Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
emmerdaleaddict
What's DOS?
Views: 277
Message 1 of 4

Turning off Wi-Fi / Internet browsing

I have recently bought a Motorola Flipout unlocked. I am with a UK network on Pay As You Go. The proble I have is I'm a complete rookie when it comes to technology. Basically I have a wifi network at home, but when out and about my phone has been automatically connecting to 'the internet' when I'm surfing the web etc, looking at the news and social networks. This has meant that I'm using a lot of money in topping up my credit. I have been reading the forum and I've now changed my Wifi sleep policy to never, enabled a data saver, disabled background data, and ensured data roaming was off, and 'synced over wifi only'. I just would like some advice really as all I want is to keep up to date with emails etc when I actively want to see if I have any rather than the phone constantly updating and charging me. Have I done everything to ensure that the phone isn't eating up my money when I'm asleep for example!?

Thanks,

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 4

Re: Turning off Wi-Fi / Internet browsing

You have done most all you can. You can also get some apps that monitor your data usage.

Also, do you have email sync set to manual - if you are using POP email? If you are out and about and no wifi is present, then cellular data will kick in.

The only other thing is widgets... some update when you go into them for more details - they are no longer background.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
emmerdaleaddict
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Thankyou for your prompt response. Will follow the advice given!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 4

Good luck. Some of the data monitoring apps can even tell you which apps are using data - so it should help you narrow things down if you have phantom data usage.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum