cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjgleas
What's DOS?
Views: 1,004
Message 21 of 913

Re: Droid Pro / Droid 2 Global owners: How is corporate sync working for you?

I have to start by saying I am generally unimpressed with the functionality of these devices thus far.  Only having limited exposure to the Droid-X and now Droid - Pro, I cannot speak to whether it is the operating system, embedded software on the device, or some failure in the push / active sync services, but I can tell you that it is not a viable solution for an Enterprise class business looking for venture into the realm of “Non-RIM” devices.

As a senior level IT analyst for my company, I’ve been directed by the highest levels of management to evaluate several of the Android O/S based phones for possible integration at an executive level.  Of course,  all of these folks have children at home who have Droid phones and as such they see how “cool” they are and feel that we need to have them in our company as well.

The phone boats many impressive features, both on the software side and hardware side as well.  I can log into a citrix farm and perform administrative functions from the phone, I can use the VPN client to connect directly into our intranet environment to interface with our Sharepoint systems, I can create a 3G hotspot in a conference room and everyone is duly impressed, but I cannot reliably send and receive email, and this changes the phone from being a business tool into a toy.

For phone to boast being “Business Ready” it must, must, MUST be able to integrate seamless into a business environment, namely Exchange.  To see all of these users on here having had this problem, seeming from the onset, it makes me wonder what type of testing is actually going on inside your labs.  As many have stated, it seems to run vendor supported mail with ease, but Enterprise mail does not function acceptably, even remotely so.

I have tested both the Droid-X and Droid-Pro and they both fail to reliably sync against my Exchange 2007 environment.  As many have stated, the device works great when as long as you keep the mail client open, and the phone connected to power..but so does my desktop computer.

I have had, once again, download the Touchdown application in order to insure that I am actively receiving my mail on the device, but this is not an acceptable solution to this problem.  I cannot honestly justify the purchase and integration of a “business class device” that requires the download of a 3rd party application in order to sync mail.

A month ago when I first received the Droid-X for evaluation I had very high hopes that this type of device would allow us to eventually move away from our BES/BB environment, but thus far I can honestly say that I would never hand one of these devices to the CEO of the company and tell him he’ll be able to conduct business.

You cannot ever hope to seriously engage in a battle for RIM market share with a device that cannot even reliably sync mail out of the box.  I sincerely hope that you resolve this issue, and that this resolution comes quickly.

---

Device: Droid-Pro

Carrier:  Verizon Wireless

Level of Service:  Global Enterprise Data

Environment:  Exchange 2007 v.08.02.0254.000 on Windows Server 2008 R2

tmj0812
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 913

What system version is running on your Droid Pro (/Settings/About  phone)? 

Version.2.4.29.A956.Verizon.en.US (DROID 2 GLOBAL)

Is  the phone set for push (/Settings/Data Manager/Data  Delivery/Email and  Corporate Synch/Email Delivery/Data push (confirm  checked)?

Yes, all data modes/options are checked, "Push" is checked.

What version of Exchange (and SP) are you synching with?

Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

If you are synching in the evening, if the battery mode is set to Nighttime saver it will affect push synching.

Push is broken on all battery modes.

Other considerations:

I Purchased Road Sync software to enable push functionality.  Tried to use Corporate Sync for over a week before resorting to this option.

While I'm impressed with the phone, I am very disappointed that this functionality is not reliable.  Switching from a Windows phone, this was the one feature that I took for granted.  I am having a hard time even considering recommending this phone to any of my friends or colleagues, especially considering that this functionality is incredibly robust on the iPhone/iPad, as well as Windows phones and other Android-based devices.

Thanks for your time, really looking forward to seeing a solution to this issue.

Gdwheel
Punch Card
Message 23 of 913

Same issues -- sometimes push works, sometimes it does not.  Currently have Droid Pro (had same problems with X and Droid 2); release software; Exchange 2007; battery mode set to performance; push selected.  I have had the Samsung Galaxy S phones and the a couple of HTC android devices and they have no problem with push, whatsoever.  Email arrives immediately on them.  Please fix this asap!!  The Droid Pro is otherwise a great device.

Moto_Michael
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 913

Please note that my team has tested all versions of the Motorola Droid phones and proven they all work with great success (including push) on all versions of Exchange, except for the original Droid with Exchange 2010 SP1 (a fix is coming from Google, no ETA at this time).  My team has been deployed to assist with the configuration complexities of Exchange and network components in an Enterprise environment.  Common issues that my team has found in the enterprise are security configurations per a customer's IT policy preventing the synchronization of non-provisionable devices, and issues with the configuration of the Droid phones.  We have found that each enterprise customer may have their own configuration challenges and my team is here to help get the Droid phones working in their environment.  My team is happy to assist and a ticket can be opened from the enterprise support portal (https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp.com/app) for assistance.  My team is looking forward to working with you that you may get all of the benefits of using the Droid phones in your enterprise environment.  Thank you.

P.S. Please note the Enterprise Support team is in process of creating FAQ and white papers to help provide quick answers to common issues in an enterprise environment.

jongraytv
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 913

While I do appreciate the response, this is a joke.

I think it has become obvious by now that the push issue with exchange email is pretty wide spread and not limited to the Droid Pro. As mentioned several times by users this is not what was expected by a device squarely aimed at the enterprise market. Please listen to your customers and trust us that this is not working correctly.

We are all willing to work with you to solve this (it is in our interest), but by pretending that there is no issue and its either our settings or the exchange policies is not ok. Many people who are early adopters of this phone are well versed in Exchange policies and have trouble shot their end of the equation. We expect the same from Motorola. Please address this promptly before Motorola's first foray into the enterprise market ends in disaster.

PS. Don't forget that HTC, Samsung, Apple have no issues with exchange, its a Moto thing... sorry!

Gdwheel
Punch Card
Message 26 of 913

We do not have any unusual security or other settings with our Exchange server that are causing these problems.  I have tried numerous phones from all of the operating systems and the Motos are the only ones that have this problem.  It is also hit and miss with the Motos.  It will work fine for me much of the time, but then there will be a period where no emails will push for an hour or more (unitl I open the email folder).  It happened yesterday.  It was working fine and then I missed several emails that came in, and should have been pushed, over a two hour period.  I restarted the phone and it worked okay again.  It is as if it goes to sleep sometimes.

obeatty
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 913

Well, I swapped the Pro for the Droid X yesterday (due to tiny keyboard and screen size) and exchange works with the same effectiveness...NONE.  In fact, I disabled "push" and set fetch to 15 minutes.  I did this 30 minutes ago, I've received 12 emails on Outlook and my phone still has not synced.  So Push doesn't work and Fetch doesn't work...this is consistent with the Pro last week and now the X...both running Blur over 2.2.  So basically, I'm having to manually sync my corporate email...

A co-worker's HTC Incredible pushes just fine.  The iPhone I just disconnected to come to Verizon pushed just fine.  Both phones syncing with the same exact Exchange server/version, same securtiy settings, etc.  

eggman211
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 913

System Version:  2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Set for Push:  Yes
Exchange 2007 SP3.  However, same problem existed on SP2 before our recent upgrade to SP3
Battery:  Performance Mode

D1 working fine.  Often receiving mail before Outlook.

D2 if I cold boot while plugged in, it seems to receive mail somewhat consistently with my D1.  Once removed from the charger, mail eventually stops flowing.  Multiple D2 users experience this same issue.

Several Windows Mobile Devices syncing fine as well, Samsung i760, HTC Touch Pro2, HTC Imagio.

rfh2001
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 913

Seriously?  This is the official response?  "It's your fault, not ours"

Give me a break - I have sync'd to our exchange servers on an ipod touch, iphone, ipad, MOTO Droid1, BB Storm and I've never encountered any issues whatsoever.

The difference here is your broken corporate sync application.  The problems are present across all devices using the current MOTOblur android builds.

Your response is incredibly insulting to all of us here who know that this problem is not with our exchange configurations.  I had a D1 that sync'd flawlessly, and the only difference between a D1 and a D2 is the proprietary android OS and email client.  I will think twice about buying MOTO again if this is how you're going to treat this issue.

jjgleas
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 913

I frankly find the tenor of your response to be bit off putting.  To insinuate that your group has tested and found that it works perfectly, thus the issue must be user error is, comical if not insulting.  I would say to you, if all of this was configuration error in the realm of security, whether it be non-direct hub-transport via EDGE security policy or some other type of misconfiguration on the server side, it is likely the device would not connect and sync at all.  Exchange is not a fickle environment, it works, or it does not.  Your device, on the other hand, does appear to be temperamental, and this quality, in a piece of technology, usually indicates a programming issue.

I would ask you to please clarify your position that the issue must be server related when I can change the client software on the phone (Corp Sync to Touchdown) and have a different outcome.  Both connect, but authenticate, but download mail initially, both push initially, but only the 3rd party app continues to function with extended usage.