Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjmcclos
What's DOS?
Views: 341
Message 31 of 48

Re: Transfering apps to SD memory

Thanks, but I already came to that conclusion and have been doing exactly that....which doesn't actually solve the problem.  I was really hoping that I could get some usable ideas about how we can work around the limitations without rooting the device.  I do agree, though, that the Flipside is not listed at the motorola upgrade site - and as a lower end phone, I figure that it's pretty unlikely to get any upgrades at all from the history that I see.

Basically, I feel that we're hung out to dry, and I doubt that I'm gonna go this route again.  Pity, since I think that the android O/S has potential...but I now realize what the fragmentation articles have all been about.

drogers81
What's DOS?
Message 32 of 48

Ok, I'm upgrading from the Backflip to the Flipside..so does the flipside have less memory than the backflip?? I thought the Flipside come with 512 ram while the BF only had 256ram?  I had a lot of apps on my backflip and I never ran out of memory..this will be a problem if it has less app storage memory than my backflip..

marvin02
Bit Torrent
Message 33 of 48

There is less space for user installed apps on the Flipside. With both phones running stock Android 2.1 and no user apps installed I had 162MB free on the BF and 115MB free on the FS.

----
If my advice doesn't make any sense - ignore it! The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. Here's more

Introduced to Android by the Moto Backflip
drogers81
What's DOS?
Message 34 of 48

Too bad for the Flipside..I already had to trade it in for the Bravo.  I just couldn't handle all the issues I had with it, mostly the memory issue was the big one for me, and the occasional screen moving on it's own and opening programs...  If 2.2 is ever released for the flipside, it could have a lot better potential.  The Bravo is a great phone though..I have a lot of apps installed and still have 1.02gb of storage left.

jdt
What's DOS?
Message 35 of 48

Yes, there is a way to put your apps on the sd card.

You have to run some programs to do it.  I don't think you need to be a guru on it though.  I will be doing this procedure soon after I learn what's wrong with my usb connection.  This is what needs to be done.

first connect to computer with usb, install root program, backup, format fat32, make a partition and then install link2sd.  Then the phone should fly and you can download as many apps as you want.  There are also other benefits to rooting your phone.  This is a hack procedure.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 36 of 48

This is just a friendly reminder not to discuss modding in any way on these Forum, Please see the community rules.

This does include rooting devices.

Thanks,

J

jjmcclos
What's DOS?
Message 37 of 48

Welcome to the board, JDT!

Yes, we know that rooting the system does allow you to do all of this...but to requote from my post in February:

-----------------

"I was really hoping that I could get some usable ideas about how we can work around the limitations without rooting the device"

-----------------

My Flipside is still under warranty, and I am not going to go this route until either the warranty expires or the usability is so degraded that I have no choice...

And please understand that I don't mean this in any way to be hostile - just pointing out that there are questions here that need to be totally considered.  Keep the thoughts coming!

Mac.

jjmcclos
What's DOS?
Message 38 of 48

Oh, folks, and BTW - (I thought that I had posted this, but now see that I didn't)...

Returning my flipside to factory defaults on the load actually cleared up the continuing memory leak.  I don't have the precise instructions for doing it at hand, but my phone has allowed me to load more apps since then with no continuous need to reboot as had previously been the case.

Let me know if you want me to dig up the methods again, of course...

Mac.

tarahatesherpho
What's DOS?
Message 39 of 48

I'd love to get those directions from you-- my phone is giving me the same problems. ._ .

bgood2
What's DOS?
Message 40 of 48

Yes, kids, remember it's not in Motorola's or AT&T's interest for you to be able to remove the apps AT&T foists onto the phone you pretend you own!  You know, the apps that prevent you from loading apps that YOU might care about?

Sorry, but I'm still pretty angry that AT&T cr@ploaded this phone full to the point it's giving low memory errors.  If Android 2.2 doesn't arrive soon to fix this mess, I'm done.  With Motorola, with AT&T, and with Android.  I *never* read about these problems in the various phone reviews.

Marketing rules!  Caveat emptor!