Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveFLIPOUT™ with MOTOBLUR™ (Non-U.S.)
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

08-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 21

Questions about battery

2010-10-03, 20:37 PM

Hi,

I know that in general androids do not have great battery life. However, I'd like to understand some things (since my phone now has a hard time keeping its charge for a day, even though I haven't really changed my use habits):

1. Whenever I go to the "battery use" page, What takes most of the power is "cell standby", usually followed by "phone idle". I have another motorola phone, non android, that is on "cell standby" exactly in the same place (i.e. same signal strength), and yet keeps its charge for weeks. Shouldn't "cell standby" take the same energy in both phones?

2. My phone charges really quickly. It can go from almost empty to full (green led goes out) in half an hour to an hour. That is really nice. At least I don't have to wait long for it to charge up. But is that normal? The other option is that it isn't really charging much, which is why it is so quick.

3. The original charger I got with the phone can give 850 mA. I have another charger that I use with my iPod, that can give 1A. (Both use the USB connection). As I understand it, there is no problem using the Flipout with the second charger. Is that right?

Options

26 Posts

08-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 21

Re: Questions about battery

2010-10-03, 21:39 PM

Just a small update. I think my phone really charges too fast. I don't think it should be possible to charge with a current of 850mA a battery of 1170 mAh in less than an hour (well, the 1170mAh is probably at 3.7V, and 850mA is at 5V, I think), but still...

I also read this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/104032-very-simple-way-improve-battery-life.html

Which claims that slow charging is more effective. I'll try that, and report back.

Options

4 Posts

10-02-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 21

2010-10-05, 11:52 AM

Have you noticed a difference when charing your phone while it is turned on vs when it is turned off? Motorola recommends using the AC adapter:

https://motorola-global-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51368/kw/flipout

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 4 of 21

2010-10-05, 20:01 PM

The USB port on your computer supplies 5V and up to 500mA - so it chargers slower then the AC adaptor but I would not say it is not charging slowly. As for other AC Chargers - moto only recommends their own products, and the phones gerally limit what they pull anyway - so even if you hooked up a 20A charger - the phone will only draw so much current. Just like your house wiring - wire can carry up to 15 or 20 amps before the breaker throws, but lights and other gadgets only draw so much current.

You do seem to be charging too fast. One trick is to try to calibrate the phone in regards to the battery. Run the battery all the way down until the phone won't turn on - play videos on full brightness is one way. Then do a full charge and  see if that changes things.

As for comparing it to another phone - is that other phone 3G? Does the other phone have an active data connection? does it have the same size screen and battery? Are their widgets and applications running that are pulling data all the time? Email?, GPS, Wifi?

I would expect a smartphone that sits on the counter without using data would last up to week in standby - maybe longer. But not many people use a smartphone without data or let it sit without playing with something on the screen.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

26 Posts

08-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2010-10-06, 12:09 PM

Charging off the computer didn't seem to help. I ususally charge with the phone on, because even if I turn it off, it turns itself back on when connected to a charger.

I tried now running the battery all the way down, and then charged it with the original motorola charger. It took exactly 45 minutes to reach 100% charge. So it seems even at 100% efficiency in charging, and drawing the full 850 mA at 5V, I charged only 860 mAh at 3.7V.... maybe I'll try a couple more calibration cycles, but I suspect that my battery is sick. (And these callibration cycles will probably make it sicker.) Sad, it didn't really last long.

Of course the phone that lasts two weeks does less than mine, and is not 3G (though I saw a talk by some top android engineer that 3G uses LESS battery). All I was refering to was that my Flipout reports that it uses most of its battery on "Cell standby". And it seems to me that cell standby should be the same on all phones. This is probably just a problem with what is reported under the label "cell standby"...

Options

1 Posts

10-08-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 21

2010-10-08, 17:25 PM

Hi

Regarding your point #1 - I am also experiencing much lower battery life than I expected. I fully charge, take the phone off the charger at 8:00 am and then it needs a charge by noon. This is with some use during that period but not a huge amount. I am searching around looking for tips and tricks to save the battery - I have changed my battery mode to battery saver mode for example - but I still have terrible battery life.

Any hints/tricks/update suggestions are welcome. I will try draining the battery and recharging.

Thanks!

Options

26 Posts

08-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 21

2010-10-08, 20:17 PM

It turns out part of my problem was a wrong setting -  in Mobile network settings I had selected 3G only, which uses a lot of battery, especially when there isn't a strong 3G signal. With 2G only my phone lasts again over a day... But this did not solve the hardware problem with my battery - obviously my phone manages to charge the battery too fast.

It seems that the battry life on the Flipout (and I think also other android phones) depends a lot on the signal strength. If you are often in areas of low signal, the battery lasts much shorter. This comes back to my original question - why is that? With a regular cellphone, with the same signal strength, the battery lasts weeks. The fact that the signal strength affects battery life so much hints again that indeed "cell standby" uses up a lot of power, especially when the signal is weak. But why? Why does a low signal use so much more power on the Flipout/other androids than on, say, my old windows mobile phone?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 8 of 21

2010-10-09, 11:57 AM

Do you have any data sync tasks running in the background? Email, Twitter, facebook, gmail etc.? Any widgets that update data - weather? Did your carrier customize at all - any carrier address book backup running?

My phone behaves similarly to my older winmo phone, but all phones are different and it is possible that the Flipout uses more juice to pull in a weaker signal.

All phones have a signal strenth dependency. I had a Nokia candy bar phone (not a smartphone) that go from full to dead in under 8 hours sitting on my desk with no usage - it was the signal strength in the building. I had "bars" but it was still a poor signal and it sucked battery down. Same with my winmo Q9M at a different location. At home on the weekends the phones would last days.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

26 Posts

08-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2010-10-11, 21:04 PM

I only have gmail running, and my phone therefore also syncs cal and contacts to google. (Though my windows mobile phone did that, too).

But again I'm not trying to argue that battery life of the android should be like win mobile or other  non-smart phones. I just find it strange that after having a strong processor, and doing zillions of background tasks and other stuff, then thing that the android ends up using most its battery on is "Cell Standby", which is the thing that all  phones need to do.

Anyway, I have a vague suspicion that the Flipout also suffers from some version of the "50% time without signal" bug (though my time without signal is not 50% - it is usually 0%), but what I think I see is that if I turn flight mode on, and back off after a minute or so, my battery seems to last longer. I still have to do more trials.

Try it too - turn flight mode on, and back off, and see if battery life improves. What it could be is that when the phone is turned on, the cell network is somehow not properly initialized, and it is properly initialized when turning fight mode on and off.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 10 of 21

2010-10-12, 11:31 AM

I understand your frustration and I know you are not trying to argue.... I am just offering some suggestions. I usually charge my phone about every 24 hours with casual use - this is when it is at about 50%. I sync Google and Exchange.

It is hard to compare one phone to another if the other phone is not 3G and a smartphone. Also, the Flipout has an 1170 mAh battery, which is smaller then other android phones. All the Android phones I have used do the same or better then my past winMo phones (Moto Q and Q9M).

If, after testing, you are still getting terrible battery life, you may want to see if your carrier will exchange it. Occasionally there are bad phones out there.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms