Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FlipsideJewel
What's DOS?
Views: 407
Message 1 of 5

Flipside and PC aren't seeing each other

I just got my very first smartphone, a used Flipside.  I got it unlocked, since my current cell phone provider is TMobile and I still have almost a year's time on my SIM card.  I had a few problems, at first, but now all but one is solved.  My computer and Flipside won't recognize each other!  I did see the other thread about this issue and did everything that was suggested, there.  I've reset my phone to factory settings, have my SIM card properly installed and the phone recognizes my provider and I can phone in and out.  I have my micro SD card properly installed and formatted.  I have installed and uninstalled the Motohelper 2.1.32 driver 5.4.0 and restarted my computer.  I also unchecked USB debugging on the phone.  I'm not getting any indication that my Flipside is actually connected to my computer.  I also hooked up to a known, good USB port at the back of my desktop PC and my ports are 2.0.  I'm running Windows XP Pro and have a 3.40 MHZ processor and about 2.5 GB of RAM.

I'm thinking either part of the phone is bad or the connecting cable is bad.  I do notice that the little light by the port on the phone will light up when I plug in for charging.  It doesn't light up, though, when I plug in the regular cable to hook to my computer. Is the light supposed to be green when the phone is hooked up to a computer using the regular cord?  I'm also wondering if my problem has to do with the phone being unlocked and used by something other than ATT, but that seems unlikely.

I'm hoping someone here has some suggestions. If the cable is bad, then I can get a new one.  If it's probably the phone that is bad, then I'll be contacting the Ebay seller who advertised the thing as working.  I bought the Flipside so I could have my pictures, music, camera, and phone all in one package. 

Thanks in advance; this is my first post, here.  The moderators, Mark and Matt, have worked hard to get rid of a bug that wouldn't let me post.  Thanks, guys!

FlipsideJewel

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: Flipside and PC aren't seeing each other

When you plug into your PC, do you see the usb symbol in the notification bar?

Thanks,
J
FlipsideJewel
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

No.  I don't see any indication on my phone that it's plugged into the computer, and I don't get the computer saying it's found new hardware and wants to install the driver.  I purposely didn't reinstall the motohelper drivers because I wanted the PC to ask for the driver.

FlipsideJewel
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5

As I suspected, the cable sent with my Flipside was bad.  I ended up going to the store of my phone service provider and they checked out the cable.  Whether I have a charging cable or a data cable properly connected between the Flipside and my PC, that light beside the phone's mini USB port is supposed to be glowing green.  Phone now works just fine with my PC and I've been happily adding music and photos.  Still have to see whether the phone is running Eclair or Froyo and to update, if needed. 

I'm really liking my Flipside, think it will be a wonderful first smartphone for me.  The technicial at the store was really nice and said it's okay to take "baby steps" on learning about new technology. Smile 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 5

Very nice. I'm glad that it worked out for you. Any other questions please feel free top ask.

Thanks,
J