cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
mary41
What's DOS?
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
Views: 426
Message 1 of 48

Transfering apps to SD memory

Is there an app that'll transfer apps to your SD card, or some other way to move some apps off of the internal memory. I installed a few apps, three to be exact, the next day I had a warning of low memory in the internal memory storage.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,645
Registered: ‎06-18-2010
Location: US
Views: 426
Message 2 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

Sorry to let you know, but that feature is only in android 2.2 and higher.

If you only have 3 apps installed and your getting low memory warnings, its probably your cache, or if you have alot of text messages, or email on the phone, both of those will eat up your memory.

As for clearing your cache, goto settings, applications, manage applications. When there hit the menu button (four little squares above home button) and select all. There you will be able to see what is using up your memory, and you will be able to clear the cache for each program, or app.

Thanks,

J

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

mary41
What's DOS?
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
Views: 426
Message 3 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

So no app or update that you heard of maybe that will work?

Thanks for the help

Mary4

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,645
Registered: ‎06-18-2010
Location: US
Views: 426
Message 4 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

mary4 wrote:

So no app or update that you heard of maybe that will work?

Thanks for the help

Mary4

Nope, sorry.  Android 2.2 and higher support apps to SD.  Did you take a look at you cache, and text, and emails, that might be on the phone?

Thanks,

J

mary41
What's DOS?
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
Views: 426
Message 5 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

Yes but if I have to constantly search for apps and emails to flush cache

that makes this phone more laboring than useful. So no OS update?

Thanks J

Mary4

On Dec 20, 2010 3:26 PM, "mullins_j" <

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,645
Registered: ‎06-18-2010
Location: US
Views: 426
Message 6 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

mary4 wrote:

Yes but if I have to constantly search for apps and emails to flush cache

that makes this phone more laboring than useful. So no OS update?

Thanks J

Mary4

On Dec 20, 2010 3:26 PM, "mullins_j" <

It really isn't that bad.  I'm looking at mine right now, and if you go into settings-> SD card & phone storage. I have 64.7 MB free of internal storage.  And mine flipside runs great.  I try an clear my email as I read them as to not get to over loaded.  As for text messages, I tend to delete the ones I don't want at the end of the day.  And I save the ones that I do want to keep, with a 3rd party app (SMS backup, I think)  I think most phones are going to be the same way.  Even if you had gotten a Droid X, which has I think 8GB internal memory, you will eventually get to a point where you'll have to start doing some house cleaning, it just may take longer to get to that point.

As of today, there is no updates listed for the Flipside here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Have you looked into the Task Manager?  I think that is a great tool, and it's preloaded from Moto on the Flipside.

Check out this Doc for more info on the Moto Task Manager: https://supportforums.motorola.com/docs/DOC-1301

Thanks,

J

marvin02
Bit Torrent
Posts: 2,632
Registered: ‎03-08-2010
Location: United States
Views: 426
Message 7 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

My Flipside runs fine with less than 30 MB of free internal memory.

If you are having a problem with internal storage filling up with only three apps installed then it is probably one of the apps causing the issue or you are storinga LOT of texts/emails on the phone.

I do not use any of the Motoblur social networking services.

----
I am a volunteer. The MotoXprt tag means I spend too much time here. I own a Backflip and a Flipside. If my advice doesn't make any sense - ignore it! The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. Here's More

Introduced to Android by the Moto Backflip
squ1rr3l
What's DOS?
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎01-21-2011
Location: United States
Views: 426
Message 8 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

I agree with the OP that this is a really bad situation.  I have had my flipside only about 3 weeks, and it ran out of space this morning.  The "low space" warning showed up about 3 in the morning and by 6 am it was full.

"Contacts New Storage" takes up over 31 MB, and there is no way to store even this data on the SD card.  I deleted the few minor apps I had installed (task killer, Handsent SMS, K9 mail), which gave me enough space to keep running.  But now it looks like I'll have to keep a close eye on space.  The next largest storage is for "Maps" (about 9MB), and the only option there is to uninstall updates.  There are a bunch of other smaller apps that I am not allowed to remove, even though I don't need them.

Somebody needs to get on the ball and get us an update to 2.2 or some way to move storage (at a minimum, the contacts storage) to the SD card or somewhere.  It's obvious that the storage and/or storage options on this phone are inadequate for the functionality.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,645
Registered: ‎06-18-2010
Location: US
Views: 426
Message 9 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

squ1rr3l wrote:

I agree with the OP that this is a really bad situation.  I have had my flipside only about 3 weeks, and it ran out of space this morning.  The "low space" warning showed up about 3 in the morning and by 6 am it was full.

"Contacts New Storage" takes up over 31 MB, and there is no way to store even this data on the SD card.  I deleted the few minor apps I had installed (task killer, Handsent SMS, K9 mail), which gave me enough space to keep running.  But now it looks like I'll have to keep a close eye on space.  The next largest storage is for "Maps" (about 9MB), and the only option there is to uninstall updates.  There are a bunch of other smaller apps that I am not allowed to remove, even though I don't need them.

Somebody needs to get on the ball and get us an update to 2.2 or some way to move storage (at a minimum, the contacts storage) to the SD card or somewhere.  It's obvious that the storage and/or storage options on this phone are inadequate for the functionality.

How many contacts do you have?  31MB?  That seems like a lot.  What do you have for social networks, and do you have them all synced?

Thanks,

J

squ1rr3l
What's DOS?
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎01-21-2011
Location: United States
Views: 426
Message 10 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

How am I supposed to tell how many contacts I have?  I don't see any way to do that without manually counting the whole list.  My SIM chip had about 60-70 or so numbers, and I added my GMail account and Facebook.  Yea, I have over 900 friends on Facebook.  They get sucked in, and I'm not allowed to delete them - I'm told to go de-friend them if I want them off my contacts list (I've pruned my friends list quite a bit today - didn't make much difference in the contacts storage).

If that's the way the phone book is going to work, it's a defect.  They shouldn't make it work that way and then require the (extremely limited) internal storage as the only way to store them.