Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 415
Message 11 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

squ1rr3l wrote:

How am I supposed to tell how many contacts I have?  I don't see any way to do that without manually counting the whole list.  My SIM chip had about 60-70 or so numbers, and I added my GMail account and Facebook.  Yea, I have over 900 friends on Facebook.  They get sucked in, and I'm not allowed to delete them - I'm told to go de-friend them if I want them off my contacts list (I've pruned my friends list quite a bit today - didn't make much difference in the contacts storage).

If that's the way the phone book is going to work, it's a defect.  They shouldn't make it work that way and then require the (extremely limited) internal storage as the only way to store them.

I understand your frustration.  I have not tried this, but I think if you use the facebook app from the market, and not add your facebook account to your phone itself.  That should clear up your contacts.  Which will free up some space. 

Also, if you haven't done a factory reset, that is a good way to clean up your phone, and try and set it up different.

My contact storage is sitting around 1.15MB and I have 75-100 contacts. 

I would recommend doing a reset, then setting up your facebook through the app on the market, and not add your facebook account to your phone.

See how that works for you.

Thanks,

J

squ1rr3l
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 48

I would recommend doing a reset, then setting up your facebook through the app on the market, and not add your facebook account to your phone.

I really don't want to do that, because it would trash my contact links.  I don't even have the facebook app loaded at all - I don't use it that much.  Besides, any emails I get from facebook display nicely in Dolphin HD, without all the extra steps going through the other app.

If I get rid of the facebook account in MotoBlur, then I lose the updates banner, my contacts aren't linked (I would have to manually add images for the ones I want), I can't do a global status update using the status update widget (should have mentioned I use twitter, too). 

Yea, I'm sure at that point my contact list would be smaller - and a lot less useful.  I don't want to lose a bunch of features just because I'm locked out of using storage.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 13 of 48

Ok, i understand where you are coming from. So iguess disregard my last suggestion. I noticed that a lot of my contacts had many links to them. I actually got borded one day and went through all my contacts and unlinked the info that was redundent, or usless and deleted it. It seemed to clean my up good. I know this would be a lot harder for you to do, as you have a lot more contacts then i. I still would say possibly doing a factory reset would clean up some stuff. But i understand that linking that many contacts would be a long and tough process. I really wish i had better advice for you.

Sorry,

J

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

squ1rr3l
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 48

Well I do appreciate the suggestions anyway.  I like the way the phone works, it just seems like there should be some way to manage the storage better.  I'm debating now whether to try starting over or just try some clean up of what I've currently got.  I did some linking and un-linking of contacts already, I'm just not sure if re-doing that stuff is more work than continuing some clean up of stuff from here forward.

Maybe I'll try working with the address book from the PC tools.  Should be a little easier that way anyhow.

Thanks again for the ideas.  At least now I know what the issues are.  Hopefully there will be an SD storage option soon.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 15 of 48

Your welcome.

I too wish that there will be a option for storage, and apps to sd. I know that 2.2 has this feature. But the flipside is not listed on the upgrade page, so im not sure if and when we would see 2.2. I like this phone as well, i upgraded from the backflip, which i like as well, to the flipside which is much faster then the backflip.

Good luck,

J

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

_travis
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 48

I've also ran out of room on my Flipside, I've only had it since the end of January and I've already seemed to have run out of space. It's so frustrating because I have a 16GB SD card that is practically empty.

I've heard about using apps2sd but it only seems to be available in 2.2 and cyanogen, neither of which is available for this phone. Is 2.2 something that we can look forward to or am I stuck juggling apps for the next 2 years of my contract?

marvin02
Bit Torrent
Message 17 of 48

The Flipside has limited internal space for apps. You have to decide what you need most. Apps2Sd is a feature of Android 2.2 so not available on the Flipside. My phone runs fine with about 25-30 mb free.

----
I am a volunteer.  I own a Backflip and a Flipside. If my advice doesn't make any sense - ignore it! The MotoXprt tag means I spend too much time here. The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. Here's more

Introduced to Android by the Moto Backflip
_travis
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 48

I noticed that once I got the low memory notification, I stopped receiving text-messages until I uninstalled some apps to make room. Then I was immediately receiving all the ones I had missed for the past day. If Motorola doesn't release 2.2 for this phone, it's going to be a long 2-years until I can upgrade again.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 19 of 48

Have you tried clearly the cache?

Ive noticed alot builds up over time.

Thanks,

J

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

_travis
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 48

I didn't know about that, but I'll give it a try the next time I get the error, thanks.