cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texasfarmboy
What's DOS?
Views: 304
Message 1 of 5

Flipside updates to 2.2 -- What are your opinions?

I don’t know about y’all, but I’d have to give my update from Android 2.1.1 to Android 2.2.2 a mixed review, with a side note. Frozen Yogurt (Froyo) is faster and slicker than Éclair – that part is real nice! And, of course, it supports running apps from the SD card – that part is good… with the potential to be outstanding!

The problem I have is that the at&t distro of 2.2 is a much larger hog of resident memory than was the 2.1 version. After updating my Flipside to 2.2, I was unable to install all of the apps that I had on it before – even though I was able to move 23 of them to my SD card! Of course, I do have that memory hogging Flash Player 10.1 now…..

There is no reason that almost every app except widgets cannot be made to be moved to the SD card. Even apps that have widget interfaces should be made movable. For example, PowerAMP allows itself to be moved to the SD card, and then one can download a relatively tiny (memory wise) widget that resides on the phone memory and integrates seamlessly with the program.

So here is my side note:

Android 2.2 “Frozen Yogurt” really is a worthwhile update for a Motorola Flipside. But now we really need for the software developers to get on the ball and make their releases SD resident compatible!! And the #1 company to do that needs to be Adobe, so we can free up that 11MB by moving Flash Player. Then Google itself, moving Maps would free up another 11MB. Of course, if at&t would just let us move all of their useless crap to the SD card, then the rest wouldn’t matter. Probably wouldn’t be wise to hold one’s breath waiting for that to happen… Meanwhile, does anyone know of an alternate Flash Player that can be run from the SD card?

tfb

BTW: Thanks Motorola, for giving us this update to start with ;-)

jjmcclos
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 5

Re: Flipside updates to 2.2 -- What are your opinions?

I haven't posted much in the last couple of months following the upgrade, and I'm afraid that for my use I need to mostly disagree with this having been an improvement of any sort.  The only benefit that I was expecting to really need was the ability to move apps out of internal memory, and as you mentioned in your post there is a lot more that can NOT be moved being bundled.  So, I effectively have far less space and fewer apps.

Secondly, my main uses outside of the phone itself are as a music player and occasional game device...and since the upgrade, this has become seriously annoying as it now stops playing music for brief periods despite my trying most recommended actions.  Unfortunately, the two things which I think would help it most (freeing up space, and stopping Vlingo from starting) appear to both be unavailable to me without uninstalling the few apps that I presently have.  And I have even (Horror of Horrors!) had to uninstall "Angry Birds" since there was just not enough space available to run even the free version without negative impact.  So I now have "Mine Sweeper" as my...uhhemm....time waster.  Not quite as much fun...

Frankly, at this time, I would happily revert to Eclair.  Froyo has not really improved either my battery life or experience - the ONLY improvement that I have seen has been that when I delete large quantities of emails, it does so much faster.  That's it.  The only positive that I've actually noticed.

<Sigh>....

grayson37
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

I hate the update!!! I cannot even use the apps now either! I have Scrabble Free on the phone and it constantly says low storage. There is much useless junk on here that cannot be removed or moved to the SD card that I may as well just have a plain phone. AT&T customer support sucks on this phone as well. I am currently on my third replacement and am seeing no way out of this phone other than purchasing one at full price!!!! Wake up Motorolla -- keep your customers happy otherwise I am moving on.............

texasfarmboy
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5

My experiences were very much the same as y'all's -- except for the AT&T customer support... I just don't even go there.. .  The only cure, I'm afraid, is to install Link2SD, to move the "unmovable apps" to SD memory; and Titanium Backup, to freeze or backup any apps before removing them.

Unfortunately, I cannot say any more about these programs, as I would get into a discussion that would be contrary to the rules of this forum. As I have stated before, I respect the rules of this, or any other, forum I participate in. But I will say that now my phone runs great, my music player runs great, my web browser works great, etc., etc., mostly because I have <40 MB of free Internal Memory (and I have 58 user apps installed ).

IMIO (in my irrelevant opinion), the Flipside is potentially a good device -- I think Motorola did their part well. The problems come from AT&T's side of the partnership -- and I don't have to tell y'all what those problems are -- you experience them every day. I understand why Motorola doesn't want us to discuss what needs to be done to make their phone run up to its potential -- they don't want to anger one of their biggest clients... BUT, we are always free to use Google

moira1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

Hey everyone,

I want to let you know that I spoke to Motorola today and they said they would take the phone back and delete all the software I dont want.  I will report back when I get the phone back.