cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
e-lu
What's DOS?
Views: 853
Message 91 of 913

Re: Droid Pro / Droid 2 Global owners: How is corporate sync working for you?

Leo -

I LOVE a lot of things about my D2.  Unfortunately, the exchange situation is completely unforgiveable and renders the phone totally unreliable for enterprise use.  My advice: immediately return the phone unopened and purchase a device from another manufacturer.  Sadly, until Motorola resolves these issues, enterprise customers should abandon them the same way they have abandoned us.

Prove me wrong, Motorola.  Please.

leobg wrote:

I am currently a Milestone owner, but I am getting Droid 2 Global to replace it hoping for a better experience. (the new phone is en route to me). This thread here scares me a bit as I am heavy Exchange user.

Looking at the thread here, everyone is experiencing those disconnects on Verizon's network. I believe CDMA technology does not allow for simultaneous data and voice communication, could that be a reason for problems with push, specifically the way BLUR handles the connection? Has anyone tried to leave phone on WIFI connection (and disable wifi sleep) and see if problem occurs in this case?

android101
What's DOS?
Message 92 of 913

I have been watching these logs on my phone, I've noticed now this error showing up

I/BlurEmailProvider(1322)Smiley FrustratedMTPEmailService: no accounts

configured, stopping the service

The log file I have is about 45mins worth of no email activity if anyone would like to see.

StLed
What's DOS?
Message 93 of 913

I got the Droid 2 Global (2.4.29.A956.Verizon.en.US) and am using Exchange 2003 with Active Sync in the office. I also use folder and subfolders... I moved from a blackberry where I could see all incoming emails all at once. Would v ery much like to have the same here. Tried Touchdown but can't justify buying something that should be there...

Ultimately I woudl like to see all emails from all monitored folders into one place, like the "Unversal Inbox"? shouldn't that be where all can be monitored?

On bberry I had all in one place, tests, emails (from 3 different accounts)

Ultimately I am now missing these features, and that's not even talking about the Push that is slower than my iPad... where in iOS4.2 i Can now monitor all folders in one place....

leobg
Fanfold Paper
Message 94 of 913

Thanks for the advice e-lu! 

Oh, I can feel how mad you are on Motorola. It is out of question that exchange is essential feature of every business phone. The reasone I chose the D2G to replace my current phone is it addresses one very important issue that my current Milestone has and unfortunately it cannot be fixed by software update. RAM. As I am fine with the rest of the features like form factor functionality/etc, adding the fact D2G sports a true IPSec vpn client (another essential business feature IMO), I decided the Droid 2 Global would be a good option to go with. Sorry for the off-topic content.

Now back on topic. I already own Nitrodesk TouchDown license, so I have something to back me up while Motorola is working on the issue. I am quite sure they are not ignoring these reports. I have faith in them it will be fixed. I am involved in a software development to a certain extent and I know how that works. Believe me it is not pretty and it is not that they "don't care" or they are abandoning us or something like that. Judging from what I've seen/heard about other cell phone manufacturers, Motorola is one of the ones that least abandons their customers. I won't cite names here..

I will be using the D2G primarily not on Verizon's network (outside US). I will report back as soon as I get it how is my exchange experience going.

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 95 of 913

leobg wrote:

Looking at the thread here, everyone is experiencing those disconnects on Verizon's network. I believe CDMA technology does not allow for simultaneous data and voice communication, could that be a reason for problems with push, specifically the way BLUR handles the connection? Has anyone tried to leave phone on WIFI connection (and disable wifi sleep) and see if problem occurs in this case?

good theory- and true that verizon's network can not do voice and data concurrently but it dies even when there's no voice call to disrupt the data connection. Also i've tried leaving it on wifi and it chokes on that too (although it's tough to say what happens there - because I'm under the impression that android pauses wifi to save battery when the screen goes blank).

can someone at their desk with wifi availible try the leaving it plugged in and on with a wifi connection and confirm that does or doesn't help. (i'm out at a customer's site so no wifi here for me...)

leobg
Fanfold Paper
Message 96 of 913

Michael, could you try to install an app that can prevent wifi from sleeping - like "WIFI Lock" by Michael Elsdorfer and try again?

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 97 of 913

i think there MIGHT be onto something here.

willdogs wrote:

I just noticed something interesting. I didn't get any push email to my

phone until I opened google navigation and navigated to a local business.

Once I started navigating my email started coming in and kept coming in as

long as I used navi.

It got me thinking that maybe once I launch an app which uses 3G data,

perhaps email wakes up and starts to push again.

Later in the day, after it was about 3 hours since my last email, I decided

to launch pandora and listen to music. Sure enough email started coming in

as soon as the first song played.

Anyone else want to test this theory as well?

Perhaps these apps "wake up" the dormant 3G connection and mail starts to

flow?

k2rm wrote:

Willdog, after 2 hours of no email push from exchange, a email push from Gmail jump started my corporate sync.  It has been over two hours since that gmail message and corporate sync push is still working.  You could be right.

I few days ago- I tried to use chrome to phone to force the phone to wakeup and receive push. That didn't seem to work. (it might have been at the time that i had the battery saver set to the nighttime setting and it was at the end of the day i was fighting with it.)-

Just now my push was stuck- checked my laptop and there were 4 messages in my inbox but nothing pushed to my phone.

So I went to another account i had and sent a message to my gmail. A few second later the 4 exchange messages popped up on my phone followed by the gmail message.

next time it gets stuck again I'll try a gmail again and see if this is repeatable.

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 98 of 913

leobg wrote:

Michael, could you try to install an app that can prevent wifi from sleeping - like "WIFI Lock" by Michael Elsdorfer and try again?

I think we're onto something here with gmail forcing push back on line. I want to beat on that some more. After that I'll try to fiddle with WIFI lock and see where it goes. What I didn't mention is I'm pretty sure there have been times when I tried to use the browser to wake it up (I've tried so many things to try and isolate it that it's all a blur- laughing)- and that seemed to have no effect. So that wont wake it. I might be jumping ahead but it seems like whatever kills it off doesn't work in the oposite- it seems once it dies that you can't just reverse what killed it but rather have to kick start it somehow. But since I can't isolate anything - i can't say for certain.

I sure hope moto is trying to figure this out as much as we are... Seems to me that they should have a lot easier time finding the problem then us all wandering in the dark.... 

Administrator
Administrator
Message 99 of 913

android101 wrote:

I have been watching these logs on my phone, I've noticed now this error showing up

I/BlurEmailProvider(1322):SMTPEmailService: no accounts

configured, stopping the service

The log file I have is about 45mins worth of no email activity if anyone would like to see.

I think this is a good idea. We would like log files from phones with this issue. You can download aLogcat free from the market to generate logs. Please email them to me at supportforums@motorola.com and put "Exchange push" in the subject line (or something equally easy to understand). Many thanks.

Also very interested in these various ideas for workarounds -- ways to keep push working. Not only will it help everyone use the phones more effectively, but they help us confirm or eliminate areas of investigation.

We are really diving into this and I do expect to have some news soon -- but not before the Thanksgiving break. Probably be early next week before there's anything concrete to report. I wish things were different!

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
willdogs
What's DOS?
Message 100 of 913

Matt

Using alogcat I sent you two logs to supportforums@motorola.com

Thanks