing it out there, MOTOblur is a complete failure and drag on this device - and it's ruining the fantastic android experience I had on the D1.  I'm quickly nearing the point where I will never buy another MOTO product again if this is the way MOTO plans to implement android on its future devices. To advertise any of the current MOTO android phones as 'Enterprise Ready' should be illegal.

The solution is really pretty easy, since email 'just worked' on the Droid1 - drop the terrible proprietary MOTO builds and give enterprise users the option to install vanilla froyo on their devices.  Or...give all of us licenses to Touchdown for free - we shouldn't have to pay for a solution until MOTO gets its act together.

obeatty
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 913

I've confirmed my settings and I have "Data push" checked, I do NOT have "Sync over WiFi only" checked.  I'm runnning the "performance" battery setting and my company uses Exchange 2003 (v6.5), Build 7638.2: Service Pack 2.  My phone, Droid Pro, is running Andriod 2.2; version 2.26.2.XT610.Verizon.en.US

Mail is not "pushed", I have to open the mail app and then, and only then, will it begin to sync.  Once I leave the email app, I no longer get pushed email.

rfh2001
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 913

What system version is running on your Droid Pro (/Settings/About  phone)? 

2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US (note, I'm using a Droid 2)

Is the phone set for push (/Settings/Data Manager/Data  Delivery/Email and Corporate Synch/Email Delivery/Data push (confirm  checked)?

Yes

What version of Exchange (and SP) are you synching with?

Microsoft Exchange Server  2003 post-SP2            6.5.7654.4

If you are synching in the evening, if the battery mode is set to Nighttime saver it will affect push synching.

Push is broken on all battery modes

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 14 of 913

. What system version is running on your Droid Pro (/Settings/About phone)?

aren't we all on the initial released version?  I'm on version 2.26.2.xt610.verizon.en.us

Is the phone set for push (/Settings/Data Manager/Data Delivery/Email and Corporate Synch/Email Delivery/Data push (confirm checked)?

WHOOAAA- think i found something. I KNOW mine was checked- I literally checked it about 3 previous times looking for a setting that might be causing this- but i just looked now and it's unchecked. Also mine is intermittant having this issue so i pay attention throughout the day and I know earlier today push was working. (when i get a notification i check the clock on the notification bar against the time on the email to be sure it's within a minute or 2) Is there something someplace that might check and uncheck this for us? Of perhaps it's losing the setting somewhere at times?. I checked the box again  I'll keep an eye on this and report back if i find it unchecked again.

THIS MIGHT be caused by me changing from a pattern lock to an 8 character passward and back to a pattern lock.I tried that earlier today to see if it mattered- and it did not seem to make a difference- but the 8 character was annoying me too much to keep it around that long to try and troubleshoot. If you think it's relevant I'll suck it up and try that again for a long period.

(PS not to go too far off track here- but  if you want some feedback too- I noticed early on setting up the device- it's nutty all the various email settings that you have burried that deep in the settings tree- the android settings are a mess enough- you guys shouldn't be adding to it.. Maybe the email delivery bits below in data delivery but Read options? Compose options? I think a different top level setting section for email would be much more logical and easy to find. my 2 cents and now back to our program...)

What version of Exchange (and SP) are you synching with?

I'm on a hosted exchange account so i can't tell you SP- but i do know it's 2007. Is there a way to check from my device what version of 2007 it is?

If you are synching in the evening, if the battery mode is set to Nighttime saver it will affect push synching. 

I mostly notice it during the day as that's when i expect to get email. Sometimes I get mails and sometimes i dont. If I haven't got something recently i open the mail client. Sometimes it downloads a bunch of new stuff. Other times it is already caught up. Also as above whevver i get new email i like at the time compared to the time on the message- sometimes it's right there other times it's way off- sometimes maybe almost an hour. (my backup setting for fetch schedule is 15 minutes- so it's not even doing a check every 15 minutes when i have the issue)

Either myself or a team member will respond after we have the additional information requested.

some other info- that MIGHT be relevant. i have my security lock timer set to 15 minutes and use a visible pattern to unlock. I dont often get the 15 minutes unused during the day so that it locks. I try to pay attention if it's related to the device being locked- but I've only had it a few days so haven't been really about to figure it out. If you need to know this to troubleshoot i can pay more attention.

also my Droid 1, purchased first week it was out, was running fine on this server the till just now when i got the pro. (except for the mess you guys injected in the latest 2.2 firmware for the Droid with the errant errort that had to get cleared all the time).

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 15 of 913

rfh2001 wrote:

If you spend just a few minutes reading on the DroidX, Droid 2, and now (apparently) the Droid Pro forums you'll find that corporate sync push functionality has issues on all of these devices, on nearly every version/configuration of exchange.

if you are subbed to those threads can you please paste a pointer in them to tell the other device guys to post here so they see moto can see the whole issue and hopefully fix it quicker?

thanks,  Just a user myself.

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 16 of 913

rfh2001 wrote:

Also, just throwing it out there, MOTOblur is a complete failure and drag on this device - and it's ruining the fantastic android experience I had on the D1.  I'm quickly nearing the point where I will never buy another MOTO product again if this is the way MOTO plans to implement android on its future devices. To advertise any of the current MOTO android phones as 'Enterprise Ready' should be illegal.

The solution is really pretty easy, since email 'just worked' on the Droid1 - drop the terrible proprietary MOTO builds and give enterprise users the option to install vanilla froyo on their devices.  Or...give all of us licenses to Touchdown for free - we shouldn't have to pay for a solution until MOTO gets its act together.

actually even coming from the droid and being a guy who likes to fiddle- I'm liking the motoblrur-lite.  Just my 2 cents.

they seemed to hand out touchdown licenses like water for droid 1 owners - has any one asked if they will give freebies for this issue?

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 17 of 913

Michael-

please see this thread:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/34888?tstart=0

120 replies- 1200 views on the issue from the Droid 2 forums.

e-lu
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 913

Also these threads:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/37525

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/37566

You can read all about the problems.  I thought it was fixed on my Droid 2 after the recent OTA system upgrade (I'm running Version 2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US), but it's been back with a vengeance the last two days.  I missed at least 20 emails today while I was in meetings or out of the office.  Ironically, some of them were even from Motorola, which is a client.

The story that was being pushed by the board mods was that the failure to provide reliable push was related to screen timeouts.  They were saying that when the phone goes to black, some times the exchange connection is broke and you lose push.  Even after waking the phone up, you will not receive messages unless you manually check your inbox.   I had been having some success by just setting my screen timeout period to the maximum allowable time, and then manually turning my screen on/off as needed.

I echo the frustration of the other users.  This problem appears to be affecting thousands of users.  It seems disingenuous for Motorola to pretend like this is some sort of surprise to them at this point.  It also seems in poor taste to launch a major enterprise-focused device, the Droid Pro, when you are aware of these problems.  I don't know if Blur is the problem or not, but I do know that I have not heard of this problem with other Android based devices and so far it appears to afflict all Motorola Droids.  So it does seem to be a Motorola specific issue.

I'd love to think that Motorola is going to get to the bottom of this quickly, but it's been going on for months without a resolution, so I'm not optimistic.

michaelk wrote:

Michael-

please see this thread:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/34888?tstart=0

120 replies- 1200 views on the issue from the Droid 2 forums.

Highlighted
jongraytv
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 913

-Same version of Android as everyone else.

-Push is checked

-Battery mode set to performance.

Same issues as everyone else - Push is not working until I manually go into the email client and check. I do like Motoblur-lite but the push issues is such a major part of this device its a little worrying!

I am Syncing to Exchange 2003 (not sure of SP) . I will be switching to 2007 this weekend so I'm interested if that affects anything.

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 20 of 913

e-lu wrote:

The story that was being pushed by the board mods was that the failure to provide reliable push was related to screen timeouts.  They were saying that when the phone goes to black, some times the exchange connection is broke and you lose push.  Even after waking the phone up, you will not receive messages unless you manually check your inbox.   I had been having some success by just setting my screen timeout period to the maximum allowable time, and then manually turning my screen on/off as needed.

I don't know if Blur is the problem or not, but I do know that I have not heard of this problem with other Android based devices and so far it appears to afflict all Motorola Droids.  So it does seem to be a Motorola specific issue.

do you have an inactively lock after X minutes that does some sort of screen LOCK- like PIN, Pattern, or password?

I tried tonight to really pay attention and figure this out. At one point i got a notification about 35- 40 minutes after an email was delivered to my exchange box. I turned my phone on and it was locked with the inactively lock (i use a Pattern).

So my GUESS at that moment was that once the screen timesout, and the inactively lock kicks in then my fetch interval of 15 minutes kicks in. Thought it was the LOCK turning push off and forcing the connection to the Fetch interval.

I played with it a whole bunch more just now - and couldn't figure spit out- then realized my battery saver was in night mode so what I was doing means nothing- grumble grumble. Switched it to performance to get rid of that variable- and I'll fight it some more another time. To much effort now.

And I'm fairly CERTAIN it's something to do with motoblur-lite. The original Droid has no push issues. And it's vanilla android without any bluriness. So it's not Moto in general but rather blur that is common to all the push issues.

what IS WIDESPREAD MOTO- is an apparent inability to right proper code for exchange- they inflicted a major overt bug with exchange security with the 2.2 update to the droid. It was crazy wide spread and somehow they missed it in their testing. I dont know what they test with but it seems like they try these builds out on one exchange server and if it works there they assume all is well.

They just need to hire the guys who write touchdown, pay them whatever they want (there's like 2 guys maybe) and have them fix the motoblur exchange  client and be done with it. It might even be cheaper for them then buying all the touchdown licenses for the irrate people

I enjoy the integration and tweaks in motoblur but if the exchange client blows, none of that matters. (and actually the exchange client looks great and has a decent set of features- but functionally it's apparently a major issue from what I'm gathering.